View Poll Results: Do your dogs wear sweaters and/or coats or other doggie apparel?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, of course! My dog has more sweaters and coats than I do!

9 13.85%
  • Yes, but only for rainy or cold, snowy weather.

36 55.38%
  • No, but I think sweaters and coats for dogs are a terrific idea!

8 12.31%
  • No, I think clothes look silly on a dog!

5 7.69%
  • None of the above (post optional comment below)

7 10.77%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do your dogs wear sweaters and/or coats or other doggie apparel?

Default Re: Do your dogs wear sweaters and/or coats or other doggie apparel?

Zoe Claire wore a Pink fleece after her open liver biopsy and the two boys do have sweaters but don't like them....guess Labs like to be cool without

Mia had some coats - quite a few actually. She was a strange shaped dog apparently - very big in the shoulders with a big, round rib cage which may have been why she had more stamina than any dog I've ever seen but it meant that off-the-peg apparel didn't often fit her. I made coats for her out of fleecy material and they worked very well and she loved them in cold weather. She also had some thermal "underwear" made out of the sleeves of long-sleeved thermal vests I bought at the local op-shop. Us humans wore the vests minus the sleeves and Mia got the modified sleeves.

I've introduced two dogs to clothes (also looked after my sister-in-laws mini poodle puppy for a while) and both accepted their coats with no problem. In both cases I put the coats on them after they'd got a bit chilly so they could see the point of wearing clothes - I don't know if this is why they accepted them so well or if I was just lucky.

Zac doesn't need a coat in our climate - just a warm snuggly bed will do him.

When I was growing up, in a much colder climate than Brisbane, you never, never saw a dog wearing a coat (such things just didn't exist) whereas now it's not unusual to see what looks like a young, healthy lab or similar medium to large, well-furred dog being walked on an evening of around 18 degrees C (about 65F) in a coat!

Alison

Corky does have a few jackets. Even though it doesn't get extremely cold here, Corky still minds the cold weather. When the temps get into the low 40's and 30's, he does wear his jacket, especially because of the pins in both of his hind legs.

Terri
    Last edited by littleone1; 10-24-2009 at 12:10 PM.

For those pups that have more clothes than mom or dad

http://www.petsinclothes.com/index.php?c=2
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Franklin has jackets, coats, a pair of doggles and one time I tried to put booties on him.

By the time I got the third bootie on, he'd taken off the first one

He hates jumpers though. Bailey prefers jumpers to jackets. Odd (but bootiful) little fellows
    Jane and Franklin xx
    ________
    Yamaha Tg77 Specifications
    Last edited by Franklin'sMum; 05-02-2011 at 05:35 AM.

My small dogs (beagle mix and doxie mix) do when it is cold. They don't like wearing them though so the clothes come off as soon as they are back in the house.

The lab mix just goes out naked..

Quote Originally Posted by micki18 View Post

The lab mix just goes out naked..
    Ha ha ha They do love to be naked, though.
    Thanks for the giggle
    Jane and Franklin xx
    ________
    Yzr-m1
    Last edited by Franklin'sMum; 05-02-2011 at 05:44 AM.

I often tried to have Speckles wear sweaters because she was always so cold in the winter and spring. She hated wearing them though. Towards the last year or so, she did not fight it as much and wore them. She was wearing a blue sweater when she died in February, suddenly at home, on our sofa.

Schnapps enjoys wearing bandanas, sweaters, whatever, because of the attention he gets. Toode seems to enjoy them also. She will go to her sweater, and rub her head on it, as though to "tell" us to put it on her. She seems to be somewhat cold natured, although only a puppy. Neither she nor Schnapps are diagnosed with Cushings, only Speckles.

Frankie does not want to go out without a coat or sweater if it is cold.

One thing is, his front legs get stuck in the sweater since he has such short legs. Sometimes, it turnes out to be him having front legs out from the neck portion which is quite funny.

It gets cold here so Desi wears her fuzzy fleece coat most walks and sometimes they both wear fleece boots to prevent foot freeze if its below -15 celcius. For those of you that don't know foot freeze we will get halfway around our walk and someone will hold up a paw and limp. I can carry Desi but not Casey! Casey has a gorgeous green plaid coat with a fur collar but only wears it in the car. They seem to be coldest in the car.
    Ellen, Sweet Angel Casey, Desi and Oreo