Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Casper, 12yr old blue bedlington (update: Casper has passed away)

Default Re: Casper, 12yr old blue bedlington, Cushing's diagnosis, treatment updates

thanks lori will read this article

Default Re: Casper, 12yr old blue bedlington, Cushing's diagnosis, treatment updates

thanks lori it is informative

Dawn, this is from Dechra's client brochure which you can find in the important information section of the forum.

Contact your veterinary surgeon immediately if your dog
    stops eating, drinking or urinating or becomes unwell while
    on Vetoryl® treatment

Your vet is not following treatment instructions posted by the drug company that makes trilostane. He should have easy access to these instructions. I would print out a copy of this for him & ask him why he wishes to continue treatment when Casper is obviously not well.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Dawn,

This is from Dechra's product insert:

Owners should be instructed to stop therapy and contact their veterinarian immediately in the
    event of adverse reactions or unusual developments.

ADVERSE REACTIONS:

The most common adverse reactions reported are poor/reduced appetite, vomiting,
    lethargy/dullness, diarrhea, and weakness. Occasionally, more serious reactions, including
    severe depression, hemorrhagic diarrhea, collapse, hypoadrenocortical crisis or adrenal
    necrosis/rupture may occur, and may result in death.
    http://www.dechra-us.com/files/dechr...ts/Vetoryl.pdf

Please print this out and take this to your vet.

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Dawn, please pay close attention to what Lori looked up on the Dechra product insert for you. Hemorrhagic diarrhea is exactly what you are seeing with Casper when he has the black, tarry stools.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Poor Casper. I need your shoulder to cry on - the vet thas just told us to stop using trilostane and has given us not much hope for the next couple of days.

They say he has now got gastric intestinal problems as well and the main thing is he will not eat anything this is what is worrying us more than anything, they appear to have given up on him, should we persist on asking to change his meds or just leave him as is he is falling all over the place but does not seem to be fased by it at all and is taking it all in his stride.

We really at a loss at what to do now thanks again for your support. dawn

Oh Dawn,

I am so sorry to hear this about Casper. I believe your vet is correct in stopping the Trilostane but I think because of Casper not eating, his gastric intestinal problems, hemorrhagic diarrhea, and now his inability to stable himself, Casper should be taken to an Emergency Clinic and they should treat him.

This could be Addison's or he might have an ulcer...or both. But maybe getting Casper to an Emergency Clinic and having them take a look at him and then they can treat him.

We are here for you, Dawn, keeping you and Casper in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

I wholeheartedly agree with Lori. Your Casper needs to be taken, at once, to an emergency clinic. Just glancing back briefly, it looks like he may have been getting the trilo, well after he started refusing his food. He could be in or on the verge of an addisonian crisis - from too much trilostane. Or there could be other complications, based on the tarry stools - whether that is a result of getting too much trilo or connected to something else going on. But I wouldn't wait to get him in. Sue

Just wondering how you are doing - and a little worried about Casper. Hope all is well.

Love and hugs,
    Ellen, Sweet Angel Casey, Desi and Oreo

Thanks Deb - we feel like the vet has just abanded casper now and is just waiting for the inevitable to happen. If we could get him to eat I am sure we could get him to live a little longer as now just seems to be not looking further than a day or two
    dawn