Thread: Checking in for January 2016

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Default Checking in for January 2016

"Checking in" is a topic that we start on the first of each month. We suspect that we have a good number of members who read the messages regularly but who don't post very often. Maybe that's because their dogs are doing well, or they don't have a Cushing's dog anymore, or they haven't got any questions to ask, or maybe they don't feel very comfortable about posting answers to other members' questions. It's perfectly understandable and acceptable for folks to only post once in a while, but when we don't hear from people, many of us find ourselves wondering what those folks have been up to recently and how their dogs are doing.

It's always preferable to post updates about your Cushing's dog in your own thread/topic (especially if you want feedback/replies from other members) but you can also post a quick reply here if you just want to say hi and let everyone know how you are doing in general.

We'd love to hear from you!

Default Re: Checking in for January 2016

Just saying hello.
    My 14 1/2 beagle just had testing for Cushing's Disease and we should be hearing from our vet tomorrow. She is quite certain she has it due to her blood work (liver and cholesterol numbers up) and other symptoms. She was first diagnosed with kidney disease as she has had issues for 2 years. With amoxicillan her blood work and urinalysis have improved bu the frequent water consumption, accidents, weight gain (a couple pounds at least in 2 weeks), shaking, increased anxiety and numbers for testing are leading her to believe it is Cushing's.

I have been searching for answers so we can make the best decision for her care.

Hi there:

It has been a while since I stopped by. Periodically I post about my two late dogs who had Cushings just to let you know that not all dogs who have Cushings die from Cushings!

Within about a year, both of my dogs were diagnosed with Cushings! Although it is not unusual for older dogs to be dx with Cushings, it is rare to have two in the same household!

Daisy was a malti-poo rescue. We got her at the tender age of 10. She was dx with Cushings when she was 12. It was a very sudden onset as she had had blood work done for her heart about 1 -2 months earlier and that showed nothing. (my vet said those tests would have shown it if she had had it then -and he is a very reputable vet!). It took about 3 months for her medication to be right - as you likely know it can take a while to get the dosage right. She had come to us with an enlarged heart and with the Cushings enlarged two more organs. Quite a lot for a small dog. Still once the meds were worked out she was a very happy dog who went along as all happy dogs do. She had regular blood work done to check on her and all seemed fine. Then, again, a fast onset where it worsened. Another organ was enlarged and we thought we would lose her. As my vet said "you cannot have that many enlarged organs in a dog that size!". She was at the vet's on an IV and simply because she was such a happy dog, she came through it. The vet was amazed as he had no other explanation for it. Just as quickly she had an onset of dementia. She went, within about 6 weeks, from being ill but alert at the vet's, to staring mindlessly at the walls and urinating on herself in her sleep. Sadly it was time. The vet commented that she likely would not even know if I was there when they administered the needle, but I stayed all the same. He was shocked at how fast she went from an alert dog to severe dementia.

Bree was my beloved Havanese I had had since he was 7 weeks old. He was my world and my sunshine. At about the age of three the vets noticed he had an elevated enzyme which often led to Cushings. So, I was trained early in the signs (just as well for Daisy!). His onset did not occur until he was 11. The first time they prescribed the meds they were bang on and he was pretty well symptom free. The vets checked his blood regularly and he was doing so well they said he could easily last 5 years. But, sadly, he also had heart problems. And he had leg problems. I knew that any dog who had three ailments that normally had an average two year life span would not last five years. He continued along happy and with a great quality of life until one morning. He was fine at 6am and in congestive heart failure at 7am. Rushed him to the vet's and he was put into an oxygen tent. It was apparent that if he survived this he would be back within a week. He did appear to be improving but once out of the oxygen tent it was a quick decline. He certainly could not live in an oxygen tent. So, 9 months after we lost Daisy, we had to put Bree down.

Sorry for the drawn out details, but I do post this from time to time just to let people know that Cushings is not a death sentence. It changes your life, but it does not end your dog's life. If Daisy had not suffered from Dementia, and if Bree had not had the heart issues, they would have possibly been around today. YOU can manage this. Yes, your dog is not as perfectly healthy as before, but it is something you can live with.

For the record, Bree missed Daisy so much that we got a puppy (Quincy). Bree was not as thrilled with the puppy but he was ok with it. Once Bree passed on, we needed a playmate for the most hyper and destructive puppy you could imagine, so we got Sage. Quincy's Mom became available about a year later so we find ourselves with three. None fill the void of the previous dogs, but I think the heart stretches to welcome more into it.

I hope this helps someone with their Cushings journey. (You can actually see Daisy (2012) and Bree (2013) on the memorial pages.

Thank you so much for your reply and sharing your story with me. I am sorry you lost two precious dogs so close together.
    The vet said most beagles do not go much past 12 years so am happy to have had her this long. As long as she is happy and not suffering, we will do whatever we can to make things better.
    We are putting her out frequently and feel a bit tired so hoping in that respect things get better. Poor thing cannot help it.
    Thanks again!

Smile Re: Checking in for January 2016

I have to say that after Bree was so ashamed when he peed in the condo (and certainly could not help it with both Cushings and a diuretic for his heart condition) I insisted that any future dogs would be pee pad trained (Bree was originally but I think he either thought that was for babies or simply forgot). All three of my present pups are at home going indoors (and although the boy sometimes misses he does figure one paw is on the pee pad! both girls are excellent) as outdoors. Certainly been nice not having to walk them during ice storms. Granted not sure how the rest of the condo units on the floor enjoy us running them up and down the corridor!

Happy New year. It has been quite a while since I checked in. I do read posts. Ita been a tough year. My cushings Remi is still with us at age 13-1/2. Has been treated with vetoryl for a little over 3 years now. His dose was reduced to 30 mg about 5 months ago from 60. Sadly my little boy Cash (non cushings) went into multiple seizures and died within 24 hours this past March. It was at that time we realized Remi was deaf. He declined significantly after Cash died...we have all had a difficult time with it. Oh....they are Boston terriers.

December 31st we brought a precious little 10 pound female Boston into our lives. She is aalmost 4 years old and a sweetheart. My first female in having Boston's since the 1950s. At any rate...Remi has found a new lease on life through Charlie. He is alive again and interested and more active.

Oh...Remi has had significant hind end and leg weakness and other Neuro problend and is pretty crippled. We started with VOM chiro treatments this past June. Non manipulative treatments. This has also given him a new lease on life and we have been able to reduce his pain pills.