Thread: I think my Aussie Beau has iatrogenic Cushing

Default I think my Aussie Beau has iatrogenic Cushing

My 14 year mini Aussie Beau had an injury to his eye and was put on antibiotic eye drops. It cleared up, but came back after a few weeks. They gave him antibiotic and steroid eye drops. It went away, came back a few weeks later. This time the put him on oral antibiotic and steroid drops and vet said if it came back we had to see ophthalmologist. It came back. Went to new doc, she said eye had to come out. We got appt for a few weeks later. She put him on oral antibiotics and prednisone drops. Went to surgery appt, but we had just found out thru routine poop test he had a parasite. Thread worms I think. So eye doc said we had to treat that first before surgery. She thought his other eye looked red, and had us put drops in each eye 4 times a day. Also did blood test. Regular vet gets us meds for parasite, has to be 5 days the wait a few weeks then 5 days again. In the mean time eye doc calls and said his blood test suggested Cushing. He didn’t have any symptoms at that point. Reg vet said we would do test after parasite med was done. During this whole time we were putting drops 4 times a day in both eyes. Finally do the test, $600 later they said it was inconclusive. From what I have read,you can’t do the test when dog is on steroids, which I told them about when I dropped him off. I had read about the iatrogenic Cushing syndrome, but thought he would need to be on it for longer for that to cause it. From things I have read on here, that is not the case. Beau had blood work 3 or 4 month earlier that didn’t show this. During this time he started exhibiting signs of Cushing. Always hungry, a bit more water, but not as much as food. Weak legs, we have hardwood and he is struggling to get up. Limping, and he seems in pain sometimes. He also acts anxious at night, whimpering and scared, which he never was. He also has a limpoma on his side that seems to be getting bigger, not sure if that is due to this. I am pissed at both vets. The eye doc is the one that said his blood test was elevated and didn’t mention it could be from the prednisone, my regular vet gave him this useless test when I told him about the steroids. I am just confused, wondering if I am wrong about it being iatrogenic. His symptoms don’t seem better and his anxiety is worse. We are giving him half a weed gummy at night and it helps. I am also giving him melatonin and ligans. I hate seeing him struggle like this. He doesn’t want to walk or chase his ball😢. The one good thing is that his eye is fine. He is blind in it, but seems to be adjusting to that. Wow, it actually felt good to write that all out!

Default Re: I think my Aussie Beau has iatrogenic Cushing

Hello and welcome to you and Beau! We’re really glad you’ve joined us and I look forward to replying in more detail later on. I need to head out on some errands right now, but I didn’t want to waste any time in at least welcoming you both to our family.

So hang tight, and I’ll join you here again soon ;-)
    Marianne

Hi and welcome from me as well!

Most definitely any type of steroid can cause Cushing's symptoms, bloodwork will look like Cushing's too so you were correct and the vet should not have tested for Cushing's when Beau was taking the steroid cause this can cause a false positive result. Is Beau still on the steroid? Glad that his eye is fine and is adjusting.

Hugs, Lori

No, we took him off it. His eye isn’t infected anymore, but I don’t think he can see out of it. He isn’t doing well. Having terrible time getting around. Seems to be in pain, crying and whimpering. Drinking lots of water, wants to be outside all the time. Nothing seems to help. It is so upsetting, it has my husband and I snapping at each other, which we rarely do. We have an appt with a new vet next week, hopefully they will be able to help.

I'm wondering if the steroid use may have unmasked some arthritis. Did the trouble with getting around seem to start when the steroid was stopped?

He was diagnosed with some arthritis in his spine quite a while back. Probably 6 years. We never had to treat it after the first time. Just tried to have him not run up and down on the stairs after the ball so much. Occasionally gave him aspirin if he overdid. This is different, his back legs are weak, wobbly and shake. He had none of these symptoms previously, except being a chow hound!