Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 6 y/o cockapoo Bonnie recently diagnosed

Default Re: 6 y/o cockapoo Bonnie recently diagnosed

Hello,
    Its been about a month since stopping the vetoryl. She's eating and drinking a normal amount.
    Can Cushings go away, or go away if overtreated? I'm still very confused on what happened here. If it was NOT Cushings, then something else caused her high liver enzymes.
    Thanks,
    Andrea

Hi Andrea,

In a small percentage of dogs Vetoryl has eroded the adrenal glands so this may have happened to Bonnie. Has a follow up ACTH stimulation test been scheduled?

Hey Andrea,

Here is a good link that explains liver enzymes and what they can mean.

https://www.dvm360.com/view/canine-l...many-questions

Also there is a very rare oddity with overdoses on Vetoryl. Dogs very rarely go into a sort of "remission" after an overdose and the med is stopped. We had a member here years ago whose lab would do this. Her cortisol would drop too low and she would remain med free for quite some time with no signs of the cortisol being too high or too low before the cortisol started to rise again. This is exceptionally uncommon but it has happened.

I would look into the liver link above and do a bit of research on what causes high liver enzymes in dogs as well to see if you find any other condition that fits Bonnie's history better than Cushing's. Be sure to stick to solid sites for research - vet schools, vet clinics, etc. and not things like Dog's Naturally (which is awful!).

Meanwhile enjoy your sweet girl and this break and just keep an eye out for any cush signs that may return. And know you are not alone.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi everyone,

I had a checkup for Bonnie this week. We had stopped the Vetoryl about 6 months ago when she was losing too much weight even at the lowest dose. I was very pleased to hear her cortisol levels were good (3) and liver enzymes were also good (one was very slightly elevated, but the vet was not concerned).
    So it seems we went into remission, like you mention Leslie, after starting on that high dose of Vetoryl.

She gained back some of the weight she quickly lost being on the Vetoryl, but her appetite is normal IMO.

We'll keep an eye out if anything new comes into the mix..
    Thanks all,
    andrea

Andrea, all that sounds great! I am so glad to hear Bonnie is doing so well off treatment and pray it continues. Thank you so much for checking in and do let us keep hearing from you and sweet Bonnie!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.