Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vet thinks my boy has Cushing's. I'm very worried.

Default Re: Vet thinks my boy has Cushing's. I'm very worried.

Hi again, Glen. I’m glad to hear that Kobe seems to be doing a bit better. As far as a possible “false positive” on the LDDS, there’s really no way to know if that’s the case — that’s why it’s best to rule out as many non-Cushing’s stressors as possible in conjunction with the testing. If a dog exhibits symptoms consistent with Cushing’s and there are no other known bodily stresses, then we have greater confidence that a positive result on the LDDS is genuinely reflecting the presence of Cushing’s. It’s like that old saying, “If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....”

To ease your mind, however, there’s not a need to rush into Cushing’s treatment until/unless you feel comfortable with the decision. If you genuinely think that Kobe’s symptoms are improving right now, then by all means, discuss that with your vet. If Kobe truly has Cushing’s, we would predict a return and even a worsening of symptoms over time. So even if his LDDS is positive, you may choose to hold off on treatment for the time being in order to see what develops. You can always choose to treat at any time in the future — whether it’s only a matter of days or instead a matter of months — if the situation changes and his symptoms rebound once again.

Marianne

Could you measure how much he drinks? The normal amount of water a dog drinks is 1 ounce per pound of the dog's weight.

Thanks Marianne. I appreciate your insight. I'm hoping to be as prepared as possible before deciding what to do, so it's good to know I have time to get all the information where I'm comfortable and can think over what path to take.

Though I am eager to get my happy-go-lucky pup back to his old self, where he's rearing to go for walks, and go to the dog park, and see and play with his friends and other people.

Like I said since the antibiotics he's been a little bit better, but his energy is still very low compared to how he used to be.

Speaking of stressors in Kobe's life, I wonder if it could have anything to do with the stress I've been under myself in the last few months and if he is sensing that and it stresses him out? Could I be raising Kobe's cortisol levels just by being stressed out myself and, since dogs are so empathetic, he is getting stressed. Hmmm.

I mean it's not like I'm constantly stressed out around him, and when I am feeling stressed or angry, seeing him actually alleviates a lot of it. And giving him a hug calms me down significantly. In fact, he's sweet because if I happen to get angry over something and he senses it or sees/hears me, and knowing I'm not angry at him (which is practically never), he'll actually come running over to me in order to calm me down. Ha. Apparently he realizes that he calms me down and wants to do so. I know dogs aren't big fans of restraining hugs, so I only hug him very gently and lightly, but right away I feel any stress or anger draining away, my blood pressure and heart rate drop immediately. It's very Zen, but I hope that isn't draining into him and he's absorbing my stress.

I'd been thinking about that recently and trying to remain more calm around him. At least outwardly so, but I know dogs can pick up on things regardless, so I need to work on resolving the stressors in my own life.

But then it's sort of a catch-22, because going for long walks with him, getting that exercise, helped alleviate a lot of stress, but now he's much less interested in going for walks, so that outlet isn't there. I should probably start getting more exercise without Kobe, until he's feeling up to our walks again.

* sigh * Our poor dogs. Us humans are so incredibly lucky that they put up with us and they don't even complain about it. (Well as far as we know. I can only imagine what they say to other dogs at the dog park. )
    Glen, Kobe's dad.

(pronounced Kobay)

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Could you measure how much he drinks? The normal amount of water a dog drinks is 1 ounce per pound of the dog's weight.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah I should probably keep better track of exactly how much he's drinking so I can tell for sure if it's more or less.

I feel like he's been drinking less than he was a couple weeks ago, yet still more than is normal for him and which he was drinking previously. I'm still filling his dish more often than I was just a few months ago or even last summer.
    Glen, Kobe's dad.

(pronounced Kobay)

Hi Glen,

I've been reading along but didn't have anything to add so just lurking on Kobe's thread like a stalker.

Reading your thoughts on sharing stress, I have wondered the same with some of my babies who were particularly intune with me. Bud is the one living now who has that ability to sense when I am in distress and he comes to me, putting his head in my lap if at all possible. Somewhere along the way, someone abused Bud before he came to me and I think he senses we share that trauma as well. The merest contact with Bud during those harsh times is enough to drain away most of my angst but, like you, I worry about how Bud processes what he absorbs from me. So I do my best to give him much more fun times than those hard times. He and I spend mornings and evenings in the bed, just he and I, with lots of contact and talking. We play with his toys often; when we go for walks he is the boss and we stop to sniff what ever he desires....and I often bend down to sniff with him (or pretend to anyway! ). When something in the distance catches his eye, I look there as well and talk about what he sees, tho often I have no idea what he sees! But those little things seem to mean a lot to him. I also take steps away from him to deal with my issues and Mother Nature is best at that for me. Spending a little time outside soothes my Soul every time, even if it's just sitting in the yard and listening to the wind and birds. That old saying, "take time to stop and smell the roses" is very much true in my life. I am prone to walking in the fields and woods near my house and have been seen more than once hugging a tree or kissing a tiny bloom. Silly? Maybe for some but not for me - those simple things are deeply healing for me. I am able to leave a lot of crap in Mother Nature's gentle hands. I have no doubt whatsoever that Kobe loves you as much as you love him nor than he is fully capable of handling just about anything you feel and process it easily, except anger directed at him. Just as Bud loves me and I him. It is our job to find ways to make life the easiest possible for the little Souls in our lives who bring such healing to us...and mine is going outside. So take those walks alone and don't forget to stop and hug a tree every now and then.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I think it is so true that they are tuned into our stress. Sometimes I wonder if my stressful life played any part in Lena developing Cushing's. She always knew when I was unhappy or upset and would do whatever she could to distract me. After she died, I was in so much pain and despair. Gable was the one who took over comforting me. He checked on me every hour or so the day that she died and for weeks after, while I lay on the couch and either slept or sobbed. He mourned for her almost as much as I did.

Now I don't let him or the rest of them see so much anymore. Like Leslie, I find my own time and place and let them be their carefree selves. Now that he's on the meds, he seems so much happier. The stress is gone from his face and he's playing with Cooper again. I can always tell when he's had a good day. I come home from work and every toy is out of the baskets and strewn all over the house! I had forgotten how playful and happy he used to be...feels good.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I want to make something clear - I don't for one second believe we make our dogs sick by "using" them to relieve stress. I believe that is one reason why they were created as they were - to be companions, to be comforts, to ease us when needed. Unless a dog is living in a violent environment where they hear screaming and yelling, things are thrown and crashing around, and other violence then what we are feeling does not make them sick. We do not make our dogs sick with the stresses in our lives. IF the dog does live in a violent environment then, yes, it is very possible to damage them mentally and spiritually. So I want to make that clear.

As for our stresses causing Cushing's - NO. To date there are no known causes for Cushing's other than the Iatrogenic form which is caused by exposure to steroids and can be "cured" by removing the steroids. Not diet, not vaccines, not stress, nothing has been proven to cause Cushing's so far. Hopefully some day research will provide that answer but so far, no.

So you nor Joan should feel the least amount of guilt or concern that you may have caused Cushing's - you didn't, I promise.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Of course in my mind, I knew that, but it's still nice to hear!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) )))))

I absolutely adore John O'Donahue and when I ran across this today I thought of you.

When the mind is festering with trouble or the heart torn, we can find healing among the silence of mountains or fields, or listen to the simple, steadying rhythm of waves. The slowness and stillness gradually takes us over. Our breathing deepens and our hearts calm and our hungers relent. When serenity is restored, new perspectives open to us and difficulty can begin to seem like an invitation to new growth.

This invitation to friendship with nature does of course entail a willingness to be alone out there. Yet this aloneness is anything but lonely. Solitude gradually clarifies the heart until a true tranquility is reached. The irony is that at the heart of that aloneness you feel intimately connected with the world. Indeed, the beauty of nature is often the wisest balm for it gently relieves and releases the caged mind."

John O'Donohue
    from Beauty