Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Introducing Myself and Bulger - Bulger has now passed

Default Just Introducing Myself and Bulger - Bulger has now passed

Hi all. Though I would just say hi to you all and share my so far short experience of having a dog with Cushings. Bulger is a Shih Tzu/Maltese cross.

Back in October of last year my girl Bulger (10 1/2 years young) had a pancreatic attack. She was on antibiotics for 10 days and within 24 hours of finishing the last antibiotic she began to eat and drink and urinate like a dog possessed. She was panting and wheezing constantly. Had a blood test done but all it showed was an ever so slightly elevated liver. Anyway my Vet did a Cushings test and apparently she was off the charts.

It was scary seeing her go from no symptoms to every symptom overnight. She has continued to not follow the norm as she likes to be different and has cost me lots of money at the vets. Something I am sure is to continue. But she is so worth it.

Yes there were bad time and lots of tears and stress but she is doing so well at the moment (touch wood). It isn't the death sentence I originally thought it was - such a relief!! I would like to thank those that are members in the facebook Cushings forum for all their help and advice. I seriously would have been a mess without you all.

Our last test was 2 days ago and the number were excellent and her protein in her urine is down to just trace elements. She still pants, and drinks more than she did pre Cushings, but she is back to her old annoying, grumpy, walk demanding self

Default Re: Just Introducing Myself and Bulger

Hi Laura!

Nice to see you and Bulger here! I'm sure you will find lots of info and support here as well. Oh, and be prepared to play 20 Questions! We aren't really a nosy bunch...just like to get all up in your business with Bulger. We will attempt to establish the history here since many do not belong to FB so any info you want to start sharing will be great.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    (Leslie Hays Richards on the FB group)
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Laura and cute adorable Bulger,

So glad to see you show up on the Forum too. It's been quite the journey for you two.

Glad to hear that Bulgers last stim was perfect and just where it needs to be. She's done really good since last October with only a few blips along the way.

See you here and on Facebook.
    hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Welcome. What a cute baby!! You will get a lot of help and support here. This is the best place to be when your dog has Cushing's. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Hi Laura,
    Glad you joined up here on the forum! Barbara from Facebook here. Hoping Bulger continues to do well and maybe the symptoms will trail off a little more. Seems like so many dogs with Cushings also have gastro issues too...like pancreatitis and irratable bowel. Guess it all ties in with the cortisol...there must be a connection.
    Trixie had a pancreatic attack last month...tested borderline but had all the signs of pancreatitis except for the pancreas itself which looked fine.
    Hope you'll be able to post Bulger's test numbers so others here can learn more.

Barbara

So good to see so many familiar names Yes I think there must be some correlation with Cushings and gastro issues. Bulger has never really suffered from tummy problems till this all started. Fortunately this time her Stim test doesn't seem to have upset her tummy as much as the last few, very happy about that No bleeding ulcer!!! My other non Cushings girl Maggie however is a different story. But think that has more to do with her eating footballs, sticks, honkey nuts, eyes off her toys (yes they do look evil now), leaves....yes the list goes on.

I found that having a Cushings dog I never stop observing all aspects of her life. It has become automatic. Checking her water last thing at night and first thing in the morning is just habitual these days. And I have been very fortunate in that her heart murmur has stayed the same for the past few years and not got worse.

Having read through a lot of the threads though I have to admit I am a softie when it comes to dogs and my 'allergies' play up quite a bit hehe. Nothing like red teary eyes It just helps so much though knowing that support is out there, even if it is just to say hi.

I just wanted to say my Tipper has a heart murmur from all this also. Thank God hers has stayed the same too. I use Manuka honey for Tipper's gastro stuff and acid reflux. You can get it on Amazon, and the higher the number the more potent the honey. You could also try Slippery Elm. A lot of people on here use it for their dogs with good success. You are doing an excellent job. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks for that Patti. Going to look into the Manuka honey and slippery elm. Now I have got through the first 3 months of not having to be tested and all was well I am a little more confident with trying some of the things I have seen mentioned. I think Milk Thistle was another. I do give her a fish oil each day which she loves to play around with before she eats it My other girl has tummy issues so would the honey help her as well?

Have to say I have the utmost respect for Cushing's parents, it can really be a roller coaster of emotions.

Yes. Check out Manuka honey it has such good healing properties it is used on burn victims. Tipper has acid reflux at times. The IMS had looked down her throat and stomach, and said she was amazed at no lesions from the acid, that her insides lookedmlike that of a younger dog. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

Mahatma Ghandi

Yes it seems to have some good reviews. I was looking through the forum about the honey and came across Peety's fur-moms thread where she had used it. Needless to say by the time I got to the last page I was a blubbering mess. It hurts so much to have to say goodbye to them Gave my two fur girls lots of extra cuddles (they weren't impressed as they were already in bed asleep).

I think I will introduce the honey first and see how they go on it. I will start at a small dose and build it up. Thanks so much for that. Am eager to try it for Maggie as well.