Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syd

Default Syd

Thank you for accepting me to the forum.

Syd my 11 year old border terrier was diagnosed with Cushings in June.
    He had a number of symptoms including hair loss, pot belly, hunger, lethargy, drinking and peeing excessively and was put on a daily dose of 30mg vetoryl. The drinking and peeing improved almost immediately but last week we noticed it was increasing again so returned to the vet.
    Based on his last acth test (07 August) she decided to increase his dose by 10mg to 40 mg daily, she explained this as being due to his cortisol levels still being slightly high (219) on his last test but the lab had recommended not to increase his dose as in their experience it would not be necessary.
    He has had 4 days on the increased dosage and so far there has been little improvement, he has to have a repeat acth next week and depending on the results, if there is no improvement they will investigate further, just to add he was tested for diabetes on our initial consultation in June and this was negative.
    This is all new to me and I feel a little overwhelmed and out of my depth, particularly as I have difficulty retaining information. I feel I am panicking unnecessarily but do so miss my bouncy, happy little chap.

Default Re: Syd

Hi and welcome to you and Syd!

It is not uncommon to have a period of finding that sweet spot with Vetoryl. Dogs do well on a certain dose for a while then need an increase or decrease...so this is not something to worry over. It is common. So take a deep breath and try to relax about this part. And BOY! do I know how hard it can be to relax so let's just call this a kettle talking to a pot.

It would help us a great deal if you could get copies of the actual test result for Syd, both those when being diagnosed (ACTH, LDDS, ultrasound, wellness check showing things like BUN, CHOL, etc) and the monitoring ACTHs since starting treatment. This info will help us provided the most meaningful feedback we can.

Can you tell us more about Syd. Does he have any other health issues? Is he on any other meds, supplements, herbs? What prompted the testing for Cushing's in the first place? Were you seeing changed in Syd? If so what were they? The more you can tell us the better. We LOVE details!

I'm glad you found us and know others will be along soon to chat with you.
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks for the reply. I will try and get his test results but I'm pretty sure my vet's will not print copies will ask if they will e-mail them.
    Up until 2 years ago Syd was a happy, typical terrier, very healthy with no vet visits except for routine ones for several years. Then 2 years ago he was attacked by another dog, just after this he became very reluctant to go on walks, we put this down being attacked but gradually he got worse and lost his terrier enthusiasm. I kept saying to my husband that something wasn't right, I've known all my dogs and you can just tell, but couldn't put my finger on it. Vet checks revealed nothing either.

Last year he developed recurring ear problems, itchy and sore, this was put down to allergies so we changed his diet and did see improvement but I still had this niggle, people put it down to aging but I've had terriers for most of my life and this didn't ring quite true, he'd also lost some hair from his tail, his muscle tone on his back legs was disappearing but this was put down to lack of exercise. During his last treatment for his ears he was given a course of steroids when the treatment was completed I again voiced my concerns that something wasn't quite right with the vet, they did a full blood count which showed raised cortisol levels which was put down to the recent course of steroids.
    He was also becoming increasingly hungry all the time, then the little accidents started at night when he'd wet himself or dribble in the morning before he was let out to toilet. I'd not monitored his water intake we'd just fill his bowl as and when needed so I began to measure his water intake before going to the vet's and was shocked to realise he was having approximately 3 pints per day.

Went to see the vet (a new one at the practice) armed with a water sample, this confirmed no diabetes but it was very diluted. A full blood panel was done and this indicated possible Cushings so the relevant tests were done the following day and he was on 30mg vetoryl 2 days later.
    The improvement in his drinking was fairly rapid and he seemed a little more interested in life then we noticed the drinking increasing again.

Hi and welcome to you and Syd from me as well!

Diluted urine is very common with cushdogs and they can also get UTI's frequently, which does increase water consumption along with urine output. When their urine is diluted a regular urinalysis may not pick up any bacteria so an urine culture and sensitivity test is recommended. Has Sydney had this kind of test performed?

Hugs, Lori

Welcome to you and Syd! Leslie and Lori have covered all my questions, so I don't have anything more to add. You are doing a great job! We'll be here to help you along the way. Hang in there!

Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Thank you for the replies, I have to say testing in the U.S. seems much more thorough than here in the U.K..

I have decided to take him back to the vet today to voice my concerns, he is due to go next week for an acth test following the vetoryl increase, I may be jumping the gun, but his wellbeing is my main priority and I'm going with my gut feeling that this increase isn't working and isn't going to. Hopefully they will bring the test forward so we can move on and try to find out what's really going on.

Oh and Lori, I will be armed with a pee sample

Quote Originally Posted by Alipot View Post
    Oh and Lori, I will be armed with a pee sample
    LOL! Good job, Mom!!! Keep us posted, please.

Let us know what you find out! You're doing a good job, Mom!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Well the pee sample may have possibly been a success, I asked outright about the possibility of it being a UTI, she said they'd need a sample which I then gave them, tested again for diabetes and was negative, no blood but there was a little protein, though she did say it was almost pure water, and he has a raised temperature.
    We now have a course of antibiotics and if no improvement will have a full blood count to check liver and kidneys. Thanks once again for your support and advice.