Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sibbie

Default Re: Sibbie

And she's at it again! She'll be two in December. In the past two weeks, she's bitten a couple of my husband's clients, and today lunged at one. She lets people pet her, but when they take their hand away, or turn around to leave, she lunges at them. I told him to keep her on the leash in his lap, and not to let anyone touch her, until I get there to pick her up. I guess she'll have to stay home from now on with the rest of them.

She's not doing so good with other dogs either. She's so bossy at home to the bigger ones...takes Gable on without a second thought. I've been thinking of a training class, but how will that work if she's being nasty with the other dogs?
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Can you try a private class? I know they might be expensive. I got a free one at Petsmart because Tex is a rescue & the trainer was really fabulous. They had a holiday special, buy 1 private class, get one half off, and I decided to try it since there's a few things I'd like to work on with Tex. That was last week, maybe the sale is still on.
    I also have friends who rescue, and they have had an animal behaviorist come to their house, it's pricey but was worth it.

Thanks, Annie...I guess I could try with a private class first. I can't have anyone come here because the three others would be a distraction, and none of them are trained. Today will be her first day at home for more than 5 1/2 hours without either one of us . Probably close to 9 hours. I'm dreading it.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Shana went through some training with jackson and it really helped him, especially in interaction with the other dogs, but I'm not sure how that will translate to home. The private lesson idea sounds good, especially if they would actually come to your home and see the interaction beetween her and the others for themselves.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

The person would probably give me my money back, wish me good luck, and run!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joan2517 View Post
    The person would probably give me my money back, wish me good luck, and run!!
    LOL! I doubt it. But if they do, that's good. They're not worth giving them your money, IMO.

I did take Jackson through a normal "basic obedience" class, as well as the follow-up "intermediate obedience" class. Both were with other dogs in the room and did help him immensely, as Sharlene said. I also took Kira to the same "basic obedience" class, with a different trainer. The reason I took my dogs to this class was mainly for them to be around other dogs and practice focusing on me - just like I need them to do when we are out and about. Or at home. It built trust between me and each of the dogs (mostly Kira though to be honest) so they don't "act out" (as much ).

It also taught me a TON, even though I'd been through the very same basic class many years ago. Oh - and I took a class they offer for people only in understanding dog body language which was awesome! That reminds me, I want to see when they offer it and go again (I can repeat it as many times as I'd like at no additional cost).

Before I went to any of the classes this year though, I emailed a behaviorist associated with the training place and scheduled for her to come over to our house. Remember we had Pepper the beagle at the beginning of the year, and Jackson didn't like him so much? She and I communicated quite a lot over email even before she came over.... and since we decided not to keep Pepper, she never came over. I still learned quite a bit from chatting with her.

Well - that's been my experience anyway. A class might be helpful. Or a behaviorist - not a trainer. A behaviorist.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Well, she can't be an emotional support dog anymore if she's traumatizing them, that's for sure! Maybe she's sick of listening to their problems! Get over it!

Anyway, nothing anywhere when I got home yesterday, I did leave a little early...and nothing today after 7 1/2 hours. Even from Cooper. Maybe she just didn't like having people touching her all the time. She seems quite happy at home, is in my lap now, and didn't even make a move to leave with Victor this morning.

I'm still going to look into training though...she's kinda spoiled, can't understand how that happened...

Thanks, Shana~

Spoiled, Sibbie! shocking hahahaha

Maybe emotional therapy won't be her thing, and it's just the people aggravating her. You could try a bit of a break and see if that makes a difference, reintroduce her gradually and if you notice a point where she starts getting snippy again, then know that is her saturation point for this type of activity.

I'd still try the classes, just to see how she does and what reaction triggers she might have.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I've been brushing up on my training rules these days, and maybe the tension from the people seeing your husband is transferring to Sibbie. Just a thought. I know you'll do this but my friend told me to do your research into behaviorists, get some recommendations from other dog people or your vet, because in her shelter/rescue work there have been some who are less than great, and I don't think they're regulated by law.
    Can't imagine how Sibbie could possibly be spoiled! Tex isn't spoiled at all!

I'll bet he isn't spoiled!

She came with me today traveling around doing all my errands, the first Saturday since she has "retired" from emotional support therapy, and she was good. But when we got back home, she was exhausted. Slept through all my vacuuming, taking down all the Halloween decorations and moving a half a cord of wood that was delivered.

Maybe she was just tired, or didn't like leaving our home while the rest of them got to stay home...who knows.

She is so different from Lena. Lena would've loved to go to work everyday with Victor, or come with me to just stay in my lap all day. I miss my Lee all the time. I love Sibbles to pieces, I love them all...but it was a different kind of love with Lee. I feel so guilty loving Sibble when I loved Lee so much. Sometimes I call her what I used to call Lee and I stop because it doesn't feel right, and it's not Sibbie's fault. I know she loves me, not the way Lena did, and I know she knows NOW that I love her, too, but she's so different. She is so independent, where Lena wasn't, not that she couldn't be, we were just so attached, so a part of each other. Every single memory has Lena in it. I don't want to forget anything that has to do with her.

I've already taken a million pictures of Sibbie so I'll have them when she's gone. It was only film when we got Lee and i'm not even sure I even developed them...and I regret that. I search all the digital pictures all the time hoping she'll be in there...I miss my baby girl.