Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cushmom just dropping in

Default New Cushmom just dropping in

I know it's kinda silly to start a new thread just to say hi, but Hi! My baby just got diagnosed with Cushing's a month ago. I am seeing from the forum here I have not been thorough enough because I don't know any of the numbers of any of the tests...I trust my vet implicitly. Anyway, I guess I am just posting because I am feeling guilty. I feel like I somehow caused this in my little guy. He's just gone downhill so fast. He has basically no hair, calcinosis cutis, horner's, and he has lost over 10 pounds. He is still happy but he is just more mellow than he used to be, and I feel like it's my fault. Last year we rented a room from a woman who gave her dog table scraps and, despite my constant pleading with her not to, gave them to him when I wasn't around. He gained a bunch of weight. Then I left the country for a few months for an internship and he was with my partner, who worked on whipping him into shape. When I got back, we moved again. I feel like all the stress and diet changes are what caused his Cushing's to get so bad. He had been losing a bit of hair for a couple years, but when I got back from Madagascar he had practically none and he had blackheads. He was hungry all the time and started raiding the garbage. A month or so later, the calcinosis cutis had spread a ton. That's when the vets figured out he had Cushing's and hypothyroidism. We started treatment, which is when the Horner's developed AND because he heals so slowly the tip of his tail (which he has been busting open daily for his whole life by wagging it and hitting everything in site) ended up falling off. He is a mess!

Anyway, I don't really know what I'm saying, I'm just rambling, I just can't get over this feeling that I am failing my pup. Thanks for listening.

Here's what he looked like last Feb: https://res.cloudinary.com/rover-com...r7ssl41mpa.jpg

Here's this Feb: https://res.cloudinary.com/rover-com...Oo22akEqbB.jpg

Default Re: New Cushmom just dropping in

Oh, what a handsome boy he is! Now that's out of the way, please read my next statement very carefully: It is not your fault. No, really. It's not your fault.

I mean it.

I also trust(ed) my vet implicitly, prior to this diagnosis. But it's not too late to ask for copies of those tests. They have them in his file and shouldn't have any difficulty getting copies for you. Once you have those in hand, please share the abnormalities from them (along with the reference ranges listed).

What treatment are you using? We want to make sure your vet is following established protocol, with follow-up testing at the right time, etc. to help your pup the best.

Hugs...
    Shana

P.S. It's not your fault.

There has never been a true cause of cushings determined, it is definitely NOT your fault. Now table scraps might cause him to gain some pounds and to even have issues with pancrease due to fatty content, but in general, since he doesn't have those, I doubt they are the issue.
    Cushings is either a tumor of the pituitary or adrenal gland. Or caused by over use of steroids like prednisone or some have elevated sex hormones but not elevated cortisol, this is called atypical. So, you see, nothing about this is your fault.

Now as Shana mentioned, can you get copies of the test results and post anything high or low?
    I just told my vet that I wanted to start keeping a file myself of all the test results so I know what is going on, what we are dealing with and in your case, you can always make the argument that who knows if you move if his files would follow.

So nice that you found out forum and we're glad you decided to say hello.

Welcome
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thank you so much for your reassuring words!

Big Boy is currently on 60mg Vetoryl in the A.M. and .7mg levothyroxine AM and PM.

We did the ACTH stim test about two weeks into treatment and my vet said that he is right where he wants him with his levels. I'm gonna get all the specific paperwork at the next appointment.

Last week he had his prey drive set off by a puppy in daycare. Luckily no one was hurt, but the daycare suggested he go somewhere more mellow for now. So I am considering a move to get him to an environment with less anxiety for him. I also want to start making his food myself. Anyone know any good Cushing's diets?

Wow, this is such a learning journey!

PS he weighs 67 lbs. He usually is closer to 80.

Hi! One of our admin folks, Marianne, previously posted, in response to a similar inquiry from another member, a good summary of info re diets so I wanted to provide that to you here:

Anyway, getting to your main question...As I'm sure you're aware, there are a lot of folks who have very strong opinions about the best foods to feed dogs. Just recently, we've had several folks join us who have told us that they've read that raw diets are best for Cushpups, but I do not know where that info is coming from. I am unaware of any documented scientific studies that have established that any single type of feeding choice is better or worse for all dogs with Cushing's. Such studies may be out there, but I've not yet come across them. Of course, people do share their opinions and anecdotal experiences on the internet, though, and for what it's worth, here's mine.

In honesty, I can't say that during my decade spent on Cushing's forums, I have felt as though any particular style seems more suitable or more helpful for Cushpups. I am not a fan of raw feeding myself, but we do have some folks who feed raw food. Other folks feed the whole range of commercial wet, commercial dry, and homecooked. We have seen dogs who have done very well on each type of food, and dogs who have had problems on each type of food. So my personal, nonscientific opinion is that there is not any single choice that is generally better or worse -- it all comes down to each individual dog's GI system and constellation of health issues.

The general recommendation I do often make is to serve a food that has a moderate level of good quality protein, and also lower levels of fat. Cushings can affect the kidneys in such a way that protein gets spilled into the urine. If a dog experiences significant urinary protein loss, then it's probably best not to include high levels of protein in the diet. The rationale for the lower fat is due to the fact that Cushpups may have a higher vulnerability for developing pancreatitis, and higher fat diets may heighten this risk for some dogs.
    Last edited by judymaggie; 06-14-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

Hello:

I'm far from an expert here, my poor baby is not doing well but she is maintainingng her weight. We changed her to grain free in Dec/Jan. 2016. Fromm is the name of her food, small family company. Twice a day I make her a grain free waffle and spread pumpkin puree on it. She loves it and I have read the pumpkin (just pumpkin, no other ingredients) fiber helps the nutrients in their food be absorbed in their body. She has lost alot of muscle, however her weight is steady 58-60 lbs. We just introduced goats milk to her. It is supposed to be very beneficial for their health. She loves it , 1/2 cup daily--Answers Pet Food raw goats milk.
    Good luck to you. Remember, it's not your fault, it's a medical condition.

Thank you so much for that information! He is on Wellness Grain Free right now, but I have been adding in chicken and broccoli. I love the waffle and pumpkin and goat milk ideas. There is a naturalist vet in town who everyone recommends who does nutritional counseling, so we may go see him.

Have you guys experienced the behavioral and mood changes? Anything help with that?

I think we're gonna be amputating his poor tail. Do you guys know anything about how cushpups do with sedation? My vet says it will not be a problem, but I'm still worried.

I see in your previous post that Big Boy has calcinous cutis (CC), how is that doing? CC can be quite painful so usually a pain med is prescribed, and that CC will get worse before it gets better. On the forum we have also seen that getting that cortisol below 5 ug/dl is critical in getting control of it.

What behavioral and mood changes are you seeing in Big Boy? Thyroid problems can alter a dog's disposition and since your sweet boy is on thyroid medication have his levels been checked recently?

Could you post his monitoring ACTH stimulation tests?

When the Cushing's is controlled complications are less likely. My boy, Harley, had 3 teeth extractions that were performed at one sitting, and this was when his Cushing's was not controlled, he sailed right through this surgery with flying colors, no complications at all. Harley's vet did state that they would be doing things a bit different with him since the Cushing's was not controlled: like pushing more fluids before, during, and after surgery; using a different kind of anesthesic that's not as hard on a dog with some type of illness, I believe it was Propofol.

Hugs, Lori

PS...just looked at Big Boy's pics and he sure is a handsome fellow!

Hi! Just wanted to add to Lori's feedback re surgery on a Cush pup. My 13 year old beagle had spinal surgery for a herniated disk in her neck in February. She came through the surgery without issue and it was a fairly long surgery. She bounced back afterwards amazingly quickly. Her cortisol levels are controlled.
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL