Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue, 6 1/2 yr old, Lyso, Calcinosis cutis (Blue is at peace)

Default Blue, 6 1/2 yr old, Lyso, Calcinosis cutis (Blue is at peace)

Hi there,
    I am new here, although I have not posted,I do read through threads.
    Our 6 1/2 yr old neutered male AB ,BLUE , was diagnosed w CD 1/15 . Since we first brought him home from a backyard breeder at 6 wks( just couldn't leave him there another day in the conditions) he has been through more than any one pup should . Rare parasites ( parents were fed "whole home chickens") . Intestinal blockage, blood infection, continuous ear issues, allergies to all things Florida, esp. Insect stings and most food ingredients; cysts, cuts and bruises,eye infections. Despite it all, he's 85 lbs of warmth and we do all we can for him to be comfortable.
    He was on maintanence dose of lysodren (2xwk) so we could monitor how he would do. His retest today showed his numbers are only down by about 2 pts. But he is doing OK . SO now he will receive lysodren 5 days on, 2 days off, along with HMR lignans , melatonin, and Nuvet Plus daily. Our 7 yr old AB ABBY , is fine, energetic plus, healthy plus- from a responsible breeder. Our little cur rescue is great too- all 3 love nuvet plus and I believe it is what helped Blue survive the beginning symptoms of CD . Yes, he drinks, eats, snores, limps, and pants, BUT he is breathing normal, eating less, is no longer aggressive, and walking abit more spry. But the calcium deposits are numerous and some have begun to break. We keep them clean, and I rub coconut oil on them in the a.m. Doesn't hurt or help, but I feel better. I can't imagine NOT being able to DO something for him, and my husband didn't want to use drugs, but I am the caregiver and now he is glad I did the research and stepped up. Blue IS his first pet and he adores this dog, and just couldn't deal with the diagnose.
    Today was a good day for us. Thanks for being here, Joan .

Default Re: Blue, 6 1/2 yr old, Lyso, Calcinosis cutis

Aww so glad you rescued Blue. I am sure he is much happier too.

I have noticed that to get that cc taken care of quite often the post cortisol number on the ACTH needs to come down to just under 5 ug. That is just a trend that I seem to see here on the forum. Then all the deposits that are already there have to break through and come out. Cycle through. I am sure it scared your hubby but it is better for blue to have that comfort and in the end your hubby will feel better once blue feels better I bet.

It sounds like horrid conditions he was in. Now he is king of his world. . Awesome.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I moved your post to start a new thread for Blue. We like to keep each pup in their own thread. It makes it much easier to look back thru the history if needed plus it can serve as a sort of log or journal as you and Blue journey with us. We are glad to have you all join our little family here.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you Sharlene and Leslie.
    Blue is having a good day. People ask ? Good day!?
    Yes, he woke at 7 a.m. After sleeping all night. After a yard walk, he ate - he is on "venison &barley" by nature' s valley Prairie . Gave him his 1 lysodren , 3mg.melatonin, and his vitamin. Instead of bed , he sat out on the patio, watching the birds and the squirrels. Came & sat w me in officewhile I did stuff ; at 12 he got up & went to door - his pre-CD signal HE Needed to go out. Success! Then he headed to garage for lunch and his lignans, 3 mg melatonin and his vitamin. He is sleeping soundly ! Gassy but what else isn't new!?
    Around 5 he'll eat his last cup of food, 6mg of melatonin and his 2nd dose of novifit . Takes his pills in cream cheese, a favorite. I'm going to try to post his test results over the wkend . The reason I changed up his melatonin, is because he was sleeping so much and not getting any exercise- so when he would be standing I'd notice leg tremors- I would imagine from lack of use. He hasn't had a head tremor since Sunday and wondering if anyone else sees these tremors.
    He is 85lbs. And is now eating 3-4 cups food , due to allergies he can only do venison. Anyone else in this dilemma $$$ . Ideas, suggestions? Thanks, Joan
    Last edited by Blues people; 02-26-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Misspelled words.

He was on maintanence dose of lysodren (2xwk) so we could monitor how he would do. His retest today showed his numbers are only down by about 2 pts. But he is doing OK . SO now he will receive lysodren 5 days on, 2 days off, along with HMR lignans , melatonin, and Nuvet Plus daily.
    Hello Joan, welcome to you and Blue! He is a lucky boy to be loved and cared for by you. I am hoping you can tell us more about his Cushing's diagnosis and treatment, though. Has he been diagnosed with elevated cortisol, or are you instead treating him for elevations in adrenal hormones other than cortisol?

If Blue suffers from the elevated cortisol of conventional Cushing's, then I am puzzled by his Lysodren regimen. It sounds as though you are giving him Lysodren five days of every week, now and in the future? Actually, I am not aware of any Lysodren protocol whereby you would be dosing him that frequently on a longterm basis. With conventional Cushing's, there is typically a short daily "loading" period followed by an ongoing maintenance phase in which an approximation of the single daily loading dose can be divided into portions and given over the course of each subsequent week. For treatment of elevated hormones other than cortisol, the loading phase does not occur and the lower-dose maintenance phase is all that takes place.

Is this what you are doing with Blue, and will this be an ongoing pattern? How much does Blue weigh, and how much Lysodren are you giving him each day?

Marianne
    Last edited by labblab; 02-26-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: To reword.

Hi Marianne, and thank you. I know I wrote mixed and confusing info! Was trying to write when I was tired,,, not good. I will get everything together tonight after work and post. Just a quick response - we didn't do a loading at first becAuse he was in such rough shape and due to all his allergies and med reactions. But now we are feeling confident he will do okay. So we are moving forward. Thanks... Joan. (85 lb ideal ) was 90 5 wks ago.

Hi. I am back. It's been crazy here at our place. Selling 1 house, buying another, daughter moving into her own place, family visits, extra dogs visiting and work. I am sure you all know the same . And Blue.
    So, I will try to get all his numbers posted:
    Test Result baseline. Result dex supp. Post ACTH
    CORTISOL. 8.1. 5.9. 19.9
    Androstenedione .85 .72. >10.0
    Estradiol. 101.5. 87. 94.0
    Progesterone. <0.20. <.20. 4.23
    17 OH PRogest. .32 .37 23.3
    Testosterone <15.0. <15.0. <15.0
    Test done at UOT on 1/8/15

On 2/24/15 we just had a cortisol test run.
    Sample 1 baseline was 6.8
    Sample 2 after injection was 17.1

He was originally on a Maintenance dose of lysodren 2 tablets 500mg.twice week. For 4 weeks
    Now he is on 1 500mg for 4 days, off 1, on again for 3, off 1 then 4 on, off 1 , 3 on. Etc.
    he is also on 3mg melatonin a.m. And noon and 6 mg before bed.
    HMR LIGNANS 2 40 mg capsules daily.
    Novifit L 2 tablets daily
    He eats natures prairie venison and barley food due to beef and chicken allergies.
    He also gets Nuvet plus vitamin 3 x daily, and will decrease to 1 when his numbers and health are better.
    He is on allergy shots - HESKA . For all things florida!
    Last edited by Blues people; 03-07-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something

He is much more alert since we started novifit and spaced the melatonin.
    His US on 1-9-15 showed extremely enlarged adrenal glands but no tumors.
    His constant hunger has decreased but I feel it is within normal .his water intake is still what one might consider a lot , but I don't think it is as much as previous. He has always been a huge drinker, his panting is almost nonexistent ,and his sleep breathing is back to calm. His bathroom accidents are infrequent , usually only when we are gone longer than 4 hrs.

My worry now is the CC. it is now covering most of his shoulders, and his outer abdomen sides and hips. They are dark, crusty, and smell like a mold. Tried cleaning at first w peroxide wash and then neosporin, bacitracin . Then we tried some coconut oil, then just a simple compress. My 3 vets have cushing dogs, but not CC involved. So any advice would be appreciated. I did see Bella also has CC issues and was reading that thread. We are thinking of taking him to the ocean this week,it always seemed to help his allergy rash- but not sure if it would hurt , literally- or help. I do have a few sprays we keep in his med drawer- pramoxine and chlorhexidine sprays and shampoos. His new spots haven't erupted as yet, but are pink , hard and hot to the touch. I just went and picked some fresh aloe, thinking maybe it would help while he sleeps.
    Would love to give him a Benadryl for itch, but I worry about his kidneys .
    So, this is where we are at.just when I feel we shouldn't prolong his ordeal, he jumps up when he hears our cars, goes to greet our little 2 yr old, and follows our resting spots. He has even tried to play ball w our grandson. So, we keep going and hoping for the next little triumph. Thanks all, Joan