Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 & half yr old Boxer, heart questions

Default 12 & half yr old Boxer, heart questions

Hi guys,

My lovely boxer George was diagnosed with cushings 2 weeks ago. It took us 3 weeks to get all the tests done.

He had the peeing and drinking problem, but never the ravenous apetite.

WE had him on Cushex drops while awaiting test results and he is now on Vetoryl.

2 days before we put him on vetoryl he suddenly went back to normal toileting. Normal drinking and no peeing in the house ?

His heart rate went up to 180 + But was acting normal.

He now wont eat anything. IS drinking ok and not peeing himself.
    He has lost so much weight this past 2 weeks making his pot belly look bigger.

His heart rate went back to a normal 100 yesterday and vet was happy with that. Today it's sky high again, he vomited up 20 mins after we gave him the vetoryl and after a short walk out for a pee, fell over, paniced cause he couldn't get back up, gums went white. Then after a couple of minutes settled and was back to normal and is now sleeping.

Anyone had such an experience ? As in suddenly going back to normal toilet habbits before meds ? And heart problems like these ?

Incidentally I am awaiting a call back from the vet !

Donna x

Default Re: 12 & half yr old Boxer, heart questions

My immediate worry would be that his cortisol/aldosterone production may have dropped too low due to overdosing with the Vetoryl. This can produce an Addisonian condition that can quickly become very serious. Was George seen by the vet yesterday? Did the vet test his blood?

If not, I think the vet needs to see him ASAP so that his cortisol level and basic blood chemistries can be checked. And no more Vetoryl until you know the results. Especially in view of the fact that the thirst/urination had resolved before even starting the drug. Makes one wonder whether George may not really have Cushing's at all. Or as a different possibility, that he may suffer from a type of adrenal tumor that is intermittently causing symptoms, including the rapid heart rate. Has George had an abdominal ultrasound performed that provided imaging of his adrenal glands?

Marianne
    Last edited by labblab; 01-22-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: To add.

Please listen to Marianne and take you dog to the vet immediately. Get his electrolytes checked also. How much does he weigh and how much of a dosage did you give him? Please no more Vetoryl. Go to the vet. Please get copies of all testing done and post all abnormal numbers for us to see and the normal range given by the lab as they are all different. We can see what is going on that way. God Bless you both
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Yes ultrasound was done same time as the Dex test. no masses were found but they said dex test confirmed Adrenal Cushings.

Vet didn't check him yesterday it was via email. Vet called just now and we are taking him in in an hour and a half.

Ask your vet about the possibility of a pheochromocytoma. If this is the problem, it ought to have shown up as an adrenal mass on the ultrasound. But adrenal imaging can be tricky and it takes high-resolution equipment to get a clear view.

Marianne

If no mass was found on the ultrasound, then how can they confirm adrenal cushings?

And, I didn't think an LDDS could diagnose adrenal cushings?

I would stop the vetoryl immediately, and not even consider going back on it until you have everything else squared away. If his symptoms went away, then there is no immediate need for the meds. Also, sudden weight loss is not a symptom of cushings.
    Reneé
    Mom to Tobey, Ichiro & Skeeter. Foster mom for Polar Pug Rescue

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance…there is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.”—Cardinal John Henry Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    If no mass was found on the ultrasound, then how can they confirm adrenal cushings?

And, I didn't think an LDDS could diagnose adrenal cushings?
    A Low Dose Dex test cannot diagnose adrenal Cushing's, but a High Dose Dex test is used for that purpose. Right now, we don't know which Dex test was done. But absolutely right, adrenal Cushing's would involve an abnormality that you'd expect to see on ultrasound.

Marianne

Thanks for clarifying Marianne. I was a little confused, as I am relatively new to this too! When Tobey had her LDDS, it was inconclusive for pituitary vs adrenal.
    Reneé
    Mom to Tobey, Ichiro & Skeeter. Foster mom for Polar Pug Rescue

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance…there is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.”—Cardinal John Henry Newman

Just back from the vet.. He's now got right side heart failure.
    Potassium high.
    Been given vetmedin and frusimide and back tomorrow morning to see if it's reduced the heart rate.

If not then they are going to try a Digoxin.

Vetoryl stopped.

Can't tell me why his toileting was back to normal ??

Hello and welcome. I'm so glad that you got in to see the vet. Very sorry though to hear of the heart problems.

It could be that he wasn't actually having cushings, but having high cortisol because of the heart problems. I'm not sure if this is the reason, but it could be since cortisol can go high when other problems are present.

Another possibility is a pheo as mentioned by Marianne. Often they don't show up in the first ultrasounds. At least 2 members, had multiple ultrasounds before the pheo was seen. A pheo, is not always active, but when it is, then BP will go up, etc and symptoms can be seen.

However, BP also could fluctuate due to the heart problem. I hope that the meds help with that.

Crossing fingers! Do let us know how you and George are doing.
    hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)