Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Member Needs Help for Coco Joey

Default Re: New Member Needs Help for Coco Joey

Slippery Elm (SEB) is used for many issues, it coats the stomach and helps to diminish the accumulation of acid in the stomach. SEB contains many nutrients (carbs, protein, fat, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, calcium, and trace minerals) that can be beneficial for a dog that is not tolerating food at that time. One word of caution, though, is that it is recommended that you not give slippery elm within two hours of other medications because it may affect their absorption. Here's a link where you can find more info about SEB: http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

The pacing could be from pain and/or the Vetoryl not agreeing with her tummy.

Pacing could also be from the tramadol. A long time ago my Haley was given it and the dosage was the standard rx for her weight. OMG it was a nightmare - I was up all night - it made her bonkers. She would not quit walking, she walked into a wall/corner and just stood there like all doped up... I finally went to bed because the pacing drove me nuts but I got up at 2 am and there was diarrhea all over the living room.

Luckily our australian posters helped me keep my sanity that night. I knew it was the tramadol. Come to find out many of us found that the standard dose needed to be halved for our cush dogs.

My Annie however tolerated it fine and did not pace.

Just sharing... Kim

There are so many nuances to this ... it's just awful and heartbreaking. So much seems like trial and error.You guys are angels for what you do.

As an update, I started giving Coco some baby food (turkey & veg thinned down with Pedialyte) ... that way I could get it in a squirt bottle. She just laid on the bed and let me squirt it in her mouth. She must be that hungry.

Not only is she taking it, she is taking straight Pedialyte too and holding it all down. She looked really weak just lying there. I wanted her to go out potty, so I rang the door bell. She was up like a shot and went out potty, so she was moving OK.

In a little while I will try some infant oatmeal thinned with Pedialyte also. I will try a 4 hour schedule, just like a baby to see if I can get some strength and appetite back.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers ...

Mary

You are obviously a tremendous mom. Getting food in the system is important but don't overdo it. Small amounts throughout the day. Pedialyte should help as much as the food. Sending warm thoughts and prayers, Kim

Thank you for you vote of confidence.

Can I get some feedback about the dog being lethargic?

How extreme have you guys experienced?

Coco Joey just lays around. She will get up to go potty and sometimes get up to eat. (I think the eating is tied to the whole pancreatitis thing) But that is it. She never wags her tail or kisses anymore. If you ring the door bell 9 times out of 10 it will still trick her out to come running and barking, but it does not last long.

My vet feels she is too lethargic for Cushings, which is why he is pushing for the neurologist.

I wonder if it was just a "perfect storm" situation for her. The Cushings causes the lethargy, but she should be eating and drinking. The pancreatitis causes lethargy and makes you not want to eat or drink. The less she eats or drinks, the less energy she will have (she has lost 10 lbs). The less energy she has the less moves, less she moves the weaker she gets.

As I mentioned, she will be on her new dose of Vetoryl 2 weeks on 9/21. We are giving her baby food and pedilyte since Sunday all of which she is holding down. Last night I started my first dose of slipper elm. She actually came in the kitchen while supper was cooking and begged for some corned beef. We go for her next retest 9/19.

My family is starting to think it is time to let her go. I want to go out fighting but not make her suffer. If I am close to getting this thing under control, I don't want to give up ... but I don't want to fool myself and make her suffer.

Is the lethargy we are experiencing similar to others or extreme?

Thanks for your input...

With love
    Mary & Coco Joey

As I mentioned, she will be on her new dose of Vetoryl 2 weeks on 9/21.
    I am reading this to mean that Coco Joey has been taking the Vetoryl this whole time while she is steady getting weaker? If that is the case, please, please, please stop the Vetoryl and give her some prednisone asap. Then have an ACTH and her electrolytes checked asap...as in today if at all possible.

I pray I am misunderstanding and that the med has been withheld while she has been ill.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I see that it was stopped then restarted several times, dose changes, etc.. It makes me very nervous that she is taking the Vetoryl and acting worse. How are her stools? Any signs of nausea? any vomiting? When was the last ACTH?

I'm still wondering about diabetes - it can come on very rapidly and the lack of appetite and weight loss fit with diabetes better than Cushing's. They also fit with pancreas issues as well. If she were mine, I'd stop the Vetoryl for now and not restart it until she was eating well again and a bit stronger, more alert and interactive. And I'd definitely be calling her vet. Something doesn't seem right for such a drastic change in behavior and weight loss.

Listen to your gut and Coco Joey. They will guide you best of all in making decisions concerning her care and life. You know her best; she trusts you most. We will be by your side all the way - we trust you, too.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I'm wondering if it isn't better to just not give vetoryl until you are positive that the pancrease is alright? Most people don't give the vetoryl when their dogs have pancreatic attacks. That might be causing much more lethargy.
    I'd stop the vetoryl, concentrate on the pancrease and then resume when things are better. Vetroyl can cause effects to be worse I'd think if given during an illness and the recommendation from the manufacturer is to not give it.
    Yes, you get some lethargy but it usually clears up and become more normal activity levels with controlled. However, over control, other illness going on, can all cause more lethargy and be not good for them.

Things to think seriously about.

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I don't have anything to add to conversation, but want to say I'm glad you found the forums and the folks around here are PAWSOME.
    Angela