Page 223 of 228 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 2276

Thread: Daisy Mae - our sweet Daisy has crossed The Bridge

Default Re: Daisy Mae - our sweet Daisy has crossed The Bridge

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad, Val.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Me too!!! Thinking of you both.

Kathy

Praying for you and yours.

Oh gosh, I do hope he gets better and you can spend some quality time together.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Dad is a Navy veteran. He served on the minesweeper "Verden" during the Korean war and was one of the people required to wrap the engine pipes with asbestos. They did this with bare hands and no mask. All of his life he has been plagued with bronchitis and pneumonia and always came through like a trooper.
    As an adult, his primary care physician noticed a spot on his left lung. They watched it for years and it did not change. In the Fall of 2011 dad was diagnosed with stage 3B lung cancer. The doctors agreed that it was safe enough to postpone treatment until after the holidays. Exactly one weeks after diagnosis, my mother had a massive stroke (dad had been caring for her, she had Parkinsons). One week after this she passed away at which time I had graduated from college and moved back home to care for dad and am still doing so.
    He developed radiation pneumonitis after ending radiation and chemo. This causes additional scarring to the lungs and only 15% of the people who undergo treatment develop this complication.
    Dad has passed the two year cancer free mark and was doing amazingly well despite the pneumonitis. Then he developed COPD. He'd quit smoking years ago, but still got it. COPD has had a much more debilitating affect on dad than the cancer did!
    Recently, I was told that dad has major damage to his trachea and esophagus due to the radiation therapy. This is even more rare than the pneumonitis. Basicallt, the COPD, pneumonitis and existing scarring of his lungs created copious amounts of mucus. Normally, our airways are tight and smooth, with little hairs that assist us with moving the mucus up and out of our body when we cough. Because of the damage, dad retains the mucus in pockets in his trachea (think of a saggy sock). The mucus falls back down to his lungs too when it gets excessive and serious, life threatening infections occur overnight. Literally.
    He has gone from hospital to nursing home so many times that he has not been home since July 2015. The doctors at Smilow/Yale can't repair the damage. There have been studies but nothing that the FDA will approve and we are at least ten years away from stem cell research because lung tissue has a minimum of 30 different cells

Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown

Unhappy Re: Daisy Mae - our sweet Daisy has crossed The Bridge

My heart emoticon broke at 7:30pm tonight. We honored dad's wishes and took him off of the ventilator tonight. He passed away surrounded by all of us which he made him happy. He couldn't speak, but looked around the room at each of us several times. Dad is dancing in Heaven with mom. I'm sure of it. Their love reunited them now for eternity. I love you both more than words can ever express. (January 28, 1933 - November 13, 2015).
    Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown

Valerie,
    I am sorry to hear that your Dad has passed away. My sympathy goes out to you and your family.

Linda

Oh Val. I salute your father this morning, and I salute you. He gave the gift of his life to protect our country, and you gave the gift of your heart to do everything within your power to protect him. My own heart goes out to you this morning, knowing that your life is forever changed. Your family here is honored that you will allow us to support you today, and each day forward.

Sending so many hugs to you, Val, and my deep sympathy on your loss.
    Marianne

Oh Val, words cannot express my sorrow as I read your post.

We came to know your family and your father will always be honored and remembered here.

We surround you with love and express our deepest sympathy.

Val, I am so, so sorry for the loss of your dad.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Dear Val, I am deeply sorry for your loss. My sympathy goes out to you and your entire family at this time.

Hugs,
    Kathy