Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need input- daughter's pom at ER

Default Need input- daughter's pom at ER

My daughter’s 16 year old Pomeranian is at ER. He was sleeping in his bed, suddenly got up, started running in circles, rubbing his head and body, his eyes were watering and he was distressed. He does have a bit of collapsing trachea but there was no coughing, honking or gaging. His gums were pink. He then started drooling a lot and threw up. That seemed to make him feel better and he calmed down and even ate some of his food. He was not panting heavily or breathing hard but it seemed like he was having trouble breathing and whenever he went to put his head down, it was like he could not breath and would pick it back up. The xrays showed nothing, they are going to look down his throat next. His heart is fine. He is on oxygen and now yellow stuff is starting to come out of his nose. My daughter thought he is having an allergic reaction and ER says no because there is no swelling.

Any ideas?
    They don’t know what is wrong with the little guy. I am heading there as soon as I get out of work.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Default Re: Need input- daughter's pom at ER

Allergic reaction is the very first thing I thought of, too! And I still wonder if that's not it. Don't know if you saw a reply of mine on Squirt's thread, but my Luna had a hyperacute allergic reaction last Friday. Suddenly jumped off the couch after having been asleep, pawed at her face, raced into a corner, she did hack several times, but also had mucousy slime coming out of her mouth. The hacking didn't last long, but we could tell she didn't feel right even afterwards. And the thing is, her face did end up swelling, but not until the next morning. Both she and Peg have had weird episodes of excessive drooling lately, too. When I told the vet about this stuff, she said it all could be related to allergic reactions and that maybe they both are getting into something in the yard when I turn them out. So I still really wonder if that's what's going on with your daughter's baby. We gave Luna an antihistamine and the vet gave her a steroid injection and she was remarkably improved within just a little while. She came home on prednisone that we didn't even end up using because she recovered so quickly once she got that antihistamine and anti-inflammatory.

Marianne

Could he have gotten into something that poisoned him? That yellow stuff coming out of nose sounds horridly scary. Do they tummy pump dogs? that is so hard though if they have trachea issues I'd think. I really don't know, allergy or poison is the only thing I can think of.

I hope you get some good results and get to the bottom of it.
    hugs,
    Sharlene
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

What a bloody mess, they insist it is not allergic reaction, they sedated him and pulled some teeth, sent him home on morphine and he is still breathing weird, what a dang mess, poor Chewy.

Gotta run
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

Why are they so convinced it's not allergies??

Sharlene
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

What the heck?????? Where did the teeth come into this?? He's having trouble breathing, and they pull teeth???

I wonder if they found an infection in his teeth. It sort of sounds like that is what they think, well, one hopes since they pulled teeth that they actually had a reason to do so.
    So, maybe his sinus passages are infected too and that would be why yellow was coming out the nose?
    I'm really grasping at straws here. Just seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

Sharlene

Thank you for that suggestion, Sharlene! That, at least, makes some sense!!!!! Although if the little guy is having trouble breathing, I'd wonder whether depressing respiration further with the morphine is such a great idea...??
    Last edited by labblab; 02-01-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: To add.

Addy, definitely watch the morphine tonight. Is there no other drug they could have given him for pain?!
    Morphine is not a good option with respiratory problems. Did they by any chance also put him on antibiotics?

If they didn't we might have to go over and kick some ER butt.

yellow usually is either bile or infection, they must give antibiotics for I think it is at least 2 week supply with infected teeth and I am pretty sure it is given when any teeth are pulled due to the very high possibility of infection occurring. (my neighbors westie has had an awful time with her teeth and I am sure that is what they told me about the antibiotics)

Okay, I am back. He is making a high pitched wheezing sound and sounds congested. I googled stridor and it said it could come from a bacteria infection and blocked nasal passges which they think is secondary from his bad teeth they pulled. It can also can come from his trachea or larynx. I sat with him for half an hour. He wants to put his head down and he cant and he like stretches his neck which they mentioned in the article I found. My daughter is to check his breaths per minute and has Tramadol for pain which he can start tonight before bed.

So that makes sense with the yellow stuff in his nose but why would it start so suddenly? He was perfectly fine this morning when Chris left for work.

This whole thing is so bizarre and my oldest granddaughter is sobbing her heart out. I told her she has to be brave for Chewy so he does not get scared and we had a nice talk and she seemed better when I left them.

I feel so badly for them and for little Chewy. I'm hoping against all hope the anitbiotics help with this and his regular vet can come out to the house to check him next week.

I told Chris to keep monitoring his breathing. She is a medical technican so she knows.

Well, Zoe's up for potty break. I'll make sure she has two weeks of antibiotics. Thanks guys, love you!!!!!!!!
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko