Page 101 of 367 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 3670

Thread: Tipper - adrenal tumor/breathing issues

Default Re: Tipper my Jack Russell is having breathing problems

Hope you feel better, Patti. Big smooches to Miss Tipper.
    As for the BP, please remember about the white collar- high blood pressure. All patients, humans and pets we get nervous when we go to the doctor, but our cush pups get even more anxious and that affects the measurement of their BP.

Hopefully Tipper's BP would be perfect.

When we went with Truffa to see the vet, I asked them to let me stay in the room for quite some time, I took a pillow for my baby so she could cuddle and relax , and be less anxious about being at the vet. If it weren't for that strategy they would have kept upping the dose of both the amlodipine and the benazepryl. I used L'Arginine to help naturally lowering the BP, and with that addition the dosage of both medications was very low and my baby's BP was always OK.

But for now l'll keep you and Tipper in my thoughts
    Marcela & The Choco Labs
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

HI Patti
    I agree with the others that white coat syndrome does play a big part in getting accurate BP measurements. Flynn has hypertension and has regular BP checks monthly. We have had real trouble getting it under control but now he is on amlodipine and benzapril it is finally good. I know you mentioned you were concerned about the effects of meds on Tipper's organs, but uncontrolled BP can be very dangerous and I am way more worried about that than medication side effects. In Flynn's case renal problems with protein in his urine and also eye problems, the vet could actually see congested veins at the back of his eyes when his BP was way up, both of these problems have settled significantly with medication.

I used to worry about how stress could alter his BP recordings and had words with the vet as I was unhappy with their suggestion of leaving him for a few hours (without me there). But apparently the vet protocols for checking BP do recommend this. My vet takes his BP at three different times over the period of a few hours and each time he does it.. he takes a set of 7 readings one after the other and then discard the highest and lowest and average the rest. Flynn has had his done today, when I picked him up the vet showed me how big the variance is between readings despite them being taken close together. The lowest was 100 and the highest up to 175, it is all to do with small changes like the dog moving etc so with his reasoning I have come to accept this is the best way to do it so we get an accurate reading. Imagine if the only one he took was the 175 one, when actually the rest of the time he is sitting at a quite satisfactory 130!! I hope your vet is doing something similar to rule out the risk of white coat syndrome to get an accurate reading. I think this is especially important in dogs with known BP problems to have reliable results.

The other thing I wanted to comment on was your renal stones, they are terribly painful as you have said. So I was glad to read you are feeling better. I work in Urology and was very surprised to read the recommendation to drink beer We would never recommend that, or have I ever read that or heard it at conference as a treatment. Sometimes we are careful about how much water to advise people to drink, if the stone is too big the extra fluid can just force it down and it will get stuck even firmer causing more pain. Of course if it is small enough to flush through then drinking may help. I read you had a scan so I would have to think they were hoping you would pass it without intervention. But I cannot let that beer advice go unchallenged, especially as you would most likely be needing strong pain killers to help deal with the discomfort. Pain killers and alcohol do not mix and should be avoided!!! If you can tolerate them non steroidal anti inflammatories work well to help with pain and also to settle the inflammation the stone is causing in the kidney/ureters. I am pleased to see you will see a urologist soon for further advice. Sorry to hear the lithotripsy was painful for you, the stones are basically broken up (not dissolved) with that that treatment and you still have to pass the "gravel" which can be very uncomfortable and irritating to the urinary tract. Hope it does not flare up again before you get seen. Also, make sure you drink enough to stop more forming, especially important in the hot weather of your summer.
    Last edited by Trish; 07-09-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!

Hi Everyone:
    I have a urinary tract infection form this stone, I am on antibiotics, and woke this morning sweating like crazy, my pillow was wet. Tipper kept hovering around me as she can sense I am not well. I can feel the stone starting up again. I had to get up and pee every 3 minutes last night. That on top of the stone is not my idea of fun. As I type this Tipper is watching over me, I did manage to walk her once and then rain started. She has to go to the Laser Therapy today at 10:30. This is not going to be fun for me, as I am in pain and needing the bathroom often. It is about 25 miles away. I will get her there if it kills me. Then I will come home and take my first pain pill if this does not let up. Trish this is only the 3rd time Tipper has had high blood pressure out of 12 months, taking her pressure every week. I am assuming that is not bad??? I usually take her, and put the window in the car down and let her sit in the car on her pillow until they are ready to take it. Then I take her in. I am praying this one is low. I keep a graph of them and they have for the most part been 120-130. Let me know what you think. I know that high blood pressure destroys the kidneys, but if it is down this time I do not want to put her on another medicine. I will see what the vet says also. Anyone else have any experience with this? Tipper had an ok nite until the thunder started. It was the loudest crack of thunder I have ever heard. She was in a panic and just trembling and running in and out of the closet. She will not let you hold her. I am signing off as I so not feel well. I will post later. Cute to see Tipper being the mother hen watching over her mommy. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Oh Patti, I do hope this stone passes quickly. Can't get rid of it soon enough and get you back on your feet.

Yes we had a doozy of storms here yesterday too. I think some of it came up from Ohio, while another part came over from Michigan area and they all met up right over the top of us and just let loose. We set records for rainfall and the thunder that accompanied it was horrendous!! The whole house would shake. Molly was terrified too.

Hope today goes okay. And take care of yourself!!

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

120-130 is absolutely fine, if they were considering starting meds I would want a longer period of monitoring like I suggested before they started them as they might just get one of the high outlier BPs if it is just a one-off. As they can fluctuate a lot.

UTI is not good combined with stones, get back to your Dr if it does not settle fast. If you are sweating with fever that is more serious and just having a UTI that makes you run back and forwards to the loo. It shows it is more systemic and is especially worrisome if you have a stone stuck anywhere. Just like our babies I hope the have cultured your urine to make sure you are on the right antibiotic, if not you need to insist on getting that done. If you are not feeling better I really would go back to get checked out. Hope you are feeling better by now.
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!

Patti,
    I hope you are feeling a better this afternoon. I hate that you are suffering so much. Please take care of yourself.
    hugs
    Amy
    Amy & my sweet boy Boriss (Cushings Diagnosed 8/30/12 & Trilo start 20mg 9/8/12 switched to Vetoryl 30mg 10/8/12)
    Grateful for every day I have with my baby Boriss. I am lucky to have so much love in my life.

Patti,

Sorry to hear you are suffering from a kidney stone - been there and they are awful. My poor daughter got them once or twice a year for a long time. Fortunately, she is not having them as frequently, but she found something that she swears helps to dissolve and pass them - Apple Cider Vinegar.

As for Tipper's blood pressure, do you know what the number was when it was high? Alivia has been on a low dose of Amlodopine for high blood pressure for years - long before Cushing's. Her BP is always elevated at the vet's but they allow for that, because she gets so nervous there, and don't get too concerned.

Hope you feel better soon! Try to relax...breathe.
    Best,

Mary Beth and Alivia

Oh Patti
    This sounds so painful! I'm glad that Tipper is watching over you. They absolutely sense everything about us and know when something isn't right whether it's physical or emotional. I treasure that connection with Daisy, Gracie, and Annabelle Lee.

Feel better soon sweetie!
    Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown

Hey Patti, sorry to hear that you are down with a kidney stone, praying you pass it soon....so glad to hear that Tipper is keeping a watchful eye over you, what a sweetie, sending hugs and prayers...
    Letti and Angel Simba, Meeko too!

also sending you some healing energy patti,those stones are the worst ever,my husband has had them a few times in the past....you know the deal drink drink drink ... sure hope today is kind to you !!! patty (milo)meka xoxox