Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First post-I do NOT like Cushings! (Update: Daisy so bravely passed)

Default First post-I do NOT like Cushings! (Update: Daisy so bravely passed)

Thank you for being here. I have been feeling like the life is just being sucked out of my chest, like free falling, out of control. My girl, my Daisy, will be tested tomorrow. Learning by reading here. Feeling your pain as well. So many strong people here. I hope you can help guide us through this experience. Daisy has had hip dysphasia since 9 months of age so bad that UC Davis even said surgery could not help. She has done great, now 11 yrs old but it's showing. And her voracious appetite, water drinking, skin problems etc...well, you know.

So how have people in the past approached treatment in a dog with arthritis. Suppress the steroid & she gets pain & increased disability. And with the panting, don't know if she IS in pain or it's Cushings. Her self supplied steroids have helped her until now. What do I do?

I'm afraid I am rambling. Just trying to get it out there so I can get some perspective. So I can do what's best for Daisy. She is my love but I'm trying to stay grounded...for her!

Default Re: First post-I do NOT like Cushings!

Hi and welcome to you and Daisy!

Sorry for the reasons that brought you here but glad you found us. If you could get copies of all test/s that were done on Daisy and post all abnormalities listed here, that would help us to provide you with better feedback.

Cushing's is one of the most difficult diseases to get a confirmed diagnosis for, as not one test is 100% accurate at diagnosing Cushing's so it usually is diagnosed via two or more tests such as the LDDS, ACTH, and/or ultrasound.

Cushing's is a very slow progressing disease so one does have the time to get a confirmed diagnosis for their pet. Do not hurry into treatment without a confirmed diagnosis that includes one's pet displaying strong symptoms.

Arthritis can be treated with supplements such as wild salmon oil, duralactin, Glucosamine and chondroitin, plus some members have used Adequan.

Please know we are here for you and Daisy and we will help in any way we can.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

I am familiar with that feeling, of life being sucked right out of you, truth be told, a lot of us are. Somehow, you will get stronger, though you may not believe that now. You may find it and then lose that strength a few times

You do the best you can with the knowledge you gain. If you are confident in Daisy's diagnosis you may say, I will treat her with Trilostane, it gives me more flexibility to start and stop the drug. You may see how it goes, how bad the arthritis gets. You may find a bit higher post cortisol works better for her.

What I am trying to point out, is that you have options, even though you may not know that now.

Once we treat Cushings, we do not know what we may uncover in our pups. You try and do the best you can.

Could we know a bit more? What tests were done? How was the diagnosis made?

As Lori already said, we are here for you. You have found a home and no longer travel this road alone.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Hugs to you and Daisy! I'm just starting out on this journey, but others with great information will be along shortly to help!

I thank you all so much. Already tried to post one reply but I guess I better be more brief.

I will get Daisy's chart and results. Your wisdom and input will not be wasted on me. I am literally hanging on every word.

I already learned the better drug to try if her arthritis gets worse on treatment. But I am putting the cart before the horse here. Once the LDDS test is done tomorrow, I'll update you on how the day went. Writing this seems to ease the fear and pain.

Thank you again. God Bless all of our brave pups & their companions!

I don't like it one bit either! You are in a really good group, the knowledge and support from the members is in a word-priceless!!

I know you are worried about Daisy's arthritis, but I also have had a dog that had severe dysplasia ,another JRT,and we treated him with Adequan injections and he also had accupuncture/chiropractic. One thing that his vet did for him as he was so happy during his accu that he wagged his tail (even holding his tail didn't help) so much his needles would come out so she did vitamin B-12 mini injections at the trigger points to give him a more lasting effect. He was also on Metacam, there are other pain relieving drugs like Tramadol(ultram) that isn't a narcotic nor is it an NSAID. I am cautious about NSAIDs for their side effects and that was what we lost Dean to.

My ortho did tell me that dogs DO NOT process in their guts 80-90% of Hyaluronic Acid so it's not as good for dogs as it is for horses that do process that much. Hylarten joint injections are an option though that can provide relief.
    I am currently trying to get my ortho vet to order a product that you can get in Canada called Cartrophen,it's a disease modifying drug used to treat arthritis in the UK,Australia and Canada, if I can get it I'll let you know how it works.

Well I was terrified and didn't like it either but its been 7 years and I now know that it was not that big of a deal and that there are way worse diagnoses out there (had one of each with my two girls)... your dog will be just fine!

The disease is very frequently misdiagnosed so don't take one test as conclusive because it is not. Question - you said your dog has arthritis - what drugs is he/she on?

Also tell us please about your dog, the symptoms, and what made your vet think it is cushings. The more you tell us the better help we can be so tell us all you can.

Welcome! And seriously - don't worry if it is cushings - your dog can lead a normal life. Kim

Wow, awesome. I hear a faint tone of hope here. Since I am so close to UC Davis, maybe they have an alternative or complementary medicine approach to arthritis.

One other request to put out there.

Has anyone had acute onset severe loss of hearing in their Cushing pup? I am familiar with blindness/cataracts but hearing loss? She IS getting older but this has happened only recently.

Thanks Gabby Sue, Chancie, addy, and Harley PoMMom. And to everyone for your support and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerpup View Post

Has anyone had acute onset severe loss of hearing in their Cushing pup? I am familiar with blindness/cataracts but hearing loss? She IS getting older but this has happened only recently.

Nope - not a cushings thing... but I know first hand that when it goes, it is often quite sudden.

I appreciate that frijole. Not really a problem. We can work with it. Although Daisy is quite vocal, we communicate better without any words at all. I'll always protect her as she has done so well for me over the years.

Thanks again frijole!