Page 52 of 380 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Molly, 13 yr, shih tzu - lhasa aspo - Molly has passed

Default Re: Molly, 10 yr, shih tzu - lhasa aspo, cushing diagnosis

I agree Trish, I am not fixated on Molly's weight, unless it goes up enough to cause her problems with mobility, etc. Then she'll be getting some longer walks! LOL

I think I take spells, where I try to do something different sometimes on the weekend, food wise. Probably because I don't do much during the week. Get up work, and then too tired to go all in the kitchen. Today is leftovers. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I had a wonderful soup at a restaurant that I want to find a recipe for. They no longer serve it so I'm going to have to be creative if I ever want it again.

Molly likes the effort though. hahahahaha Teeth, ugh! She hates to have anyone messing around in her mouth and I'm the only one that can go in there without too much risk of a nip. So I have a brush that fits over the finger. Throw some doggie toothpaste on it and go to town till she has had enough.
    Molly is No Buddy who will let you do anything grooming wise to him. (didn't Buddy sleep through his last hair cut?!) Me I have to bribe the little miss to get her in for a comb and trim and then she tries to hide her face in my stomach so I can't trim around her nose and eyes.

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hmmm I like the sound of that finger brush thingy, will have to have a look in the pet shop for one of those. They do go into cuddle mode to try and distract us don't they... bit hard to try and do the business at hand when they smooching in!! I look in his mouth and he tries to kiss me which makes it hard to see! I think the trick is to make it part of their usual routine right from when they are wee pups, if I ever get another I shall do that!
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!

Heehee...Molly, you crack me up. Love a dog with personality plus! So funny that her review on the teeth cleaning treats was a "No thanks!". Sharlene do you know what those treats were called?...we could use some more teeth cleaning options.
    Trixie is impossible as far as me trying to clean her teeth. I have the little finger brush and she's just "oh no you don't!".
    Anyway I hope Molly's numbers are good when you get the results!
    Barbara

ack, I don't remember what it was called, or if they just said it was a new tooth cleaning treat they got in.
    When I stop in to get results I'll ask them what it is called.

Hope you are having a fine day. We're getting ready to leave to see if we can go find a wine my husband wants, that supposedly they just got in. I guess it got rave reviews or something. You can always tell when it's a saturday. LOL This would never come up during the work week.

hugs,
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Have you ever tried the Greenies treats? toothbrush shaped chewables? My boys now are getting one each at night, have to say their breath is considerably better! I tried the toothbrush and paste years ago, don't know who was more traumatised by the experience, me or the boys, so it didn't last long
    Naomi, Oscar and Marcie.
    RIP my beautiful Fraser - passed October 1 2013. Original diagnosis Cushing's, but taken from us with rapidly aggressive liver cancer.

Hi:
    Just a caution with the greenies. They were on the news as the dogs were chewing pieces off and they had a blockage in the intestines, which required emergency surgery. Tipper loved them, but I quit giving them to her when I saw this. They do sell them ground up though. Just wanted to let you know so your babies aren't having any other problems- lord knows we don't need other problems since we are already dealing with Cushings! Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

yes be careful with those. Kinda like the pigs ears. Many years ago my dogs loved them, but I was told they could get lodged in the intestines, Yikes. You know how it goes anything we or they LOVE, has gotta be bad in some way. Actually they probably would be okay, but my dogs almost inhaled them, so there was the problem.

Hope Molly is doing okay and you get a good report. Happy weekend (and wine hunting)

Pat and Peety

Just some info on the teeth brushing "stuff" (with 3 pugs I know bad breath issues):

1) Greenies used to be non-digestible, which is when the blockages occurred...they changed the formula years ago and are now completely digestible so no worries like with rawhide and the like (though they are high in calories so look to Zuke's Z-bones for a healthier, similar option)

2) Ark Naturals makes healthy, yummy treats called "Brushless Toothpaste"...you can get them in little bits or bigger chew treats. Yummy outer core of cleaning/breath freshening stuff and an inner circle of actual dehydrated enzymatic toothpaste

3) There's a number of "gel" products you just put in their mouth at night and it works enzymatically to eat off the old plaque. I use the PetzLife product but there's lots of other (TropiClean, Vet's Best, other). These actually work really well (I've been using the PetzLife for about 5 years as I won't put the pugs under for a dental) and keep the mouth fresh-smelling and clear of infection (mouth most common place for infection in cats/dogs).

I was reading your posts as I was getting ready for some brushing (I use the Petrodex toothbrush gloves and the TropiClean gel as the "paste") on my old man so figured I'd share the "love"

~~Lisa and Vince

I have in the past used the greenies, but then I switch to small size dentastix. Same idea.

I like the idea of the of the gel you put it in at night. I might give that a try. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully they have it here in Canada too.

hugs all, thanks for the tips,

Our Molly really has it in her head that she rules this house. LOL When she is Not happy, she is quite vocal in letting us All know.

So last night we had some friends over, rather late, I admit and Molly is a creature of habit for sure. Anyway, we were all outside under the pavilion, talking and having fun. Molly was out with us till about 10:30, when she wanted to go inside. (not inside the downstairs door at pool level, only upstairs at the main floor level) so I let her into the house. 15 minutes later, she shows up downstairs barking at the slider door, so I open it but she wouldn't come outside. So, smart gal that I am (or think I am) I leave the door open so she can come in and out if she wants.
    No go. Fail. go back to start. She sat at the door and barked at us. Then when that didn't work, she turned her back and laid down with her butt facing us, in a huff. Then when that didn't work either, she went back up to the main level and commenced to barking for all she was worth at the upstairs slider to get us to come back up there.
    Let me tell you, that dog has some powerful lungs and is stubborn as they come. She was having none of it. We, being just as stubborn, stayed outside and finally she went to sleep. See, normally somewhere between 9:30 - 10:30, she'd get her last walk in and then go to bed. Not that she had to pee last night, she'd already done that outside when she was with us, but she is just habitual creature.
    Finally around 1:30am our guests left and I took molly for a short walk that was basically down the driveway, up the street about 2 houses, and she turned around and was ready to go home and to bed. Nothing was happening though in her world, until she had gone out, checked the trees for mail and left her signature that she had made the nightly check on you know her favorite tree in front of our house.
    She rules!

Now she is going to be unhappy again tonight, if I can convince hubby that we absolutely MUST go downtown and see the last show of a 5 day Canadian premier with John Malkovitch as Casanova. I love live theater, but not sure if I can convince hubs that this is a must do item on a Sunday night. LOL When he has been out with his buddies all morning playing racquetball and hanging at the local pub afterwards. (his sunday tradition). I'm going to try and I'll just have a ticked molly getting another late night walk if it happens.

hugs,