Thread: Shadow - newly diagnosed - 10 year Retriever - Severe vomitting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shadow - newly diagnosed - 10 year Retriever - Severe vomitting

Hi,

A few weeks ago, we took Shadow, my 10 year old Flat Coated Retriever to the vet for a checkup. On an off chance, my Dad (who Shadow lives with) had a blood test done. Liver enzyme was high. The Vet suspected Cushings and we monitored water intake, ran more tests, did an ultrasound, and got a diagnosis of Pituitary based Cushings.

We had a couple indicators that we mistook for general age. We used to joke about the bladder of steel that he had, and he's had a couple accidents. He had trouble getting in/out of my car (Toyota Rav4, high off the ground). Coat was a little lackluster but not bad. Nothing made us suspect anything serious was wrong, given the breed's general lifespan and health issues we had with his predecessor (passed from Cancer at 7) we felt we were living on borrowed time anyways.

About a week to 1.5 weeks ago we started mitotane (Lysodren). We are still locating his correct dosage, we went with 3 pills a week right now. He moped a bit the first day but generally seemed fine. Last night, at the Vet's behest, we started him on a very small dose of prednisone at 4pm. I was very worried about that drug as I've read nasty stuff, but I don't know enough to refute the vet.

At 10pm, he had diarrhea in the house. He was let out and had no desire to come back in (weird for him), even when we made a little pen with the back door open. He vomited several times last night and dry heaved as well. He's been drinking a lot of water, at least. Of course it's Sunday so we can't get ahold of his actual vet, though I called an emergency clinic and spoke with a tech who didn't seem to think it was related to the prednisone. He got into the garbage for a couple minutes on Tuesday before he was stopped. He's also very lethargic right now. I'm a wreck, especially as I don't live with him (going to drive there shortly) and I'm getting all this information secondhand. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance.

MODERATOR NOTE: Your post has been manually approved so members can start responding to you asap. Please check your email, including spam/junk, for a message from k9cushings. You will need to reply to this email so that your posts go directly to the board. Thanks and welcome!
    Last edited by Squirt's Mom; 06-24-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Default Re: Shadow - newly diagnosed - 10 year Retriever - Severe vomitting

Hi,

Shadow needs to get to the ER vet asap and have the electrolytes and cortisol levels checked. This is not a wait-and-see situation. If Shadow is more lethargic or unresponsive when you get there do your utmost to get some prednisone down him immediately then get him to the ER. Shadow may be in crisis but with proper care, he will rally so be calm, but move...

Please let us hear from you. Our thoughts and prayers go with you all.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

I agree with Leslie - he should be at the ER vet.

We can talk about diagnostic, dosage etc when he is home, but I would not give anymore Lysodren.

Please keep us posted
    Terry

Right after I posted this, I got a call from my Dad. Shadow pooped blood and basically crawled into a space to die. Really scary shit, I haven't cried like this since Kaos died 10 years ago (to the month). I wish I had been there last night (I had been telling my friend how Shadow was still going strong as he was suffering horribly, didn't even know) because when I saw him this morning I was terrified. He was so weak and I've never seen him not explode in happiness upon seeing me. He could barely make it to the car... We rushed him to an emergency care facility.

We suspected Addison's disease but the Vet just called me to say that the blood test came back with solid electrolyte and potassium levels. I was a lot happier thinking it was Addison's because (despite a 1,700 bill, there goes that trip to Thailand) we at least knew what it was. Now we're not sure, maybe a gastro-intestinal problem or something. That pit in my stomach is back.

(Also, Mod, sorry but I can't find that e-mail. Looked in my junk folder and stuff. I even did it before posting because I saw that comment on another post. Can it be re-sent? Thanks)

Hi there,
    I am so sorry to hear about Shadow. I hope you saw the posts and were able to get him to the vet. Please let us know how he is doing.

Julie & Hannah

Got another call from the vet. Shadow is deteriorating. Had another bloody diarrhea episode. Can't imagine him getting worse than he was when we brought him in, honestly. His blood pressure is very low and he has a bit of a fever (temp was fine when we brought him in) so they are treating that. Vet says he is still optimistic and that most dogs with these symptoms pull through, but I am preparing for the worst.

Just kills me that he is going through this alone and without his people.

I am so sorry to hear Shadow is not doing well, and that you aren't there with him. Will they let you visit when you want to? I hope he is getting the care he needs and that he is able to pull through whatever it is that is causing a problem. I'm glad you got him to the vet.

Julie & Hannah