Page 1 of 152 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Corkster - adrenal tumor/3x daily trilostane (Corky has been released)

Smile Corkster - adrenal tumor/3x daily trilostane (Corky has been released)

Hi everyone. I just wanted to give you an update on Corky. His Cushings symptoms are still in remission. He had his US, and the masses on his right kidney and liver are still about the same size. They don't seem to be giving him any problems, and the IMS isn't going to do anything at the present time. He was in the hospital 2 weeks ago, as he was having respiratory distress. They had to keep him in, as he was on oxygen for several hours. With all of the tests they performed, they didn't really know what caused it, but thought it might have been heat related because of the high temperatures that we had. Since he's been home, he's been doing very well. He is now back to walking over an hour every morning.

I want to thank everyone for all of the support and links you gave me. There is still the possibility that his Cushings symptoms might return.

I wish all of you the best with your babies. I will keep in touch.

Terri and Corky

Default Re: Update on Corky

Hi Terry,

How long has Corky been in remission and do you still have regular ACTH tests?

Spicey has been off Trilostane for 7 months now with no return to any Cushings symptoms. I am reluctant to start testing again as I think it will start it all off again! Also her first ever ACTH test was negative so do we go by what is a normal result for a Cushings dog, ie 5 or under, or a non cushings dog? It was the ldds test that diagnosed her as well as all of the typical symptoms which have now gone.

Glad Corky has recovered from his recent ordeal and is now well again.

Linda and Spicey

Hi Linda,

Corky has been in remission for about 2 1/2 months. They didn't do another ACTH Stim. test, but they did check his blood creatinine and BUN levels, and his urine creatinine and cortisol levels. They were all in the normal range in the beginning of March. Corky never did begin his treatment with Lysodren, as he had 2 UTIs when he was suppose to start his treatment. Nobody seems to know why the symptoms went away and his levels are now in the normal range. His first ACTH was above the normal range. I'm not going to do another test as long as there are none of the clinical signs.

I'm glad that Spicey has been in remission for 7 months. That's really great. I hope she can stay that way.

Terri and Corky

Question Re: Update on Corky

Corky was diagnosed with Cushings today. His clinical signs were in remission for 7 months. About 3 weeks ago he started exhibiting the signs again. He had an ultrasound and biopsy done then, and his right adrenal gland was enlarged. They did the tests yesterday, and confirmed that he definitely has Cushings. Because of his age and all of his other medical problems they chose not to remove the right adrenal gland. Originally, he was being put on Lysodren, but because of all of the other issues he has, his IMS is going to be treating him with Trilostane.

For those of you that were on the Cushings network, I was the one that submitted that my vet recommended not treating this disease, and I got a second opinion. Even though I had the Lysodren and Prednisone, we couldn't start treating Corky as he had 2 UTIs. Before I was going to start his medication, his clinical signs started disappearing. He was then not given the medication.

I would appreciate any input that you might have regarding the use of Trilostane.

Thank you.
    Terri and Corky

Hi Terri,

I am going to stay away from the Trilostane question as we have plenty of folks here with both a better understanding as well has first hand experience.

It would be useful for you and everyone here if you would post the names of the tests and the results. It would also be good to know about Corky's wt. the dose of Trilo being prescribed and any other meds he is taking.

Check back frequently, I am sure we will hear from some of the Trilo people soon.

Best to you and Corky. Scott

Hi Terri,

Because of his age and all of his other medical problems they chose not to remove the right adrenal gland. Originally, he was being put on Lysodren, but because of all of the other issues he has, his IMS is going to be treating him with Trilostane.
    What are all of Corky's medical problems? And what other issue does Corky have?

The more information you can provide the better we all can answer your questions, ok.

Love and hugs.
    Lori

Hi Terri,

Good to hear from you and Corky again but am sorry to hear he has been confirmed as cushinoid.

I have a few questions...of course! Like the others, it would really help to see the results from the tests he has had recently that led to this diagnosis. The U/S showed only one adrenal enlarged? Did they tell you whether he has ADH or PDH (adrenal or pituitary based)? Did the IMS tell you anything along the lines that Trilo was "safer" than Lyso? If so, please don't be lulled into thinking Trilo cannot harm Corky - it is just a powerful a drug as Lyso but works in a different way. It has the ability to necrose the adrenals just as Lyso does and Addisonian crisis are possible with Trilo just as with Lyso. Some dogs do really well on Trilo while others do better on Lyso. Also, what other meds is he on at the moment? Some meds are not recommended to be mixed with Trilo.

Hang in there!
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the girls
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Scott, Lori, and Leslie,

Thank you for your responses. Corky does have a tumor on his right adrenal gland. The last biopsy report is now showing the mass as a tumor. Based on this he was given the LDDS test yesterday. The results of this test along with his clinical signs confirmed Cushings. I will be getting a copy of the results tomorrrow, and I will post them.

At the present time Corky is only taking Soloxine for his hypothyroidism. He was taking allergy medicine for his breathing, but he started having very loose stools, and I stopped giving it to him. I also have Torbutrol which is to be given to him only as needed for his respiratory problems, and Acepromazine, which is only given to him when we have storms, if needed. He is terrified of them, and really pants heavily, and shakes very badly.

Along with the hypothyroidism, Corky has renal stones, has had several UTIs, allergies, collapsing trachea, enlarged right side of the heart, arthritis, occasional seizures, and a mass on his liver. He was in the emergency hospital in April and May for respiratory problems. He had to be put in an oxygen cage over night on both occasions. He was also taking Metronidazole towards the end of September. In the past he has had several ear infections and masticatory muscle myositis. He also has pins in both of his hind legs. He had several growths removed last December. The poor little guy has been through an awful lot.

Corky's IMS did explain to me that there could be problems with the Trilostane. He will be starting on 20mg a day for one-two weeks. Then he will go back for an ACTH Stim test to determine if this is the proper dosage. At the present time, Corky weighs 20.6 lbs.

He is now on a bland diet of boiled chicken or boiled hamburg, rice, pumpkin, and fat free cottage cheese.

I'm sorry for being so long winded. Thank you again. You were all so very supportive back in Jan. and Feb.

Terri and Corky
    Last edited by littleone1; 10-13-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Hi Terri,

I never used Trilostane either...heck I haven't used Lysodern. So the information/advice I'm giving you is just things I've been reading or my opinion, ok?

Now on the Dechra's U.S. Product Insert it says "Do not use VETORYL Capsules in animals with primary hepatic disease or renal insufficiency."

So why exactly does your IMS not want to use Lysodren? Now I'm not saying she is wrong, I would just want to know why.

Now as far as you being long-winded...no way ...the more information the better.

Love and hugs.
    Lori

Hi Lori,

Corky's IMS wants to use the Trilo because she believes it will be easier on Corky because of all of the issues he has.The liver was enlarged when he had x-rays taken last Dec. At that time his vet stated that this was consistent with Cushings. I spoke with his IMS and she doesn't think there is anything to be concerned about with Corky being on Trilo. I appreciate the information.

Terri and Corky