Thread: iatrogenic Calcinosis Cutis - Severe Condition (Andy crossed The Bridge 6/08)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default iatrogenic Calcinosis Cutis - Severe Condition (Andy crossed The Bridge 6/08)

I just joined this forum last week. Andy has Calcinosis Cutis (CC) d/t Dexamethasone use. He also has Degenerative Myelopathy (DM). He was put on the low dose dexa. last year as a last resort to helping with his severe inflammatory condition when nothing else worked and even Cephalexin no longer worked. The results were far better than expected. The Dexa. cleared up the inflammatory process and also helped him regain some disability he had from the DM. We enjoyed a full and fun summer.

Sept. 2010
    , Andy had surgery on his R. Rear Paw. It took a while for that to heal, longer than normal. But before and after surgery, he was removed from the Dexa. Also the doc wanted to see him fully off of it to reevaluate his inflammatory problem. Much to our disappointment Andy's allergies were so bad again that we put him back on the low dose Dexa.

Oct 2010, Degenerative Myelopathy (DM) Forum, posted the question: "Quality of Life Question: Should I give Andy the steroid Dexamethasone knowing it could shorten his life but provide him with a good Quality of Life that he doesn't have now?" The answers were an overwhelming response to choose steroid treatment to provide a Quality of Life. Feeling reassured we put Andy back on the steroid and everything got better again.

Mid Mar 2011, Andy just didn't seem right to me. Nothing I could say but by end of Mar he started a wound on his nose that was a problem.

End of March 2011, Vet gave Cipro for nose.

Mid April 2011, back for a recheck. The Vet refers me to another because of the seriousness of it.

Late April 2011, referral Vet throws his hands up and says it's out of his expertise. Now we need to see the Dermatologist. Andy had saw this Dermatologist when he was having Allergy testing and treatment. Great Doc.

Dermatologist Appt May 5th 2011. Seeing Dermatologist. By then I was really concerned because in addition to his nose, a tiny bump broke open on his back. I figured Andy might need antifungals or something like that. The Dermatologist said Andy has CC d/t steroid use. Ok, so we have to take him slowly off the steroids. That didn't seem too bad. Then he precedes to explain the severity of his condition. So we went home with antibiotics, antifungals, pain medication, shampoo, and treatment instr. I still didn't have a real clue what all this meant.

1st week after appt., with the Dermatologist, Andy developed these huge growths on top of his neck which were weeping copious amounts of fluid. That's when the Dermatologist explained everything.

2nd week after appt., now over his shoulders and hard skin areas begin. I'm told there's no treatment. We have to get him off the steroids, which we were doing.

3rd week after appt., Andy began losing hair down his back along with these same mounds. I saw Andys skin getting real lumpy from the calcium deposits. Seemed everything on him was inflamed. He lost his energy, alertness, and interest in almost everything. He acts odd. We had a recheck with the Dermatologist who shaved the remaining hair off his back and other areas that had were weeping really bad. Nothing seems to be slowing down this process.

4th week after appt.., June 2, Recheck with Dermatologist. Andy was involved all the way to his anus and tail. His head is now nearly all involved. He doesn't look like my dog. The calcium deposits have closed over his right eye, so he can't see out of it. His right ear is so swollen shut he can't hear out of it. Sides of his face are hard. Of course there's a lot of infected areas that aren't healing. I'm doing all I can do to help Andy but it just doesn't seem enough.

June 5th 2011, he is eating, drinking, pee, potty, but is having a lot of muscle wasting despite 6 lb weight gain. On special high protein cooked diet. The prognosis is POOR. His condition is serious but stable. Even if we get him off the steroids in time, we may face the fact that the Adrenals don't start functioning, that's Addison's Crisis then. And, we'll again face the severe inflammatory problem and Degenerative Myelopathy. I find my self saying it's not right to have him continue. My other side argues that he is still Andy and has life in him.

Today I realized the life I refer to is his abilities to eat, poop, drink, walk a very small amount. He is not happy anymore. I know no one can make a decision for me, but I'd love to hear others comments, suggestions, encouragement if appropriate, on the situation. No dog should have to go through this. Pics will only be posted if requested.

With lots of love for my boy Andy, 10yro Choco. Labrador Retriever

Thank you for providing a forum where we can get our story down on paper, have support, etc. Andysmom
    Last edited by andysmom; 06-07-2011 at 08:34 AM.