Thread: Chewing and Licking

Default Chewing and Licking

Does anyone else have a dog that always has to either be chewing on something like a Kong or chew toy or licking a human? I have read it can be upset tummy, boredom, obessive/complusive behavior, etc.

Sas- I thought I remember reading on a thread that Yunah likes to chew. How do you know when it has crossed the line and not normal?

Just wondering because Zoe is a chew and lickaholic. When she gets tired of chewing her toy or hubby won't let her lick, she'll chew her front paw pads or dew claw nail.

Hugs,
    Addy

Default Re: Chewing and Licking

Hi Addy-
    Palmer used to chew on the bottom of her feet. It was an allergy type thing. The vet gave us something and once the irritation stopped, he stopped chewing.
    -Susan

Hi Addy,

Yes, I think it's true that obsessive licking can be a symptom of allergies. I believe that food allergies can be culprits, and my Peg (who suffers from seasonal allergy) also does a tremendous amount of self-licking when her allergy is flaring.

Also, for what it's worth, my Cushpup obsessively licked his front paws for years prior to diagnosis. After we lowered his cortisol, he suddenly stopped the licking. I have absolutely no explanation for this, but it did happen.

Marianne

Thanks Susan and Marianne,

I have asked The IMS a zillion times if it is her Cushings and she keeps saying no

She does it year round. She eats turkey protein. I took her off her probiotic and it did not mean anything. I read they could be allergic to that. She chews and chews and chews. She is laying next to me chewing away on her Kong. She took a break for an hour, we went outside for a walkie and came back in and she is again chewing away on her toys. I gave her an antihistimine for a few days last summer and it did nothing to change the behavior.

Oh, her melatonin kicked in just now and she stopped. She chewed like this even on Shen Calmer.

At least it she isn't chewing the furniture or my leg

Hugs,
    Addy