Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's a boy!!!!!! - Brick has crossed The Bridge

Unhappy It's a boy!!!!!! - Brick has crossed The Bridge

Hi ya'll,

Got to share some good news with everyone! I am going to be a new mom again! This time it's a little blind boy who the shelter has named "Brick". A rather solid name for a 4 pounder, huh? LOL That may change but we will have to see if he likes his name now or if he responds better to different sounds. Having a name he is comfortable with is important!

He is a Chihuahua, about 7-10 yrs old, and probably lost his sight due to an attack as his head has some scarring. This is what the vet that checked him out thinks is probable anyway. All reports are that he is the sweetest thing ever! However, he is not adjusting well to being blind. Whether that is because it recently happened or he just isn't handling it well isn't known yet. But I think he will in time with a little help. I have looked into some things that might help him get around safely and found the Angelvest which looks promising. You can see it here:

http://angelvest.homestead.com/

Doggles or a mesh eye wear will also be needed to protect his eyes outside. I have joined a couple of blind dog forums so I can learn more about how to help him adjust so he will have a life he enjoys in spite of his lack of vision. I have learned here the value of connecting with experts.

I have posted his shelter pic in my albums so you can see his precious little face. (That chain is unreal, huh!? ) If things go according to the current plans, we will go pick him up in St. Louis next week and bring him home. Then I will post some more pics of him.

Once again, I am so honored that we were chosen to take this little guy. I am very excited and really looking forward to life with "Brick"! I hope before long, he is just as excited to be here with us!

Hugs,
    Leslie and growing gang!

PS. I am taking a much needed break from the forum to sort out some things (everyone is doing just great!) and will be back soon but I just HAD to share this with my family!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: It's a boy!!!!!!

Oh Leslie, my heart is bursting for you all!!!! Next week cannot come soon enough! I will keep your baby boy in my prayers in hopes that he'll soon be safely tucked in your arms (I just looked at his picture and he's already wormed his way into my heart ).

In the meantime, many hugs to you and the girls!
    Marianne

WOW, WOW, and YAAAYY!!!
    OMG, Leslie, that is the most adorable little face. You two are so blessed to have found each other. All our love and best wishes to your little family. Please keep us updated. He will fit right in with your other beauties!!!
    Love and hugs,
    Carrol

To make it easier to see Brick's picture without going to Leslie's Profile, I've attached it.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to let you all know that I am very grateful to Leslie for wanting to adopt this adorable baby. She saw him on facebook and told me that she knew an old lady in Arkansas who would be a great mom. I asked who that would be and the rest is history. Normally, I wouldn't think of sending a blind dog out of state but we're not talking about just anybody in another state and we're not talking about sending Leslie's little boy with just any Tom, Dick or Harry. He is being flown by a wonderful flight attendant based out of Arizona, who wants to remain anonymous. She's flown a lot of tiny and special needs Chi's to new parents so I feel comfortable that Brick will be in great hands and when she hands him over to Leslie, he will be in even greater hands. Brick is going to be a jet setter for a few days. He leaves California on Monday and will be meeting his new mom in St Louis on Tuesday. Hey isn't there a musical called Meet in St Louis?

Brick appears to have Horner's Syndrome caused by head trauma. We think he was mauled by a bigger dog as his head has what appears to be a lot of recent scarring. Not all the scabs were totally healed so just to make sure, we had a skin scrape done to rule out mites. It was negative. He has a luxated patella which the vet popped back in and couldn't pop back out. He's probably had it all of his life and the vet didn't recommend surgery to correct it. His heart sounds great and x-rays show it as being great as well as everything else. The vet said his bones look younger than 10 as there is absolutely no sign of arthritis anywhere. The eye you can see in his picture is sunken in and the pupil of his right eye is totally constricted. Both are common with Horner's. I think this was a recent occurrence and his owner simply didn't want to deal with him or help him deal with his blindness. He is not adept like Trinket and does not yet sense things that he is going to bump into but he's already learned to navigate a lot better in our kitchen and family room. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to reverse the damage but it is also not a death sentence. Brick can live out a nice long life with his new mom and sisters. When they say dogs live in the day, I think they were talking about Brick. His tail never stops wagging and he is bound and determined to find his way in life and in whatever room he happens to be in. He'll stop at nothing to get to you and the closer he gets, the faster the tail wags and the more excited he becomes. He is an awesome little guy.

I pulled Brick with two other little ones. One of the other's is Marvin, also an adorable tiny Chi. Apparently his owner didn't want to deal with the huge mass on his abdomen and he ended up in a vet kennel next to Brick at the shelter. I wasn't planning on bailing him out but he was so darn cute, I couldn't leave him behind knowing that his odds of being euthanized were huge and neither could my friend who was campaigning hard to get Brick out of the shelter. We had the mass removed yesterday and we could really use some prayers. I am hoping and praying that it is benign so he can go to his new family in San Diego. If it's malignant, Gil said we can keep him and let him live out whatever time he has left with us. We'll have the results in 5 to 7 days.

brick 1122535.jpg

Huge hugs to you, Leslie!!!! And Brick!! He is ADORABLE!!!!

Tons of prayers being said and sent for sweet Marvin.

Both Glynda and Leslie, you are the best!!!...love you both very much!!!!Lori

Hi Leslie,

I am constantly in awe of your kindness (and Glynda and the other rescuers). I see the pics of these pups in need and feel sad for just a moment and then it sinks in that they are the lucky ones who have been saved by angels.

Brick is a cutie and he will thrive in your care. I am just so proud to "know" you. And yes that chain should stop hm from getting away.

Jenny

How special little Brick is and even more special Leslie and Glynda.

Saying prayers all goes well.

Hugs,
    Addy

The "Awesome Twosome" does it again! You two are amazing and I love you both!

Brick is so very very precious and I know he will have the best forever home in the world. I can just visualize Trink flirting with him.
    Congratulations Leslie on the new arrival. So happy for you. Can't wait for more pictures with his new sisters.

Little Marvin will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery and benign test results. God bless you Glynda, my inspiration!

((((BIG HUGS TO ALL))))

Shelba and Suni~~

Oh Leslie, what can i say ...you and Glynda deserve nothing but praise , for the never ending work you do ..love this little boy ''brick''.. but i think he looks more like a ''Rico'' ...and i am sure Trinket and Squirt will welcome another member to their home....I can see one big happy dance and a few
    cha cha cha s ... ..coming your way ...( hugs ) Catherine & Natcho .

Here's another pic of Brick taking it easy on the couch, listening to American Idol. As you can see, Brick has the same problem Otis had. His sheath seems not to cover his penis at times so I already told Leslie that she needs to keep it lubed up. You can see the scarring on the top of his head in this picture and his other eye that is not shrunken.

Brick on Sofa.jpg