Page 2 of 199 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Apollo fought with grace and dignity to the end, My little angel warrior

Default Re: Apollo, 11 yo Dachshund - treatment options? just diagnosed with cushing

I'm the lab tech that Kim mentioned. There are a couple of things that pop out on Apollo's lab results. The BUN/Creatinine, I assume is the BUN/Creatinine ratio, could you please confirm that? I also need to know the individual values for BUN & creatinine. All of these tests including the phosphorous are used to evaluate kidney function. The ratio is extremely high, but I can tell more if you will post the individual values.

I agree with Lori that in light of these serious elevation of lipase & amylase a cPL/cPLI test is very much in order to see if Apollo is dealing with pancreatitis. Acute pancreatitis can be life threatening, if severe enough, so you don't want to mess around. An elevated neutrophil count is a sign of possible bacterial infection. Pancreatitis might be one explanation for it, or even something as simple as a UTI. The urine specific gravity of 1.017 is at the low end of normal (1.015-1.045). This is kind of unusual in a Cushpup as they can't concentrate their urine & a specific gravity is usually pretty low, <1.010, as their urine is more like water. ( Water has a specific gravity of 1.000). Apollo does have elevated liver enzymes which is common with Cushing's, but in light of the possibility of pancreatitis, kidney disease, or some type of bacterial infection, Cushing's may not be the only explanation for the elevated liver function tests.

Hope this helps.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Default Re: Apollo, 11 yo Dachshund - treatment options?

thanks will ask.

Default Re: Apollo, 11 yo Dachshund - treatment options? just diagnosed with cushing

Yes it is the Bun/creatinine. He doesn't throw up, but he seems more tired, gurgling going on. Still waiting for urine Culture Mic,
    Bun:31,Creatinine:.5, the Phosphorus 6.3, Glucose 109, Calcium 9.9, Magnesium 1.9, Sodium 151, Potassium 5.4, Na/K Ratio 28 , Chloride 104, Cholesterol 278, Triglyceride 75, Amylase 1611( was 6675 in September 2009)
    Lipase 2776( was 5969 in September)
    Neutrophilis is 6468(Was 14168 in September 2009) hope this helps, thank you so much
    Sonja

Default Re: 11 yo Dachshund - treatment options?

thank you will read your posts.

thank you for the input

My Apollo is having the weakness in the hind legs. It kills me to see him go through this. On lighter side, I was born in Toronto, ONtario.
    Thank you for your input. Will pray for your angel.

Thank you for taking the time for the post, will read. helpful to know I am not alone in this.

Are you in Canada? If so the reporting units on Apollo's labs may be different than what we are used to seeing in the US. Could you post the reporting units for the BUN, creatinine, phosphorous, & all other chemistry tests that you have posted. These will be something like mg/dl, nmol/L, etc., normal ranges for tests are also for helpful. I really can't offer valid input on labwork without these items.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Hi Sonja,

Hope this helps:

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    I thought I would "bump up" this thread since there are so many active discussions going on right now re: trilostane/Atypical Cushing's/the UTK adrenal panel.

For anyone who is considering requesting the UTK panel for their dog at any point in their treatment, I strongly encourage you or your vet to first correspond with Dr. Oliver at UTK in advance. Thus far, Dr. Oliver has always been very willing to talk directly to pet owners in addition to vets. There can be so many variables involved in each dog's situation. Dr. Oliver can best tell you whether the UTK panel might be helpful to you, and if so, what the best timing would be (e.g., must the trilostane treatment be suspended, and if so, for how long a time).

Here's a link providing general contact information for Dr. Oliver:

http://www.vet.utk.edu/faculty/oliver.php

Dr. Oliver's email address is: joliver@utk.edu.

Marianne
    Love and hugs,
    Lori

Default apollo6- san diego,ca

Please help, I am so overwhelmed got back urinalysis cult no infections. He is panting now is that a sign? the thirst, the hair loss is somewhat stable, the pot belly is there, the skin infections are more like ingrown hair with pus, the hind legs are weak. I have been told to get information from University of Tn, Dr. Oliver. Medications, Lysodern, new one Vetoryl, Trilosine, etc. will see one vet on June 17th, feel like I should go sooner. I am crying all the time now. think I should get Dex test in addition to Ach test, blood panel and ultrasound had. Told should let Veterinarian endocrinologist.