Page 8 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebel, 8 year old mix with Cushings - Rebel has been released

Default Re: Rebel, 7 1/2 year old mix with Cushings (treatment with Vetoryl)

Dropped off Rebel's urine this morning to the vet. Boy did he think I was crazy chasing him around the yard with a cup!! He ended up picking the only tree in the backyard to go on. Of course it had weeds growing all around it, so I had to push through those to get the cup under him.. Needless to say he made it so I had to work for it and get it everywhere! Such a smart dog.

Should have the results back tomorrow. On a positive note it was yellow and not completely clear like it has been.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,
    Isn't it crazy the things we do to get our babies better! Good thing Rebel at least finally let you, the times I've tried chasing Princess with a cup in my hand, she'd run to the end of the yard so I wouldn't catch her. It's like she knew I had something foreign in my hand and knew it wasn't kosher. lol. They are just too smart alright. Good luck with the test. Let us know the results. Take care. xo Jeanette

You should have seen the look on his face when I was chasing him around the yard. He actually looked at me like I was losing my mind. Then I think he figured out what the cup was for and decided to get me!!

Got Rebels urine tests back. Nothing wrong there. He goes in Wednesday for another u/s so she can check his liver again and make sure nothing has changed. He will also have some blood work done. Wish is luck in figuring this out.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,
    Yes, we are most definitely sending you and your precious Rebel our best wishes so he can start feeling better soon. Keeping the faith all will be well. Warmest regars and tight hugs too. xo Jeanette and Princess

Melissa,

You've certainly got my best wishes for Rebel. I had to laugh when I read about how you chased him around with the cup for the sample. I remember those urine catching days with my Munchie. They do tend to give you "that look" don't they. Glad his sample came back A-ok. Hope all will be fine with the u/s too and that Rebel's doc will be able to determine what's going on.

Louise

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSchnauzerMom View Post
    Melissa,

You've certainly got my best wishes for Rebel. I had to laugh when I read about how you chased him around with the cup for the sample. I remember those urine catching days with my Munchie. They do tend to give you "that look" don't they. Glad his sample came back A-ok. Hope all will be fine with the u/s too and that Rebel's doc will be able to determine what's going on.

Louise
    I was actually secretly hoping for a UTI. I just wanted something to be an easy fix for once. I'm nervous about the u/s, she had originally found a small white spot on his liver. At the time she said she wasn't concerned about it. She wants to look at them now that we have the cortisol under control and see if anything has changed.

On another note my young pup Sadie is having some issues now. I noticed her walking around funny with her tail tucked and would not wag her tail at all. So doctor Mom rolled her over and found a tick right at the base of her tail and one on her back leg. NASTY bugs!! So I grabbed the tweezers and pulled them out. She is still not her normal self, but was a little better this morning. There are lumps where I pulled them out, but it's not red or inflamed. She still acts like it hurts, so I'm not sure if it was just the location and it's sore or if there might be an infection.

Man I just need a break!! Can't my babies just have a normal month, week, day even! lol

Sorry to vent, just needed to let it out.

Melissa

Hi
    I found with my Westie that he was very disorientated and doing lots of strange things before the tablets kicked in. Since he's been on Vetoryl I've not had that behaviour so hang in there and you should see a change. Vetoryl kicked in on about day 10 behaviour-wise for Hamish but all dogs re-act differently. Just keep being there for Rebel and comfort him.
    It's a scary time when they go on the drug isn't it. I was very emotional for the 1st week.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwalker View Post
    Hi
    I found with my Westie that he was very disorientated and doing lots of strange things before the tablets kicked in. Since he's been on Vetoryl I've not had that behaviour so hang in there and you should see a change. Vetoryl kicked in on about day 10 behaviour-wise for Hamish but all dogs re-act differently. Just keep being there for Rebel and comfort him.
    It's a scary time when they go on the drug isn't it. I was very emotional for the 1st week.
    x
    He has actually been on the veteroyl for almost 2 months now. I did notice a big change after about 2 weeks. Now his symptoms seem to be gradually returning. I was and I still am very emotional about the whole situation. It just seemed like things were getting better and now a set back. We will keep pushing though.

Melissa & Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelsmom View Post
    I was actually secretly hoping for a UTI. I just wanted something to be an easy fix for once. I'm nervous about the u/s, she had originally found a small white spot on his liver. At the time she said she wasn't concerned about it. She wants to look at them now that we have the cortisol under control and see if anything has changed.
    Hi Melissa,

I went back through your thread and I din't see where you posted a recent acth stim test result that shows that Rebel's cortisol is udner control. Rebel's last post stim was a bit over 8 and this cannot be be interpreted as having the cortisol under control, especially if all symptoms have not resolved. If symptoms have totally resolved, which Rebel's have not, a post stim of 7 to 9 is acceptable. Some dogs do fine with cortisol running a bit higher but in my experience, the majority of dogs will need to have a post stimulated cortisol number of 1.5 ug/dl to 5.5 ug/dl before symptoms go away.

If Rebel's only symptoms is excessive drinking and peeing, my bet is that the cortisol is not being adequately controlled throughout the day. Having had the UTI ruled out, I personally would not be spending extra money to find out why the PU/PD is not resolved without addressing the obvious culprit, high cortisol.

As I recall, Rebel had an acth stim test done two weeks after starting treatment but your vet was not following protocol and wanted to wait six months before doing another acth stim test. Do you know if your vet has much experience with cushing's and did s/he tell you that a post stimulation test of 8+ ug/dl is acceptable for Rebel, despite his being symptomatic?

Glynda