Thread: Supplements for Cushings- What's Working/ What's Not?

Question Supplements for Cushings- What's Working/ What's Not?

Hello to everyone out there!

My dog was (finally) diagnosed with Cushing's a few months back. He just turned 13 and is still a spirited guy all things considered. One thing I have noticed a dramatic difference in is his muscle mass and overall weight. Before he was diagnosed multiple vets said they thought he had kidney issues and wanted me to put him on a no protein- good thing I decided against it and got a third opinion. Anyways, when I thought he may have kidney issues I took him off all supplements. He used to be on Dasuquin to support his overall joint health etc. and now I wondering if I should get him back on it. The only thing I give him now besides his food is fish oil, a probiotic, and CBD oil for the pain. He is still very mobile and loves to go on walks but I can tell after a short walk he is fighting through the pain.

What supplements do you have your dogs on?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Supplements for Cushings- What's Working/ What's Not?

So glad to see you made it here! Welcome to both you and your sweet boy. I am not a vet, but I don’t think there should be any problem with resuming the Dasuquin once again, alongside the other supplements that you’re currently giving. When you speak about his pain, though, does he have known arthritic/orthopedic issues, or are you just assuming it’s pain that’s slowing him down? Also, are you actively treating the Cushing’s with prescription medicine at this point?

The reason why I ask is that dogs suffering from Cushing’s frequently exhibit exercise intolerance due to issues other than frank pain. If you know there’s evidence of arthritic changes, though, you may want to consider an actual prescription painkiller. I know you have to be careful about choosing painkillers, especially in Cushpups, due to higher risks of liver or kidney damage. But there are some newer choices that might be suitable, especially if your dog’s cortisol level is under control through treatment.

I have a 12 y/o non-Cushing’s Lab who is suffering from a lot of mobility issues due to arthritis, and we currently have her on a combo of CBD oil and a prescription NSAID. I’ve been told that the combination of the two treatments together may actually lead to a more powerful effect (“synergistic”) for them both. I do think they both help her, but it’s obvious that her age is taking its toll, regardless :-(.

Anyway, back to your boy — it’ll help us to find out a bit more about his overall health history, including the symptoms and testing that resulted in the Cushing’s diagnosis. Also, is he a breed for which 13 is an old age? And again, have you chosen to start treating the Cushing’s? Sorry for so many questions, but your answers will help guide our feedback and suggestions. Looking forward to learning more about your boy!

Marianne

Default Re: Supplements for Cushings- What's Working/ What's Not?

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    So glad to see you made it here! Welcome to both you and your sweet boy. I am not a vet, but I don’t think there should be any problem with resuming the Dasuquin once again, alongside the other supplements that you’re currently giving. When you speak about his pain, though, does he have known arthritic/orthopedic issues, or are you just assuming it’s pain that’s slowing him down? Also, are you actively treating the Cushing’s with prescription medicine at this point?

The reason why I ask is that dogs suffering from Cushing’s frequently exhibit exercise intolerance due to issues other than frank pain. If you know there’s evidence of arthritic changes, though, you may want to consider an actual prescription painkiller. I know you have to be careful about choosing painkillers, especially in Cushpups, due to higher risks of liver or kidney damage. But there are some newer choices that might be suitable, especially if your dog’s cortisol level is under control through treatment.

I have a 12 y/o non-Cushing’s Lab who is suffering from a lot of mobility issues due to arthritis, and we currently have her on a combo of CBD oil and a prescription NSAID. I’ve been told that the combination of the two treatments together may actually lead to a more powerful effect (“synergistic”) for them both. I do think they both help her, but it’s obvious that her age is taking its toll, regardless :-(.

Anyway, back to your boy — it’ll help us to find out a bit more about his overall health history, including the symptoms and testing that resulted in the Cushing’s diagnosis. Also, is he a breed for which 13 is an old age? And again, have you chosen to start treating the Cushing’s? Sorry for so many questions, but your answers will help guide our feedback and suggestions. Looking forward to learning more about your boy!

Marianne
    All very valid questions Marianne!
    He is a mutt, pretty much hound and herding dog so he's about 45 lbs, 50lbs pre Cushing's. Honestly he looks great for just turning 13 and for being a medium/large dog.

Arthritis hasn't been diagnosed per se, but it is evident that his joint issues aren't just from Cushing's. I think it is likely a mix of age, arthritis, and Cushing's that is working against him. He has been on trilostan since he got diagnosed and that has helped with his incontinence and food cravings.

Prescription pain killers is something that has been on my mind... I would like to help him be comfortable and pain free but am unsure that's a path I want to go down just yet... at least in the meantime I can get him back on the joint supplements. Thank you for all your feedback Marianne I really appreciate it!