Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about trilostane side effects

Default Re: Question about trilostane side effects

That's good news! I pray she continues to do well on the reduced dose!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Vitamins for dogs?

Hi,
    In an earlier post I explained my pitbull was just diagnosed with Cushing’s and stopped eating her dog food about three days after I started treatment with trilostane 60mg. I lowered her dose by half to 30mg and her appetite has improved somewhat. She’s still not particularly enthusiastic about her dog food (she will pick at it) but will beg for any and all other food or treats that’s on the go so I’m not particularly worried at this point. Her energy is better than it’s been in months and excessive drinking has seemed to subside for the most part. She has lost some weight but that’s a good thing, she was a little too chunky before and I’m sure it’s good for her hips being a large dog, to be a bit slimmer. My question is, I’m wondering whether I should get a dog vitamin for her, especially if she’s not eating a lot of her dog food. I would give it to my other two also. She is on glucosamine as an arthritis preventative, but that gets sprinkled over her dog food which she’s not eating much of now. Other than that she’s not on any other supplements. And her coat is dry and falling out from the Cushing’s so maybe a vitamin would help that recover faster. I know that there can be huge differences in quality even with human vitamins, much less something as unregulated as dog vitamins so I’m looking for recommendations. I don’t want to either throw my money away, or give them something harmful.

Default Re: Vitamins for dogs?

Hi,

I have merged your thread about vitamins into your baby's original thread. Unlike some social media platforms, we like to keep all posts about each dog in one thread. That way it is easier to keep up with history and allows you to create a sort of diary of her Cushing's journey so you can see patterns or get reminders of events, comments, etc. should you need them.

As for vitamins, I'm not familiar enough with multi-vitamins for dogs to offer much info. I would suggest you ask her vet tho. They may have something specific that could help with the appetite. I know mine have received B12 injections in the past when appetite fell off but they were much older dogs. But that is the extent of my experience with canine multi-vitamins.

Is she continuing to improve on the half dose?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Here’s a belated welcome from me! I’m sorry I haven’t have the chance to write to you earlier, but I’m so glad to hear that your girl seems to be doing better on the reduced dose of trilostane. Like Leslie, though, I’m afraid I don’t know enough about vitamins for dogs to be able to make any specific recommendations. The addition of some omega fatty acids might be helpful for her skin and coat. I’ve used a combination fish/borage seed/flaxseed oil capsule with my Lab girl at various times. But I’m not knowledgeable about vitamins, and I agree with Leslie that your best and safest bet is probably to consult with your vet.

The issue of inappetance, regardless of cause, is always so upsetting with our furkids. Again, my elderly Lab has been really, really picky off-and-on since December. Finally (knock on wood so as not to jinx things!) she’s back to her normal appetite just by mixing some crumbled cooked ground turkey into her kibble along with some warm water — kind of like a stew. That is surely not innovative nor exotic by any means, but after trying several other combos, this is the one that she seems to be happy with — at least for now.

Anyway, continued good luck to you, and we’ll be anxious for more updates.
    Marianne

Thanks for the welcome! She seems to be doing well so far, her energy level continues to be great and the excessive drinking has still settled down. Her appetite isn’t what it was before, but it’s not that she won’t eat, it’s more that she holds out from eating her dog food to see if she can get something better. But she does usually eat most of it if I pour it out of her dish onto the floor and she eats everything else we give her. I’m sure if I mixed something in with her food she would eat it all but I don’t want to spoil her unnecessarily. Her pot belly and muscle weakness is still there but I expect that to take a bit of time to resolve. So I think the drug is doing what it’s supposed to do and I don’t think she’s on too much now with the half dose. It’s nice to see her personality coming back again, she was so tired all the time before she was diagnosed that she was in a bit of a stupor most of the time. Now she’s voluntarily going outside, walking around the yard and going into the garage when we are out there, looking for pieces of wood and toys to chew on etc. like she used to. She even came running to me the other day and tried to leap over some things in her way, it was more of a stumble with the muscle weakness but it’s the thought that counts lol!

Default Re: Question about trilostane side effects

It appears your girl has been on 30 mg trilostane since May 2nd. Since your vet has never done an acth stimulation test, one is due now so I highly recommend you book that appointment asap. It's always amazing when our dogs start acting like the dog we knew but it is very important to adhere to monitoring protocol so that you know what your girl's cortisol status is. Happy dogs can have low cortisol and if you don't detect it through testing and make the necessary downward adjustment, happy dogs can get very sick.