Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Our Silver Belle Labrador~Athena has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Default Re: New here. Diagnosis today for our Silver Lab of PD Cushings. Guidance please.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy1 View Post
    Hi,

I also have a dual diagnosis pup. Annie is a 10 year old miniature schnauzer who has been diabetic for over a year and was diagnosed with cushings in February of this year.

I share your frustration with the k9 diabetes forum and I’ll leave it at that. As far as insulin goes, Annie has always been on Novolin N—that’s what it says on the box and we buy it at Walmart for 26.00 a bottle—-no kidding. We started off buying it at CVS but were paying 120.00 for it there. We found out about the Walmart price by accident.

Uncontrolled cushings has a direct effect on how insulin works or doesn’t in dogs but you should probably talk to your vet about that. I hope this has helped a little. Blessings to you and Athena. Karen
    That’s strange I just posted a response but it disappeared anyway I wanted to thank you because your post helped us tremendously that’s the exact insulin that both are pharmacists told us about. Calling the vet tomorrow on that

I feel the same way about the diabetes site and I’m trying not to say a lot but I too will leave it at that I probably already said too much but I definitely will not be returning there

We are just trying to do the best we can for our girl to give her the best days that she can have it for as long as she can have without letting her suffer

Again thank you so much for your post it really did help us a lot :-) we will keep you posted

I forgot to say that yes were working on controlling her Cushing’s it may just require an increase in her compound medicine which we may be doing this week. She’s on the flex tabs but the pharmacy is out of state and has notified our vet that the flex tabs are no longer available and it’s going to be an elixir form that we will have to give her
    Last edited by WeLoveAthena; 07-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Default Re: New here. Diagnosis today for our Silver Lab of PD Cushings. Guidance please.

Hi back, I’m glad I could give you some hopeful-helpful information. I spent time this afternoon reading through your prior posts. My goodness you guys have been through hell and back with your pups over the years and now your baby Athena.

We have traveled similar paths but I don’t know your first name. I totally understand if you want to remain anonymous. However, because we both have dual diagnosis pups and neither of us really connect with the diabetes site would it be ok if I send you a personal message through this site? I’m not trying to invade your privacy, it’s just that I think we could be sounding boards for each other off the public forum.

First of all, my husband and I thank your husband for his service. And we thank you too for your service. My husband is a Vietnam vet but was not in direct combat. We also have health challenges. Like I said, we have more in common than you know. Blessings to your family, Karen

Hi back, I’m glad I could give you some hopeful-helpful information. I spent time this afternoon reading through your prior posts. My goodness you guys have been through hell and back with your pups over the years and now your baby Athena.

We have traveled similar paths but I don’t know your first name. I totally understand if you want to remain anonymous. However, because we both have dual diagnosis pups and neither of us really connect with the diabetes site would it be ok if I send you a personal message through this site? I’m not trying to invade your privacy, it’s just that I think we could be sounding boards for each other off the public forum.

First of all, my husband and I thank your husband for his service. And we thank you too for your service. My husband is a Vietnam vet but was not in direct combat. We also have health challenges. Like I said, we have more in common than you know. Blessings to your family, Karen

Yes :-). Please send me a PM. Thanks

I will send you a message tomorrow. Today was a long day so please forgive the brief delay. Blessings, Karen

I will send you a message tomorrow. Today was a long day so please forgive the brief delay. Blessings, Karen
    Absolutely :-). We understand it’s been a very long week for us
    Chat soon Thanks so much

Did you receive my message? Karen

I hope all is well.

****UPDATE****
    Athena recovered very quickly within hours of what they determined was a vestibular crisis
    She had a very detailed exam by our actual vet and found out that one of her eyes is completely blind and the other one is partial but she is losing that sight rather quickly in that eye but with her cataracts they think she can still see around them a little bit she does amazingly well going where she needs to go but one of us is always with her if not both of us when she goes outside. She does really good in the house and we are hoping when we move she adjusts quickly. At her house we will have ramps everywhere and not stairs so it’ll be great for her

She still on the same pain medication and we just received her new Cushing’s medication which is a compound form of Veteroyl because she cannot handle the name-brand stuff but this time it’s an elixir form because the Pharmacy that we were getting it from in Arizona can no longer ship to our state so we had to go through another compound pharmacy which only makes an elixir form praying that it’s basically the same thing and there’s no side effects from it

She was placed on Adequan and we agreed and then we kind of went back-and-forth because we just didn’t want to have to let her have another injection of something given she gets to insulin shots twice a day but we decided to go for it and today she had her first injection. I gave it to her the first five shots are given IM. Being a nurse I’ve given thousands of those kinds of shots to humans and I’ve been through so much as a nurse and combat sounds that I cannot believe how edgy I was about giving Athena this shot but I guess it’s because she’s our dog and our girl. But I just got past that by knowing that we are trying to help her and not hurt her but for all that built-up stress of giving her an injection IM she did great she didn’t even act like it phased her it was a highly successful first injection. WOOOO HOOOO!!

She got a very special treat for that :-)

I forgot to mention the only other changes we switched from the $225 + Humlin N to the Novolin N for $25. Thankfully so far she’s doing well on the note from when and this has allowed us to free up funds for her other needs we would never have switched her without talking to the vet or doing our homework which we did extensively speaking with several pharmacists and a pet pharmacist And input from some awesome people on this site are wet was a little unsure about it but she said to watch her closely and maybe Athena is just one of those dogs that will do well since she’s pretty unique in so many ways. Athena always falls into that small percentage category. We had to adjust her Cushing’s medicine because if we can’t get that under control her diabetes will never be all the way under control either and that’s what we are battling but at least she’s holding out good on this insulin because she needs 2 vials a month it was getting outrageous just for her insulin and we want to make sure she has everything she needs

We've said it once and will say it again she’s quite an amazing lab!

Hope everyone here is doing well just thought I would give everybody the update after that scare we had with her last week
    Last edited by WeLoveAthena; 09-27-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Default Our Silver Belle Labrador~Athena has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Our Beautiful Silver Labrador Athena crossed the Rainbow Bridge @0842 on Saturday 7/27/19
    Will explain more later. Unable too at this time. Our hearts are completely broken but she’s free now. she flying by the light of the silvery moon. Our beautiful Silver Belle Athena was everything to us....everything
    Thank you to all that helped us since the day we arrived here :-(
    Last edited by WeLoveAthena; 07-29-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Default Re: Our Silver Belle Labrador~Athena has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

I am so, so sorry to read this news. I know how precious Athena has been — and will always be — to your family. In the midst of your own sorrow, thank you so much for letting us know what has happened. Athena now joins our other angels on our special memorial thread:

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...Left-Us-(2019)

She’ll always be honored by her family here, and we’ll always remain here for you, as well, at any time that you may wish to return and tell us more.

My heart goes out to you from across the miles,
    Marianne

Default Re: Our Silver Belle Labrador~Athena has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

What sad news...I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.