Thread: My boy lost his battle this weekend

Default My boy lost his battle this weekend

Hi everyone, I found this forum this past Thursday while googling “Cushings symptoms worse at night”. I wish I found it sooner, it’s seems like a great supportive community.

My 15 year old dachshund had pancreatitis and cushings. He had a long happy life with some ups and downs as we adapt and adjust to his medical needs while he got older. This past week was his worst ever. On Monday his doggy best friend that he grew up with (but no longer lives with) has passed. Call me crazy but he hasnÂ’t been right since. Tues night he had a hard time settling (which he has struggled with off and on) and wed, thurs it just got worse. Thursday night I knew it was his time. Friday morning he was his usual self and I called to have the vets come to the house soonest was Saturday. Friday night was the absolute worst. He wouldnÂ’t settle and kept crying, then he had a seizure and during the recovery phase still kept crying so we rushed him to the emergency vet to make sure he wasnÂ’t in pain and so they could give him something to sleep comfortably until the vet got here tomorrow.

My heart is broken. Like literally broken. I didnÂ’t want him to suffer and I feel like maybe he did at the end.

Anyway thank you guys for listening.

Default Re: My boy lost his battle this weekend

I am so terribly sorry for the loss of your dear boy and my heart goes out to you at this most painful time. We are here for you and if at any time you would want to share more about your boy we would be honored to listen.

With Heartfelt Sympathy, Lori

I am sorry to be so late in posting this note, and above all I’m so sorry for your loss. We are honored that you’ve come here to tell us about your sweet boy, and we surely understand why your heart is broken. It sounds as though you two shared a long and loving life together — but it just is never long enough, is it. I also understand why you’re wishing those final hours might have played out differently. But in my own mind and heart, I truly believe that any hard moments at the end were just the blink of an eye for him, as compared to his lifetime of memories of love and comfort.

If you have more memories of your own that you’d care to share with us, please know that we will welcome you back here now or at any time in the future to talk about anything you’d like. Or just to tell us how you’re doing. We’ll always be here for you.

And in the meantime, we join you in honoring your sweet little boy. Always in loving memory,
    Marianne

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

I too am very sorry for the loss of your boy!! We are always here and will always remember him here.
    My deepest sympathies
    Terry

Dear Jackie,

I am so sorry to hear about your precious baby boy. There is never a good time nor are we ever ready to face such a loss. And we always go thru periods of questioning ourselves...did we do enough? did we do too much? what if this? what if that? Sadly we rarely know the answers this side of that great divide. I do believe when it is our time we will be with our babies again, that they will be waiting for us to cross and then they will fly into our arms, covering our faces with kisses, and telling us that everything we did was just right. It is that love that makes us hurt so bad and search for answers that we can accept but our babies know that we did everything from a place of deep love and caring for them and are so very grateful for it all. So please don't let yourself stay in this place too long. I have no doubt you are a great dog mom and am sure in the depths of my Soul that your sweet boy feels the same.

I am glad you felt safe to share this grief with us...we do understand only too well and will be here any time you need to talk, cry, scream, whatever. You are among friends who know what you feel.

My deepest sympathies,
    Leslie

The Vision

I saw a ship with beautiful sails on a foggy
    winter’s morn; it seemed so peaceful
    as it passed by no sound came from it at all.
    I stood and watched the beauty as it passed me by the shore, and when I
    looked around to see
    who was on it;
    there it was no more. I stood and wondered
    why this vision had come my way, and then God reminded me we must all pass
    away some day.
    And even though the beauty goes from our sight
    the image remains in our hearts and
    it remains so bright.
    So take some comfort just now and know that for sure, your pets are safe with God in
    His land forever more.

-- © 2005 by Julie Schofield
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing our babies is so very hard.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.