Thread: Splitting Chewables

Default Splitting Chewables

Has anyone used svpmeds chewable compounded Trilostane? Are they indeed split-able with the ability to provide half the dosage per split?

https://lonestarvetacademy.com/wp-co...gital-Copy.pdf

Default Re: Splitting Chewables

I talked to the pharmacist over at SVPMeds and she said they can be cut in half and they are at least 90% likely you a giving the correct dosage but they are made to be cut in half and even 1/4ths.

Default Re: Splitting Chewables

I just now posted this same info on your thread over on K9D but I’ll add it here, as well, for the benefit of our K9C readers ;-).

I don’t think it’s a big issue if the dose is not exactly evenly split. The manufacturer of brandname Vetoryl gives the OK to uneven twice daily doses if isn’t feasible to arrive at duplicate doses. This can be an issue with Vetoryl since it is only produced in those four discrete capsule sizes — it can take multiple capsule combinations to arrive at an exact split. When the exact dosage is known and a split is impractical, they instruct you to give the larger of the two doses in the morning. In this case with the chewables, you won’t know the exact dosage in each half. But based on what the pharmacist has told you, the difference should be negligible and therefore hopefully a non-issue either way.