Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cushings? Or something else?

Default Re: Cushings? Or something else?

I’m very sorry to hear that Mini is still having these problems. I know it must be a great worry to you. Hopefully the testing on Friday will offer some helpful information, and the Emeprid will ease her stomach in the meantime. We’ll surely be keeping you all in our thoughts until we learn more.

Marianne

Hello there!

I have the latest results of Mini her blood work.

Liver was still to high, but better:
    Bilirubin total 2,56 Max 1,71
    ALT 161 Max 70
    Gamma GT 71 Max 9
    Alkaline phosphatase ALP 481 Max 111

Kidneys are worsening
    Potassium 6,1 Max 5,6
    Chloride 103 Min 106
    Urea 12,2 Max 9,49
    Phosphate 2,15 Max 1,88
    Sdma 19,1 Max 14
    Creatinine 75,2 63,8

Neutrophils 85,1 Max 77
    Lymphocytes 7,7 Min 12
    Thrombocytes 12 999000 Max 510000
    Albumine 50 Max 44
    Cortisol 138 Max 40
    Reticulocyten index 2,8 Max 2

She still vomits occasionally and her cortisol is still too high. The vet has increased her Vetoryl to 2 x 5mg a day.
    What do you think of her blood results? I think that te vet doesn’t want to make me scared. But I only see a dog that sleeps a lot and has bad blood results and is always hungry.
    Last edited by Lilly; 06-10-2022 at 01:36 AM.

I'm really sorry that Mini's bloodwork is not improving. Again, I'm not a vet, but I'm thinking that the worsening kidney values would be the greatest worry right now. Since she has elevations in her creatinine, her urea (here in the U.S. that is referred to in labs as BUN), and also her SDMA reading, I'm wondering whether her kidneys need to take top priority over everything else. I don't know whether your vet is asking you to change her diet (lowering the amount of protein a bit?) or adding any supplemental healthy omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil, etc.)? Also, even though her cortisol is still running higher than you wish, there are specific warnings about giving Vetoryl to dogs who are suffering from kidney dysfunction. The kidneys play an important role in metabolizing and clearing the drug from a dog's body, and if the kidneys are are not working properly, I believe there can be a danger in the Vetoryl accumulating in the body. So I really hope your vet may be communicating with the makers of Vetoryl in order to decide whether Mini's kidney elevations are high enough to be considered an issue with her taking the medication. Perhaps not, but especially now that the dose is being increased, I'd welcome Dechra's guidance about that.

Unfortunately, there are different things that can be causing Mini to vomit. But kidney issues could be one of those things. So again, as I say, I think that's the area that I'd want to focus on right now. I'm so sorry you and Mini are still having such a hard time!

Sending healing wishes to your sweet girl,
    Marianne

If she were my dog, I would stop the Vetoryl. I stopped it many times with Gable if he wasn't feeling well, and then restarted when he seemed better. I didn't know better with Lena. If I did, I would have stopped it. Stopping it seems to me to be the lesser of all her other problems. It won't hurt her to stop....
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Thanks to both for thinking along with me.

It's been a rough week...
    One lucky thing is that she hasn't vomited anymore. The vet is really convinced that the dose of Vetoryl is not too much. I called her 3 times this week
    She eats, drinks and pees a lot. Her urine test was also bad, the density was reduced to 1.011 and the protein loss is still severe at 3.25. The vet has prescribed Fortekor for this.

The new problem is that her gums are inflamed and she has pain while eating. The vet was reluctant to give her painkillers because of her kidneys.
    Now she is on antibiotics and in 3 weeks we will have her teeth clean up, the anaesthesia is a risk for her but we have no other choice.

We are reluctant to let her go through all this, but we don't know how long she will live right now. Maybe another year and you can't do that with bad teeth... It's so difficult…

I surely do understand how difficult these decisions are for you. I know you are working your hardest to make Mini as comfortable as possible, though, and she is so lucky that you are taking care of her. In these situations, I think we always worry whether we’re making mistakes. I know that I probably *have* made many mistakes with my own dogs over the years. But we do the best we can, given what we are seeing and what we’ve been told. And you’re doing exactly that right now. Please continue to update us in the coming days, and know that we’re always here supporting you and sweet Mini.

Marianne

Today Mini has gone to heaven…
    Tis morning she was showing pain and looked terrible, we had have to let her go.
    We are devastated…

Default Re: Cushings? Or something else? (Sweet Mini has gone to heaven)

Oh Lilly, I’m so very sorry. I know the pain of losing her is so sharp and so raw. Truly, you did everything that was within your power to try to help her. But it was clear that she was a very sick little girl, and now you’ve given her the final gift of releasing her from her pain. But now your own hearts are hurting, oh so much. Thank you so much for telling us what has happened, though. We will always honor her here among our family of Cushing’s Angels. And we’ll always be here for you to talk to. At any time.

I know there’s nothing I can say right now to ease your own pain. But I’ll be lighting a candle of my own tonight, in loving memory of your sweet Mini. And my heart is with you and your family.

Sending so many hugs across the miles,
    Marianne

I'm so sorry, Lilly...it's devastating when we try so hard and nothing seems to work. We can only do what we can do with the knowledge we have. Mini knew how much you loved her, and she loved you unconditionally.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Thank you for your kind words.

The pain is really sharp now, it needs time. The only consolation is that she is no longer in pain, and that she is now with her friend Bas, our little fur boy who went to heaven 7 years ago.