Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cushings? Or something else?

Default Re: Cushings? Or something else?

Yesterday I got the results of the blood test, it was on the phone so I don’t have numbers yet.
    Everything related to Cushings was not so good.
    The abdominal ultrasound showed an enlarged liver and adrenal glands.
    Friday I get the results from her kidneys.

But there is another problem. She has Gallbladder Mucocele, the value what should have been maximum 9 is with her 123.
    She needs medication for this also.

Tomorrow we start with the Vetoryl, 1 x 5mg. I am a little bit nervous…

Anyone have experience with gallbladder mucocele?

Hello again! By now, I’m guessing you’ve already given Mini her first dose of Vetoryl and I’m surely hoping that she is doing well with it. We’ve forgotten to ask how much she weighs, but knowing that she is a chihuahua, I’m guessing that 5 mg. is a good place to start.

As far as the ultrasound, I know it’s upsetting but an enlarged liver and adrenal glands are typically found in dogs with Cushing’s. If both adrenal glands are enlarged, then that is more support for the diagnosis that Mini’s Cushing’s is caused by a pituitary tumor. Cushing’s is also known to be a cause of gallbladder mucoceles, and we’ve had other dogs here with that problem. I don’t know very much about mucoceles, myself, but I do believe that medication can be helpful.

Mini’s adrenal glands will likely never return to normal size, but we’ll hope to see improvement with both her liver and her gallbladder once her medication treatment has had a chance to start working. I know this must be a very scary time for you, but you’re doing all the right things to take care of Mini! We’ll be very anxious to know how things go for her this week.

Marianne

Yesterday I got the results of her kidneys, it was also bad
    On top of the rest she got chronic kidney disease, stage 2 of 4. She needs medication for this but the vet wants to wait because she said it’s too much at once with the other medication.

This morning she got her third Vetoryl, she weighs 3,8kg, so far she’s not sic.
    She sleeps a lot and doesn’t want to sit on the couch with us, or walk,… I think we’ll lose her in a while

I’m so sorry to hear that kidney problems are now added to the list, too. But I’ll surely hope that if her Cushing’s can be better controlled, then you’ll end up with improvement in all these other areas, as well. I know how hard it must be to see her slowing down so much, though. It is a worry and a sadness. We’ll surely hope you’ll soon see some improvement. But if not, you’ve been doing everything in your power to help her and you are filling her days with love. That’s the greatest gift of all, no matter what the future brings.

We’ll always be here for you to talk to, no matter what. Sending my warmest thoughts to you both,
    Marianne

Thank you for your support, I’am happy I found this forum.
    I keep you updated!

Mini started vomiting on Saturday. On Sunday we didn’t give Vetoryl and called the vet.
    Mini is not extremely lethargic and still begging for food so the vet doesn’t think it is because of the Vetoryl but more from her other diseases, gallbladder or kidneys.
    This morning she was given Vetoryl again and now she is vomiting again. I am scared now and want stop the Vetoryl.
    The vet has prescribed Emeprid for her nausea, so do you think we can give the Emeprid a chance and wait and see. Or do we go back to the vet?

If it was me, I would call the vet and tell them the vomiting started again after giving the Vetoryl and that you want to wait several days now before trying to give any more Vetoryl. If the vomiting stops while she’s off the Vetoryl but starts right back up again with another dose, it seems much more likely to me that it’s the Vetoryl itself that’s upsetting her stomach. Your vet may want to see her today, regardless. And of course if she worsens or seems more generally unwell, you’d also want to take her in. The vomiting may indeed be unrelated to the Vetoryl. But if you end up stopping it twice and then have it immediately begin again after a dose of Vetoryl, I think you have more evidence that it’s the Vetoryl that she’s reacting to.

Marianne

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    If it was me, I would call the vet and tell them the vomiting started again after giving the Vetoryl and that you want to wait several days now before trying to give any more Vetoryl. If the vomiting stops while she’s off the Vetoryl but starts right back up again with another dose, it seems much more likely to me that it’s the Vetoryl itself that’s upsetting her stomach. Your vet may want to see her today, regardless. And of course if she worsens or seems more generally unwell, you’d also want to take her in. The vomiting may indeed be unrelated to the Vetoryl. But if you end up stopping it twice and then have it immediately begin again after a dose of Vetoryl, I think you have more evidence that it’s the Vetoryl that she’s reacting to.

Marianne
    Thank you! I give it a try for a few days.

Just checking back to see how Mini is doing — doing well, I hope!

Marianne

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    Just checking back to see how Mini is doing — doing well, I hope!

Marianne

Thank you for your concern.

Her nausea is not from the Vetoryl but from her other illnesses. We tried to stop the Emeprid and she started vomiting within a few hours.
    I called the vet again and she said I can give the Emeprid for another 5 days, if she doesn’t stop vomiting than we have to look further.
    We have an appointment on Friday for another blood test.

There are times that she seems fine and there are times that she looks sick and quiet, she sleeps a lot.
    She begs for food al the time when she opens one aye. There are times when we’re not sure if she’s still enjoying life…