Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New member - Staffie starting Vetoryl

Default Re: New member - Staffie starting Vetoryl

Hi again, Sue. I’m not a vet, but I don’t think the two doses have to be exactly 12 hours apart. A key factor, though, is that all doses should be given along with a meal. So if his feeding schedule is such that an exact 12 hour interval isn’t possible, then I believe that being able to give the med along with food is more important.

As far as type of food is concerned, good quality protein and lower fat probably is a good choice (lower fat since Cushpups *may* be more vulnerable to pancreatitis which is possibly associated with higher fat consumption). However, I’d hold off on any major dietary changes while Hendrix is adjusting to the Vetoryl. If he ends up with any kind of GI upset right now, you won’t know whether it’s the medication or the food. Limiting the variables right now is probably the safest way to go ;-).

Marianne

Hello again everyone xx

We have been having a bit of a tough time with Hendrix this past two weeks. When the vet raised the dose to 60mg twice a day all was well. Then after about 3 weeks on that dose I noticed that Hendrix was walking with a slightly stumbling gait sometimes, not putting his feet quite right, he had a paralysis on one side of his face. His ear was floppy, his eye was moving sideways now and then. His lips were drooping and he was slobbering a little, he had never done this before. This all started on my Birthday 2nd June. He was due a further Cushings blood test on 6th June and they also did a thyroid test on that date. I told the vet about the symptoms he was having. The vet felt that it was neurological possibly due to the benign Cushings tumour if its in his brain.

The thyroid results came back as normal. The Cushings numbers had dropped from a high position to 127 or 129, cant remember exactly. The results took a week to come back from the lab. On the day we got them Hendrix was beginning to show signs of reacting to the Vetoryl dose. Upset stomach, not wanting to eat so no way of getting Vetoryl into him as he was having problems both ends. He was also quite lethargic. Vet saw him straight away and checked his electrolytes, which came back as ok. The dose is now lowered to 40mg twice a day and half a paracetamol (Standard British pain killer) 3 times a day, that on our vets advice. He is now consulting with others to see if they can find out what is causing the neurological signs. The first vet said it could well be the Cushings tumour is growing and causing intercranial pressure in Hendrix's head. I know that until we get some sort of reply from the vet we are just watching for seizures, head pressing, turning circles etc. Hendrix isnt always wanting to eat first time now and I am hand feeding him at least once a day to keep his meds going in. Has anyone had experience please of a dog with Cushings having neurological problems and if so were they due to the meds or a tumour? Our poor boy is still happy just a wobbly lad at the moment. xxxx

I should have added the second time we saw a vet this time round was 5 days ago. I mentioned the rapid drop in the Cortisol levels once the dose was increased, he felt that Hendrix's body may not have adjusted yet to the new levels. Hence he said that any arthritis Hendrix may have will now be revealing itself which is why he suggested the paracetamol rather than an expensive vet med. xx

Hi again, Sue. I’m so sorry to hear that Hendrix is having these problems — I know how worrisome this must be for you. For the benefit of our U.S. readers, his most recent cortisol level was equivalent to approx. 4.6 ug/dL. This level, in and of itself, would not be considered too low. But I think your vet is right that a cortisol level that dropped really rapidly can still cause a dog to feel unwell for a time.

Unfortunately, though, the possibility of an expanding pituitary tumor is also a genuine threat in the face of inappetance and newly emerging neurological symptoms. Some years ago, I lost my own Cushpup to what we assume were the effects of an expanding Macroadenoma. We did not perform the very expensive imaging of his head that would have confirmed that diagnosis. But like Hendrix, he started refusing food when his cortisol was well within normal range, and he developed other problems as well. I’m going to give you a link to a thread here that is devoted to discussion of Macroadenomas. I’ve posted some replies there that discuss my own experience in great detail. Other owners have also contributed a lot of helpful information.

As you’ll read on that thread, discontinuing the Vetoryl altogether may be recommended if an expanding tumor seems likely. This is because higher levels of circulating steroids can help reduce swelling and inflammation of affected brain tissue. In that situation, treatment trade-offs have to be weighed in terms of addressing the most urgent problem at the expense of leaving other issues unattended.

Anyway, here’s the link to that thread. You can look that over and see whether any of the information seems familiar or instead raises new questions. Again, I’m so sorry that Hendrix is struggling right now and I continue to send my healing wishes to your sweet boy.

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...-Macroadenomas

Marianne

Marianne. Thank you so much for your reply. I will have a good read down the thread later that you have kindly put a link to. I am going to get Hendrix out now as its getting quite warm later and I want him to have his walk first. I will reply more once I have done that. My husband also thanks you, we have both been so worried about Hendrix and he is relieved to have some answers that I can now put to the vet and the rescue. Love and licks from Hendrix too xxx

Sue, you are so very welcome for any help I may be able to offer. I’m afraid you’ll not find that thread to be very cheery reading :-(((. But an enlarging tumor may not be Hendrix’s problem at all. And even if so, I do believe that knowledge grants us the power to make the best decisions that are possible, even in difficult situations. So once again, take a look and think things over. And definitely do keep us updated!

Marianne