Thread: Minnie - maybe Cushing’s

Kelseyville, CA - 3 hours north of San Francisco, and 3 hours from UC Davis

Default Minnie - maybe Cushing’s

My 11 1/2 year old Frenchie, Minnie is being worked up for Cushing's, getting a dex test on November 3. She had a high 3-day urine cortisol result (45.6). I collected at home, first morning squat, and she didn’t even realize I was collecting. She doesn’t have the outward, physical pot belly or fur issues, but she drinks and pees a lot. Her appetite has always been more than good, but she may be doing a little more food-seeking. Her urine on dip was extremely dilute 1.002. She’d had bloodwork and urinalysis 10 months ago, so a fairly recent comparison. She had a UTI, but no UTI this time. Only change in bloodwork was a high ALT which was normal 10 months ago. I need to get that number and a copy of her bloodwork results.

Sadly, this is not my first time here. I lost my beloved Frenchie, Pia, to Cushing’s, August, 14, 2013. I had a thread back then and it helped me to keep track of that short and horrible journey, and this group was my support, my source of strength, my helping hand, and I will always be grateful.

If no one minds, I’ll just keep posting to this thread so I have everything in one place. It was so helpful when Pia was so sick. Thank you.
    Bonnie - Mama to Maggie, my sweet 15 year old Boston Terrier who is deaf, blind, has cardiac issues, and an occasional seizure, and to Pia my darling 8 year old French Bulldog who had a stroke at age 5, and was diagnosed with Cushings 6/11/2013 at age 8. Sadly, my sweet Pia crossed the Rainbow Bridge August 14, 2013, and my dear Maggie joined her November 29, 2013. On December 3, I am sure they brought Kelly, a homeless boxer into my life. I am forever grateful.

Default Re: Minnie - maybe Cushing’s

Oh Bonnie, of course you are welcome to rejoin us and to start this new thread about Minnie! I remember sweet Pia so very well, and I can hardly believe that this many years have passed since you were with us before. As happy as I am to see you, I’m so sorry that you now have reason to worry about Minnie. It sounds as though you are headed off on the appropriate diagnostic road, however, and we’ll do our best to answer any questions and offer our support all along the way.

I’m afraid I have to close for now since I’m trying to help find shelter for an abandoned kitty! But I’ll definitely be back, and we’re definitely glad to have you with us once again.

Marianne

Default Re: Minnie - maybe Cushing’s

Hi Bonnie and welcome. I am also on my second cushpup. When my Lena was diagnosed in December of 2015 i searched and googled and finally found this forum, which was a Godsend for my short journey with her as she passed in February of 2016. The information and comfort I received here helped me tremendously. I don't think I could have gotten through it without them.

Now I am going through it again with my big guy Gable. If it hadn't been for everyone here I am sure he would have died, but with all that I learned I was ready to take control of his treatment and not leave it up to the vets. I know they would have started him on the vetoryl at a much higher dose than I wanted because he was about 80 pounds. He started at 40mg, which worked for a while then we needed to change it. He was doing well on 5mg for about a year, maybe more, but just recently we had to up it another 5. He is getting old, and the Cushing's is making it harder, but he's still here and happy so I am just watching for signs and enjoying every day that he's still with us.

You already know how wonderful this forum is, so welcome in spite of the circumstances that brought you back.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.