Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hera - 11 years old (Cushings & Diabetes insipidus)

Default Re: Hera - 11 years old (Cushings & Diabetes insipidus)

Guys thank you very much for your replies and wishes.

Kevin, I went through and read your story with Cooper and need to mention that we also had to fight with all these UTIs for months and giving antibiotics for so long period made my dog really weak. When we changed the vet I told him to collect urine directly from her bladder so to avoid any bacteria from the surrounding area which may affect the analysis and it came clear! do you believe it? previous vet was insisting that it is the same thing if collecting urines free in the pot while the dog is urinating in relation with taking urine directly from bladder. So all these UTIs were false positive?? Then we tried the desmopressin to check if it works on symptoms (polyuria/polydipsia).
    I am so sorry to hear for the pituitary tumors you found...

Regarding the supplements you mentioned, is it possible for you to give me more information on these as it seems that they are not available in Greece or EU?

Thanks again.

All the best.
    Amelia

Thanks Amelia. Appreciate the insight on the UTI's. He has had urine cultures which continue to indicate an infection. He's on a month long course of antibiotics now. Poor guy has so much going on currently that its hard to even cover off everything. Loving him as much as we can right now.
    Last edited by Kevin; 09-09-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Can you order from Amazon in Greece? I believe you can. I would try to get your hands on Dr Dresslers Dog Cancer guide. He covers all of the supplements and holistic options he feels are relevant. Like I said, I'm a skeptic so my approach is to tell you whats out there and you can go from there....
    https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Cancer-Su...1194326&sr=8-3

Following is the study they did at Penn on Mushrooms for Dogs w/ Hemangiosarcoma. To illustrate how I try to remain objective on supplements--- I found another study where they used Mushroom supplementation for Lymphoma and the results were not nearly as impressive.
    https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/com...et-study-finds
    Last edited by Kevin; 09-09-2021 at 10:02 AM.

I just wanted to add that, anecdotally, I’ve heard from two friends in two separate parts of the U.S. that a mushroom supplement of some sort was recommended for both their dogs by their traditional vets, so apparently there is some fairly widespread interest in mushrooms in conjunction with veterinary cancer care. Unfortunately, I have no specifics at all, and like Kevin, I’m always anxious to see bona fide controlled research results (Kevin, thanks for posting that UPenn link!). But I thought I’d go ahead and add this note anyway, because both friends did feel as though the supplement/s they were giving did provide some benefit.

Continued healing wishes to Hera, no matter what treatment path you end up taking.
    Marianne

Amelia,

I will add one note-- in the US, one of the popular forms of a Mushroom supplement is K9 Immunity. I cannot tell you if their formula has the exact mushroom that was used in the Penn study
    Believe it now comes in a powder form. This is the mushroom supplement recommended by Dr Dressler in his book (along with another supplement called Apocaps which I haven't had a chance to read on as far as any studies).
    As Marianne said, I believe these Mushroom supplements for Dogs with Cancer have entered the more mainstream Vet community so it DOES feel like they are a bit more than the typical wild claims you sometimes
    see with holistics. What I wish we had more of is real studies. The Penn study was almost a decade ago and I'd say it certainly warrants more follow up studies on Mushroom supplementation for Dogs with Cancer. And we
    certainly have no shortage of Dogs with Cancer(sadly). Take care and hoping for the best.

https://www.k9medicinals.com/
    Last edited by Kevin; 09-10-2021 at 09:30 AM.

I just wanted to check in and see how Hera is doing. Sending all the positive energy to you both!

~ Jennifer