Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to the forum - Ambro is now at Rainbow Bridge

Default Re: New to the forum and seeking experienced assistance!

So it sounds like it’s a bit of a rollercoaster for you guys, but we’ll hold onto the positives and hope that they’ll end up overtaking the rougher spots. Do have a safe trip! I know Ambro will never be far from your minds, nor will he be far from ours during the coming days.

Beaming warm thoughts and healing energy your way!

I am glad your pitbull is feeling better. When my pitbull Callie had her brain tumor she was first diagnosed with a stroke by the neurology team at Ncstate emergency department. They told me that her symptoms would resolve in a few days if it was a stroke, but that if it didn’t resolve it was a brain tumor and my regular vet should prescribe prednisone. It did not resolve, it got worse. The vet started her on prednisone. My Callie did improve stopped the pacing and circling and confusion. She was so confused she was trying to jump on top of dresser drawers and into bookcases onto shelves and things that she knew not to do and would never have done. She was really a danger to herself and I had to keep her on a leash. Anyway she responded to the first round of prednisone for a couple weeks but then she got worse so we had to raise the dose of prednisone and she did better and then she got worse and then she was on the top dose of prednisone and got better and then got worse again. Then she was worst of all just incredibly bizarre behavior. I had not put her through MRI, because I felt the risk of having her have anesthesia to be intubated to lay still for the MRI could put her at risk for stroke. Plus, I was not going to have her brain radiated. Callie has been such a fantastic dog and by the way a therapy dog at UNC Chapel Hill with me for five years, I could not put her through radiation which might cause brain swelling, numerous scans before and after radiation etc. etc. Knowing that the signs were of increased intracranial pressure and the next step would be to start seizing, I took her emergently to the vet to be put to sleep. I knew there was no where else to go with this. I also had taken her to an eye doctor, apparently by looking in the eyes they can see something that tells you good information about whether or not they have a brain tumor and he agreed that she did. I just can’t remember how he could tell. But I had read that an ophthalmology exam was the poor man’s way to tell if there was a brain tumor when you don’t want to do MRI. Anyway I just want to warn you that your dog may be up and down as you experiment with different doses of prednisone if he indeed has a brain tumor, including or aside from a pituitary tumor. I’m not sure if you know I did a lot of reading about brain tumors in dogs at the time and pitbull‘s are in the group of dogs with the increased rate of brain tumor. Apparently pitties are considered one of the breeds with a smooshed face including boxers and Boston terriers also and these breeds are overrepresented with brain tumors. I’m sorry your pitbull has these problems, they are the most amazing awesome precious dogs imaginable. They are like little children, which makes them so endearing. I hope your dog will improve.
    Last edited by BetsyFoxhoundMix; 08-07-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    Thanks,

Betsy’s Mom, Cathy

Hey everyone,

It is with great sorrow that I tell you that Ambro has made his journey across the Rainbow bridge today.

Our lack of posts have been due to the fight we were waging with him and his illness. On Sunday, when we were on the way back from our trip Ambro had a grandmal seizure, followed by a series of facial seizures. Our sitter immediately took him to the Evet and had him cared for. He was in and out Sunday night and placed on Kepra. On Monday, he again started having cluster facial focused seizures. Again, our sitter was amazing and scooped him up and had him at the Evet, this time he was held for 24hours. While there he had one seizure but they were able to stop it and added another seizure Med in with the Kepra. All this is while we are stuck in airports due to weather and flight delays.

We finally got home at 2am Tuesday and immediately went to pick Ambro up. When we picked him up, we could tell that this took a serious toll on him both mentally and physically, he had also lost 5-6lbs in a matter of 8days. Wednesday morning, our AMAZING Neuro called us and told us what happened during his stay and that in all reality, since we had been seizure free for 24hrs, they seemed controlled and we could take our time and enjoy it with him. As the day went on, we realized that Ambro had already left us. What we had in front of us was a trapped boy and it was no longer fair to keep fighting this fight. As much as we wanted to, it was not longer a viable option for him. So Wednesday we called and made our appoint for today.

Ambro crossed the bridge around 2:30pm est today on 8/12/21. He was the bestest boy a family could ask for. I just pray that they have stuffed hedgehogs and tennis balls at the gate for him, he loves them.

To everyone that has been a part of our journey and helped us find answers, we cannot thank you enough. This is never easy, but having a community with so much love and knowledge of this terrible disease is an amazing support system.

Default Ambro has gone to Rainbow Bridge

Oh my, I read your news soon after you had posted it yesterday and have been thinking about you all ever since. I was hoping that, by this morning, I would find the words that I wanted to write. But honestly, I know there really are no words that can change the depth of your loss. So I will simply say this. I am just so very sorry. Even though we couldn’t change the course of Ambro’s journey, we’re so grateful that you’ve shared him with us. It has been our privilege to welcome him into our family. What a dear, brave boy. We hope it may give you a bit of comfort to know that he’s now joined our other Rainbow Bridge babies on our special memorial thread of honor.

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...Us-(2020-2021)

He’ll always be remembered by his family here, and please know that you will always be welcomed back at any time to talk, to vent, to question, or just to share stories of your lives together. I was so hoping that things would turn out differently for you guys. But I truly do believe in my heart that love is forever. So fare thee well, Ambro, as your spirit sets off on your newest journey, cradled in love.

Sending my sympathy and warmest thoughts to you all from across the miles,
    Marianne

I'm so sorry for your loss of Ambro. Losing our beloved babies is just so, so hard. Sending hugs to you and comforting thoughts.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Ambro. You did all you could, and I am glad you were able to find this Cushings family. Everyone here is so amazing.
    Sending so much support to you and your family.

There is an endless supply of stuffed hedgehogs and tennis balls!
    - THAT I'm sure of!

Bless Mr Ambro, and my thoughts and tears are with you and your family right now.

I believe we grieve as an almost 'selfish' act (for lack of better word)
    Because our pups are now free of any pain/suffering/discomfort, unfortunately we have that loss do go thru (for now, until we see them again)
    In Loving Memory - Gigi (2006-2018)
    - Had a great quality of life as a "Cushings Dog"
    - And passed non Cushings related...