Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to forum... difficult time

Default Re: New to forum... difficult time

Hi Kevin, I’m also sorry that Cooper isn’t doing better than he is right now. I was so hoping that you’d start to see some definite signs that the tide is turning. But at this point, I agree with your vet’s assessment. Cooper’s 14-day ACTH results are indeed right where we’d want to see them at this first screening, and I wouldn’t want to increase his dose right at the moment, either. However, if his test results after a month are not much lower and he remains symptomatic, I do think an increase would be in order and that may well be the “push” he will need to benefit from more relief from his conventional Cushing’s symptoms. Here’s a link to a publication by Dechra that should answer most all of your questions about their recommended treatment and monitoring protocol. If you scroll down to page 11, you’ll find a purple monitoring flowchart that will explain those cortisol results. As you’ll see, Cooper is currently well within the “safe” range at the two-week testing mark. However, if you keep tracing down the flowchart, if he’s still suffering from significant symptoms at the end of 30 days, his single daily dose could be increased or a second daily dose could be added. So as your vet says, there’s definitely still hope that his conventional symptoms will improve more, given some time and/or a possible dosing increase. Here’s that link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5R...rlSFNlHpBdsSAA

As far as the neurological issues, as you already know, that is a wildcard. I certainly can’t argue with a neurological consultation. I guess the question would be timing. For me, living with uncertainty can be excruciating. If you’re like me, you might want to launch into a referral now. In the alternative, you might want to go ahead and let the first month of treatment play out, both for the benefit of seeing if things improve with hopeful resolution of the UTI and a longer time on the trilostane. Heck, maybe even the antibiotic that he’s taking for the UTI could be responsible for some of his ill effects. You can Google the medication that he’s taking and see if there are possible ill effects. My Lab girl periodically takes metronidazole (“Flagyl”) for recurring GI bouts, and I’ve become aware that it can sometimes cause neurological problems when given at high doses or for a long time. So that’s just a thought I’ll throw out there.

Anyway, we continue to send our well wishes to you all. Hang in there, Kevin, although I know it’s hard to do right now. I’ll surely be hoping a bit more time will bring some improvement.

Marianne

Default Re: New to forum... difficult time

Hi again, Kevin. I wanted to let you know that I’ve seen the note you posted on “Mae’s” thread for her girl, Siouxie. I’m so sorry to learn that Cooper has been diagnosed with two enlarging pituitary tumors — as though just one would not be enough. Again, I’m so sorry. Since you’ve now been in touch with two fine vet schools, I know you’re getting expert advice. But I also know that the finest advice cannot change your deep sadness over the diagnosis.

If there’s any way in which we can be of of help or support to you, please do let us know. No matter what, please know we’re thinking of your family and sending you our wishes for strength and comfort at this most difficult time.

Marianne