Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: “Shivering from Vectoryl ?”

Default Re: “Shivering from Vectoryl ?”

Appreciate your input with Coopers experience. Irma’s “shivering” is so faint and sporadic too. I have learned that the scary adverse reaction would be a whole body/muscle tremor. Getting her dose dropped really low so we can get another ACTH test done is going to go a long way with her Cushings management.Her symptoms right this moment have been the increased water and urinating and the restlessness in the evening. She is on a single small dose now and we have seen a improvement in her personality and a slight improvement during the day with other symptoms. She’s a 12/13 year old black lab (guestimentvon age since she’s a rescue) about 70 lbs.

Also wanted to post about Dechra the manufacture of Vetoryl they are very helpful with any questions or concerns we may have. There is a 24 hr medical hot line where they will start a medical file for your pet and answer and collaborate with your veterinarian.Our vet reached out and shared Irma’s lab work and history with them and offered a great deal of assistance.I’ll post the phone number later after work.Hope this can offer some help to the other families out there that are helping their pets with Cushings.

Yes, Dechra is very helpful. I called the hot line when I inadvertently took Gable's pills by mistake. Apparently it is a common occurrence! LOL!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Interesting thread! When you all mention "shivering" do you mean a whole body shiver?

My dog Jet's back leg or legs shake and tremble at times - mostly while he is first laying down (especially if you go to pet or rub his leg - it really starts trembling!). Sometimes while he is standing I notice it too. Not enough for him not to be able to stand or move, it's just a weird shaking or vibrating almost.
    I just assumed it's because he is almost 11 years old and a tall lab. I also have him on Dasuquin supplements because I thought this was the beginning of arthritis and my vet said good things about these supplements.

I never even thought it was related to the Cushings or medication but now I am intrigued....

For my Cushpup, the tremoring was focused across his shoulder blades and was most obvious when he was laying down, at rest. The tremors kind of came in waves and he really did look like a human does when shivering in the cold. Unfortunately, I can't really tell you specifics about other dogs. My Lab boy did suffer from the hind end muscle wasting commonly associated with Cushing's, and I would think that could also cause some leg tremoring for some dogs. That wasn't the case for my boy, but it's not hard for me to imagine it could play a part in Jet's shakes.

Marianne

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    For my Cushpup, the tremoring was focused across his shoulder blades and was most obvious when he was laying down, at rest. The tremors kind of came in waves and he really did look like a human does when shivering in the cold. Unfortunately, I can't really tell you specifics about other dogs. My Lab boy did suffer from the hind end muscle wasting commonly associated with Cushing's, and I would think that could also cause some leg tremoring for some dogs. That wasn't the case for my boy, but it's not hard for me to imagine it could play a part in Jet's shakes.

Marianne
    Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenner1026 View Post
    Thank you!!!
    Irma’s was just in her throat/neck area and it appears it was nothing to do with her medication.More likely a little nerves or anxiety issue.Her vet said to watch for full body tremors in regards to Addisons crisis.We still watch her like a hawk though and she’s never left alone for long periods of time.

Irma update… She went 16 days straight on 10mg and had her ACTH and lab work done Tuesday. Levels are unchanged and basically the same as her first test. Her blood work and general health are very good and her vet as well as her family are very happy. With that being said she has been put back on a 60 mg dose of Vetoryl once daily in the morning and will go for 2 weeks and have another levels check. While on the 10 mg dose there was very little change in the main symptoms water intake,peeing etc but we have noticed improvement in her wanting to engage with her family and the fog of feeling like crap lifting.She does have the pituitary dependent form of Cushings as well if I failed to mention that before. A little info for families that might be taking their pup for the test after you get to pick them up they will have an increase in Cushings symptoms (drinking water,peeing, general restlessness and some rear end weakness)for at least a day which is normal. Fingers crossed on this return to 60 mg but we are all encouraged! Hope this helps.

I’m so glad she hasn’t suffered any ill effects thus far. That’s quite a leap from 10 mg. clear back up to 60 mg., though. When you say her test results were the same as before, do you mean the same as before she started any treatment at all? Can you tell us the actual numerical results for both those tests? That’ll help give us a frame of reference for the effect of the medication.

I’m realizing we never asked you how much Irma weighs, nor had the chance to talk about the fact that ongoing clinical experience has suggested that large dogs may be more sensitive to the effects of trilostane than are smaller dogs, thus requiring a smaller dose per pound of body weight. I know you’ve spoken with Dechra and also had originally planned to put her on 60 mg. after the decrease from 120. I do understand why you’re now wanting to increase her dose, and if Dechra is on board with the 60 mg., I probably shouldn’t be worrying. But still, being the Nervous Nellie that I am, I’d feel better knowing the actual numbers for her ACTH tests.

Marianne

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    I’m so glad she hasn’t suffered any ill effects thus far. That’s quite a leap from 10 mg. clear back up to 60 mg., though. When you say her test results were the same as before, do you mean the same as before she started any treatment at all? Can you tell us the actual numerical results for both those tests? That’ll help give us a frame of reference for the effect of the medication.

I’m realizing we never asked you how much Irma weighs, nor had the chance to talk about the fact that ongoing clinical experience has suggested that large dogs may be more sensitive to the effects of trilostane than are smaller dogs, thus requiring a smaller dose per pound of body weight. I know you’ve spoken with Dechra and also had originally planned to put her on 60 mg. after the decrease from 120. I do understand why you’re now wanting to increase her dose, and if Dechra is on board with the 60 mg., I probably shouldn’t be worrying. But still, being the Nervous Nellie that I am, I’d feel better knowing the actual numbers for her ACTH tests.

Marianne
    . Irma is 72 lbs. I don’t have the lab work print out will try and get a copy tomorrow it took about 24 hrs to get results back. I do know that Dechra was given copies of initial labs and recent and after confirming with her vet they felt she would be fine to go to 60. The shivering that she experienced on 120 and then 60 mg she did have an episode while taking the 10 and we did not give her pred or a shit of dex and monitored her closely and the episode subsided in just a few minutes and she never showed any serious or scary episodes since. Luckily my mother is a retired surgical vet tech and has been watching her like a hawk. The more I research and listen to my mothers experience plus Irma’s current vet the full body tremors are what we really need to be watching for.Irma gets her dose in the morning and isn’t left alone at all for more than a few minutes at the most and it appears that adverse side effects tend to show themselves within those first few hours. But we have pred on hand and she can be at her vet in less than 10 minutes. Thanks again