Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Suni

Default Re: Suni

Shelba, no problem at all about the “edit” ;-). And I’m glad to hear that you’re seeing even a little bit of improvement with Suni — let’s hope it continues!!

As far as little Mandi, here’s a link to a thread here where a few feeding suggestions have been given when dogs are reluctant to eat:

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...etence-in-dogs

Has Mandi always been a picky eater, or is this a new development? I’m afraid I don’t personally have any great suggestions, because my three Labs generally had hearty appetites. Ever since Christmas, though, Luna has had episodes of inappetence, probably associated with some sort of chronic GI upset. Right now she’s doing good, though, thank goodness. At the moment, I’m warming up some ground turkey crumbles in a little water to add to her kibble. It kind of turns it into a warm bowl of stew, and she really seems to like that. On that thread I gave you, a couple other people also mention that warming the food seems to help perk up appetites. Anyway, do take a look at that thread and see if any other suggestions make sense to you. And good luck!!

I sure will Marianne, and thank you. She has been a picky eater since I got her at 8 weeks old. She will be a year old this coming Friday and I have tried several good dog foods, both kibble and wet. Some she will eat a time or two and that's it. Others she just turns her nose up at. The only kibble she tolerates at all is Suni's weight management Fromms. Geez!! A puppy doesn't need that! I add boiled chicken to it just to make me feel better!! Very frustrating. Never had a picky eater before so it's a learning experience for me.

First thing first... you guys are AWESOME!
    - I know there are many lurkers/readers who feel the same, and yet havent spoke up, like myself.
    (shame on me, for not letting you know I appreciated you, in the midst of my frantic searching for answers!!)
    In Loving Memory - Gigi (2006-2018)
    - Had a great quality of life as a "Cushings Dog"
    - And passed non Cushings related...

Quote Originally Posted by sunimist View Post
    I agree, and thank y'all for giving me a guiding hand. I was hoping for an immediate change, but I should have known better. Patience is not my virtue.
    I have been trying to re-educate myself on cushings, but my mind keeps having out of body experiences!!! Love ya!
    Thats the trick, focusing on the day to day, but look back at the week (for example) as a gage.
    Meaning, you know the daily routine, and it might just take a little while to see changes in the patters.

(hope that made sense)
    In Loving Memory - Gigi (2006-2018)
    - Had a great quality of life as a "Cushings Dog"
    - And passed non Cushings related...

Hi Shelba!

Just wanted to let you know that I have been following your thread about sweet Suni and with the excellent advice you've been getting I don't have anything to add.

My Jax isn't what I say a picky eater, he does eat his food eventually, I've tried several different brands but nothing really arks his appetite except for the cat's food grrrr!!!

Hugs, Lori

Hi Lori! Great to hear from you!! Glad to see there is hope for my sweet picky eater! The struggle is real.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hey again,
    Glad to see there is some improvement!!! It will take a bit of time and the improvement will be gradual.
    Since you mentioned Mandi has always been a picky eater, well I have one too and have 3 types of dry food along with 2 wet and give her a few kibbles in the dish at a time and a scoop of wet to see which one she wants. I do very little at a time (in the past I have to waste so much food until I started doing this). I do find some chicken broth can help. There have been times I just leave the kibble in the dish (plain) and after a long while she will eat it. Cailey Bear has always been uninterested in food since we found her so no health issues; just not a big eater.
    Keep us posted!
    T.

Hi Terry! Happy Thursday! I ended up having to take Mandi to the vet today. She stopped eating completely and just wasn't up to par this morning. I tried everything to get her interested in just a bite or two of something...anything, and she wasn't having it. My gut told me something was wrong, so I kinda begged the vet to take her today knowing they were completely booked, and they felt sorry for me, I guess. Anyhow, did x-rays of her abdomen and blood work. Nothing outstanding revealed, but her temp spiked at 104 while we were there. The Doc gave her a steroid shot with antibiotics and nausea meds to give a few days. She said it was some kind of infection but wasn't
    showing up. What??? She is home, ate some chicken and rice with gusto, babying her sore hip from shot and getting lots of TLC right now from her daddy.

Terry, sounds like a good idea you have feeding your picky eater. I will have to give your scenario a try.

A noodling thought....A question for you guys unrelated to cushings, can allergies cause those symptoms described above?

Meanwhile, back at girls camp, my little cushings acting girl is doing great and seems to be feeling better. That makes me smile. We gonna make it somehow!!! She is due a dental in another month, so we need to hurry!
    Last edited by sunimist; 06-10-2021 at 06:07 PM.

As far as I know allergies wouldn't cause what you were seeing in Suni....but I could be wrong. LOL

How is Suni feeling today?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

So far, both girls are good right now. We just take it one day at a time. Still hoping Suni's cushings symptoms subside. She does seem to be doing better.