Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suni

Default Re: Suni

As she comes off of the steroids those signs should start to go away IF this is only Iatrogenic. Right now the steroids are causing the signs, not because the adrenals are over-producing cortisol. So hopefully you will see those signs disappear the longer she is off of the steroids. I would give her at least a month before testing UNLESS the signs start to get stronger instead of lessening. And yes, if those signs go away and don't come back then she was dealing with Iatrogenic only and not naturally occurring Cushing's....which is what we all are hoping for!

You're not dumb....just rusty. All of this will come back and you'll be an old pro again in no time!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hey Shelba, just stopping by to see how things are going for you and Miss Suni — hopefully well!! Also, I love seeing your photos of Suni and Mandi. What a pair of sweeties ! Thanks for sharing .

Marianne

Sadly, so far, I can't tell much difference. Seems she is drinking a little less, but appetite is still humungous! Still hasn't lost any weight. How long does it take for definite noticeable changes provided we are on the right track? No change in the eye.

Thanks for asking. Hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday.

Hi Shelba. I would hope that you’d start seeing some improvements sooner rather than later, but as Leslie suggested, I think I’d wait for at least a month before I started trying to draw any big conclusions. So I’ll continue to keep my fingers crossed for both you girls.

Best wishes as always, Marianne

I agree, and thank y'all for giving me a guiding hand. I was hoping for an immediate change, but I should have known better. Patience is not my virtue.
    I have been trying to re-educate myself on cushings, but my mind keeps having out of body experiences!!! Love ya!

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hey Shelba and sweetie pie Suni!
    I too would look hard at the eye drops --- and the long term use of this steroid based product.
    Without any test numbers for Cushings and you mentioned her organs look fine I would talk to my vet about this.
    Hang in there girl!
    Terry

Hey Terry! Thanks!!

Will try and put her February 2021 lab values in prospective....

Glu 147 (70-143)
    ALKP 2000 We have had a high reading starting in 2014 here for a few years with several ultrasounds and nothing to contribute it to except trouble with her gallbladder. Takes Ursodiol for GB.
    Baso 0.14 (0.00-0.10)
    PCT 54 (0.14-0.46)
    LYM 0.87 ((1.05-5.10)
    She was prescribed POLY/NEO/Dex drops for her cherry eye when the surgery failed.
    Everything else was in the normal range.

Thought this might help.
    Last edited by sunimist; 06-01-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Hi again, Shelba. Thanks for posting those values. I’m afraid I don’t know enough about blood counts to judge whether the variations in basophils and lymphocytes are enough to be of any significance, and I’m totally unfamiliar with PCT (although it sounds as though it can be some sort of infection marker). Dogs with Cushing’s do often exhibit irregularities in certain white blood counts that are collectively labeled as a “stress leukogram.” This involves high counts of neutrophils and low counts of lymphocytes and eosinophils. Cushpups also often have elevations in platelet and cholesterol counts. It does look as though Suni’s lymphocytes were a bit low in February. But I don’t know that they’re significantly low, and she didn’t have any of those other common blood count abnormalities.

So we’re left with her elevated ALKP, which definitely is typically found with Cushing’s. However, other conditions can elevate ALKP, apparently including gallbladder issues. So I don’t think her February labwork was screaming out Cushing’s in terms of a diagnosis. But it is still very helpful for us to know how things stood at that time, and as a basis for future comparison.

Marianne
    Last edited by sunimist; 06-04-2021 at 09:25 PM.

It's complicated, but I do see a bit of improvement. She has lost a few ounces, her peeing has slowed down, water intake near normal. Those are huge to me! I may be getting ahead of myself, but I feel a little optimistic now. Her appetite is still over the top though. Wish my Mandi had an appetite like hers. Don't know how I am going to get my little picky girl to eat. Any hints?

Marianne, I hit edit on your post by accident. Sorry.