Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New here, 11 year old sweet JRT mix just diagnosed with CushingÂ’s

Default Re: New here, 11 year old sweet JRT mix just diagnosed with CushingÂ’s

Hi there, we took Mia for her check up and blood work today. She seems to be doing well on Vetoryl (day 21 now, more energy, less water intake) but still awful Cc eruptions and other skin infection. He prescribed more antibiotics and said still not to bathe her but to rub coconut oil on her skin, over the crusty scabs/infected areas (which are mostly drier now, but some parts still ooze pus and sometimes get bloody). He was pretty insistent that coconut oil would be helpful, but we’re a bit skeptical. Wondering if anyone has tried that on bad CC? Thank you.

Hello again! I’ve just now heard back from Glynda, our Administrator who is also active on the CC Facebook group. Here are some suggestions that she wanted to pass on to you. In the event you still encounter problems with having Vetoryl shipped from the U.S., she first leads off with a possible compounding medication contact there in Africa. Her subsequent message relates to the CC. Like Laura, she's also seen the recommendation to use activated charcoal.

[Our new member] can try contacting the Pharmacy Council in Tanzania to see if they can help her find a compounding pharmacy than can compound 10 mg trilostane or repackage 30 mg Vetoryl into 10 mg capsules. Link to that regulatory agency is https://www.pc.go.tz/

With respect to the CC, the two treatments that seem to work best for cc dogs is DMSO which is a long standing treatment but a lot of folks see good results with activated charcoal that you make into a paste, apply and let sit for awhile then rinse off. A member shared a video on how she applies the paste and rinses it off. She uses her hand to gently rub the paste off and the dead skin/scabs wash away. She did this for two months straight and it worked great for her dog. If her dog is itchy or he smells bad, he likely has a secondary bacterial/yeast infection and the vet should prescribe an antibiotic and an antimicrobial shampoo. Hopefully the vet has those. Amazon is global and if they ship to East Africa, she can order the activated charcoal and an antimicrobial shampoo. She or her vet should shave all of the hair on and around the affected parts of his body to keep it as clean and dry as possible. If the dog is rolling around on the floor to try to scratch the itch, she should consider putting a little t-shirt on him.
    I remain surprised that your vet continues to advise against bathing, especially if surface skin infection is expected. There are several good quality medicated shampoos that folks have recommended here over the years for skin issues. From my personal experience, I found that Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo worked very well to heal a recurrent skin staph infection on my nonCushing’s Lab girl when oral antibiotics failed to provide a permanent cure. I ordered it from Chewy, but here it is on Amazon, along with other related products such as spray and wipes. If your vet remains adamant against full body bathing, directly cleansing the lesions themselves with chlorhexidine spray or wipes may be an option for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Sogeval-Douxo...98&sr=8-5&th=1

Anyway, we’re surely hoping you’ll soon be seeing some improvement, no matter what route you go.
    Marianne

Thank you, Marianne! We’ve ordered one of the shampoos (and wipes) and hope that our vet will agree it’s ok to bathe her by the time it arrives. Don’t quite understand why he’s so against it and keeps insisting on coconut oil instead (which I’ve not read anywhere as something that helps CC). So hard to know how best to keep little Mia comfortable. Thank you.

A lot of people in the CC facebook group do use coconut oil, but they use it in conjunction with the charcoal or DSMO and shampoo. Once the sores/lesions have started to dry out they will massage in the coconut oil. Trizchlor shampoo is another shampoo that is commonly used. But I have never seen coconut oil have much of an effect on CC when it is used alone.

Thank you, Laura. That makes sense, using coconut oil in conjunction with other stuff.

If you don't mind ..What is CushingÂ’s???

bichons9, When you see Cushing's with the capital A and weird markings it has something to do with texting on a phone I think. It is not a separate form of Cushing's. It's some sort of typo or autocorrect or somesuch.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks Squirt's mom. I never understood myself why my messages came out like that with the A at the end of Cushing's.
    So, it's been over 30 days and we are so pleased/relieved to report that little Mia is doing pretty well on 15 mg of Vetoryl: more energy, reduced water intake and urination (to almost "normal" levels) and her CC even seems to be stabilizing (she still has the lesions/scabs, etc all over her body, but they seem to be less itchy/drier with fewer "eruptions" and even a bit of nice pink skin showing underneath and a bit of fur regrowing). While the clinical signs seem to indicate improvement, we don't have any clear signs in the bloodwork. As you may recall, since we are in a developing country with no labs, all the blood work has to go out for testing; yesterday we got blood tests back from a few weeks ago (from Day 20 on Vetoryl). Unfortunately, they misplaced a vial and didn't do the cortisol test (!) so we only got back the CBC panels and a few others, which seemed inconclusive. My concern/question is regarding her liver enzymes, which were already sky high (when the vet last did blood test March 23, pre-Vetoryl) and seemed to have inched up a bit more (ALKP 2460 and GGT 137, and less so S-ALT 135). The vet was not able to clarify if there are any implications and told us to just keep doing what we're doing (Vetoryl 15 mg) and give her some supplements to support her liver. Does anyone here have a sense of whether this is something we should be worried about/watch out for? As always, grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

Wow, that’s great news about the improvement in Mia’s symptoms, and especially the CC! Hooray!!!!

That’s indeed so frustrating that they lost the cortisol tube, but it sounds as though you guys are on the right track at the moment in terms of dosing. I’d keep up the status quo as your vet is recommending, including the liver supplements. I think the increase in liver enzymes was not surprising since Mia’s cortisol had remained uncontrolled during at least part of the interim time period between blood draws. We are really used to seeing super high ALP levels in our dogs, as well as more moderate increases in other liver enzymes. With continued treatment, hopefully they’ll cycle downward again but they may never return to totally normal range in a Cushpup. Although this is a reflection of the physiological effect of the elevated cortisol, typically this doesn’t mean that the liver is actually impaired to the extent of presenting functional problems.

So all in all, I think this is an excellent report — fingers crossed that it continues!
    Marianne

Thank you, Marianne! We are so grateful that sweet Mia is doing better and are keeping fingers crossed that she continues along this path. Your message is very reassuring about the liver enzymes - I won’t worry about it anymore then! While it’d be helpful to have accurate/real time blood results and real monitoring capacity, we will take what we can get. And I’m so glad to have you and others on this forum for support and for all the helpful information!