Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Border Terrier with Cushings had a possible stroke or brain tumor?-Ollie has passed

Default Re: Border Terrier with Cushings Disease had a possible stroke, or maybe a brain tumo

Crying definitely helps. I lost my Lena five years ago and still cry. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about her, see something that reminds me of her, and talk to her...sometimes out loud if I'm not careful. It's very hard when they are sick and we see the signs. I'm noticing that my big guy Gable is having more trouble standing and getting up, his back legs are getting weaker. He's so sweet and good natured and I hate to see him struggling.

I don't know what I would've done without this forum and all of my friends here...we're a family.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Default Re: Border Terrier with Cushings Disease had a possible stroke, or maybe a brain tumo

Awwwww, giant hugs from me, too!! Please come back to us any time to talk. That’s the only thing that’s kept me sane through the illnesses and losses of my furbabies, too — the love and support of our little family here. Everybody here understands how hard this all can be.

Also, don’t worry at all about using the terms Vetoryl and trilostane. Trilostane is the name of the active chemical ingredient in brandname Vetoryl. So they’re actually the same medication, regardless of which name you’re using. I often interchange the two words when I’m typing my own replies. So that’s my bad, too.

No matter what is truly going on with Ollie, I send you my hope that you’ll indeed be able to smother him with love and also settle your own heart and mind as much as possible. That’s a goal that’s still quite a long reach for me. I always get so worried and scared and anxious when there’s anything wrong. I end up worrying away the chance for peaceful moments spent together when those moments are the most important. So I wish peace and comfort for you both in the days ahead. And I hope you’ll still have many good days to share together.

Marianne

Ollie had a pretty great week, hardly any symptoms, eating well and even playing! The vet agreed that she thought from what I was describing that he most likely has a brain tumor as all of his other tests came back fine for Cushings/UTIs etc. Without an MRI I'll never know for certain, but I also don't want to risk putting him under for something I can't do anything about. I think last night he started having mild seizures again and this morning he couldn't stand up because his hind legs were so weak. He could walk once we helped him stand but is fragile, almost teetering. He's gotten a little stronger through the day, but I imagine we may have days and not weeks left. I'm glad he lived a full life right up until this time and maintained his youthfulness so long. I'm glad I was able to get so much information on here about pituitary tumors because I feel a lot more at peace knowing what is going on. The vet pretty much confirmed everything I'd seen on here - she also said that steroids probably wouldn't help at this point because he'd had such an adverse reaction to them a few weeks ago. So, it's just going to be a waiting game now to keep him as comfortable as possible. I'm glad my son can make it down to say goodbye tomorrow, though I imagine that won't be easy for any of us.

Thanks again to everyone on here for the support and kindness. It has been so appreciated during such a difficult time! Michele

Tons of loving hugs being sent your way.

Oh Michele, we’ll be holding Ollie and all your family in our hearts during the coming days. I’m so glad you’ve had that special week together — it’ll be a time to treasure in your memory forever. I send you continuing hugs, too. Just remember we’re always here, walking right alongside you. And all our Cush-angels will be lined up to greet Ollie at the moment he passes, whenever that may turn out to be. He will never be alone, either.

Do take care, and please give Ollie a giant loving hug from us all, too. He is such a good, dear boy. Forever.
    Marianne

Hugs from me, too...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Dear Michele,

It is so hard to be where you are knowing what is coming. But your love for Ollie will give you the strength to be by his side all the way. Fill these days with as much joy as you can for the both of you. When I knew my beloved Squirt's time was near I spent hours talking to her about all the places we had been, all the friends we had made; we went to see the people she loved most like my brother and took short trips to nearby places she had always enjoyed. I fed her all the things she most loved to eat and denied her nothing. I talked to her about what was to come, that she was going to see her Sissy and my dad, and the pets she had grown up with; and that one day I would join them. Just holding her and looking into her eyes filled us both with peace. She knew as well as I that soon we wouldn't be able to do these things or talk about these things. Those were difficult days yet days I wouldn't change for much of anything. You know what means the most to you and Ollie and you know how to fill these remaining days with the things that you both treasure.

Know you are not alone. We are here if you need to talk, cry, anything.
    Hugs and belly rubs,
    Leslie

Instructions To a Guardian Angel of Dogs

Hello. I’ve been expecting you for quite some time.
    Here, come sit beside us for awhile
    and let me tell you about this old friend of mine.

He might look tattered or maybe old
    But I won’t say goodbye until you’ve been told.

He had the brightest eyes I had ever seen,
    And wore a beautiful fur coat that would out shine a king.
    He was never prissy but walked with an aire ……
    And oh so polite, you could take him most anywhere.

He could run like the wind and could catch anything he chased
    But he protected and sat with me when I had problems to face.
    You could not find a friend nearly so dear
    Because no matter the trouble he always stayed near.

He has never asked for much from me
    Just to love and respect him and I think you’ll agree
    To give him a good meal plus a nice warm bed is not much to ask
    When he has given me all his love and to him this was no task.

Now I understand you have a schedule to keep
    But I have a small favor before he nods off to sleep.
    Please fold your wings around him and let him feel young while in no pain.

Dear Guardian Angel of Pets,
    please keep him safe and happy until I see him again.

By Ginger Patton
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Ollie passed peacefully at home on Friday surrounded by family. It was by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do. He was my shadow and it felt like I was losing a part of myself. But, his condition was deteriorating to the point where I was risking him being in terrible pain, so I had to let him go. We were so lucky to find someone to come to our home and then find a place where they let us take him ourselves and wait for his ashes so he was never alone. It was one of the oldest pet cemeteries in the country I think - filled with an array of pets since 1896. I found it very peaceful there - the owners were so caring and treated Ollie so well.

Thank you all for your compassion these past few weeks. It made this heartbreaking experience so much more bearable. Finding this forum was a real lifesaver. Love to all of you and the pups in your lives dealing with this difficult disease.

Michele

Awww, Michele, I'm so sorry. Ollie was a lucky baby to have you as his mom. What is the name of that pet cemetery? It does sound very peaceful...I wish that my Lena hadn't died alone in the Emergency Clinic. It is one of my biggest regrets, not being with her when she left me. I don't know what I would've done without my family on this forum...

Many, many hugs to you and your family during this heartbreaking time.

Love,
    Joan

Dear Michele,

I am so sorry to hear Ollie's day came so soon. But I know he is grateful to you for all the loving care you gave him over the years and for this final gift. And I have no doubt that he left this life on the wings of the love the two of you shared.

My deepest sympathies,
    Leslie

WHEN TOMORROW STARTS WITHOUT ME

When tomorrow starts without me
    And I’m not here to see
    If the sun should rise and find your eyes
    All filled with tears for me

I wish you wouldn’t cry
    The Way you did today
    While thinking of the many things
    We did not get to say

I know how much you love me
    As much as I love you
    Each time that you think of me
    I know you will miss me too

When tomorrow starts with out me
    Please try to understand
    That an angel came and called my name
    And took me by the hand

The angel said my place was ready
    In heaven far above
    And That I would have to leave behind
    All those I Dearly Love

But When I walked through Heaven’s Gates
    I felt so much at home
    When God looked down and smiled at me
    From his golden throne

He said This Is Eternity
    And All I promised you
    Today for life on earth is done
    But Here it starts a new

I promise no tomorrow
    For today will always last
    And Since each day’s the exact same way
    There is no longing for the past

So When Tomorrow starts without me
    Do not think we’re apart
    For every time you think of me
    Remember I’m right here in your heart

Author: David M Romano
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.