Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vetoryl no longer working

Default Re: Vetoryl no longer working

Continuing
    128+ oz/day.
    Questions
    1 Increasing Vetoryl to 80mg/day. Should we not be seeing some improvement
    2 Ordered drops for Diabetes insipidus. Any knowledge or comments?

Cate's overall health is good. No vomiting, no loss of appetite, no diarrhea, some hair loss and panting.

Is the Vetoryl being given with a full meal? This is a fat soluble drug that must be given with a meal to be absorbed and used by the body.

Having said that, there are some dogs that simply do not respond to Vetoryl and some that don't respond to Lysodren. These pups eventually need to switch to the other drug if at all possible (Lyso is not available in all parts of the world).

But I would wait until I tried the DI meds first and see how that works for her. If Cate improves then you have the diagnosis and know why she's continued to drink so much...tho excess urination usually goes along with DI. However....our babies don't usually read the rule book and the few that do seem to think it's poppy cock.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I endorse everything Leslie has written above. Have you yet had an ACTH stimulation test run, though? If not, I’m really getting worried about your continued Vetoryl increases, especially in such a short time frame. I think you’ve truly reached the point where it’s no longer safe to keep increasing without having a more complete picture of Cate’s adrenal function and cortisol reserves.

Additionally, I would hold off on any more increases until after you’ve tried the DI drops. If you try both simultaneously, you won’t know whether any improvement is due to the increase or the drops. You’d really be muddying the water. So for both safety and also the benefit of more clearly judging the effect of the drops, I’d hold off on any more creases for now.

Marianne

Yes Cate gets the Vetoryl with her meals. Morning meal and 12 hours later with supper meal.
    Got the drops today for Diabetes Insipidus. Nervous. But with her increase of water (16more oz) for a 24hr total of 128 oz in the last week I think it is worth a try. Any considerations???

I sure wish I had some first-hand experience with the D.I. drops, but I don’t. I think it’s pretty straightforward, though — either they help or they don’t. I sure hope they do help because that would solve the puzzle. Since the repeated Vetoryl increases aren’t having any effect, I’m really questioning whether elevated cortisol is the driver of the thirst. For safety’s sake, that’s another reason why I’d hold off on any more increases for the time being.

Definitely let us know how things go, OK?
    Marianne

update on cate
    2/2/2021 prevetoryl 3.5
    2/24/21 increased vetoryl to 80mg
    3/3/21 increased vetoryl to 90m
    3/9/21 prevetoryl test 2.6 (range 1.3 to 2.9) yes in range!!!
    3/13/21 water intake down to 112oz (been at 156oz) vomited think maybe food.
    still good appetite, catching frisbees and good poops
    3/15/2021 water intake 88oz
    of course ran out of 5mg today
    will talk to vet today about another prevetoryl test
    we are getting close!!!
    note i emailed dechra and mandy called me that afternoon, we talked and she gave me a case number. she said she could call my vet but i said i would let the vet know that they could consult. my vet called them and talked to mandy and dr bradford a vet.
    my vet said it really helped discussing cates case with them. her practice is small and she is not treating any other cushing dogs at this time. mostly because of cost prohibitive.
    another note no caps because i broke my wrist on saturday. sheesh it is always something!!

I highly recommend getting a full ACTH stimulation test performed before any more Vetoryl dose increases are made. The pre-pill cortisol method is most useful in patients whose Cushing's has been successfully controlled and that are undergoing 6-month monitoring. Since Cate's symptoms are not being controlled on the dose she is on, I believe, it's time that an cortisol assay is done so that her actual cortisol level is known.

Have you tried the DI drops?

Sorry to hear that you broke your wrist, OUCH! Hope it heals fast!!

Hugs, Lori

Drinking excessive amounts of water can also be an unrelated, self-soothing idiopathic response to stress or discomfort. It can sometimes be habitual. I just realized I'm very late to the game here. Apologies and I hope it worked out.