Thread: Is there no way until my dog to get Cushing?

Default Is there no way until my dog to get Cushing?

My dog is an eight-year-old Maltese.
    During the regular health check-up, the alt level was diagnosed with 400 and the adrenal size was 5.3mm.
    The doctor said that if the size of the adrenal glands exceeds 6mm, there is a high possibility of cushing, but there is no way to stop the spleen.
    It is true?
    Is there really no way to slow down any nutritional supplements?
    Curcumin omega-3 milk thistle vitamins and any other nutritional supplements may help.

Default Re: Is there no way until my dog to get Cushing?

Hello and welcome to you and your dog! I’m guessing you are writing to us from outside the United States, and that you are wondering if there are nutritional supplements that can be given to a dog with Cushing’s in order to stop the disease from getting worse. If a dog truly has Cushing’s, prescription medicines are the only things that have been scientifically proven to lower the cortisol level that causes the symptoms and progression of the disease. Supplements may help ease things a bit, but they don’t have the power to lower the cortisol level enough to treat the disease effectively over time.

However, it seems as though we don’t yet know for sure that your dog even has Cushing’s. It’s true that the adrenal glands of Cushpups are usually abnormally enlarged, and that liver readings on lab tests are elevated. But it’s usually the ALP that is most highly elevated, and not the ALT alone. Also, other illnesses besides Cushing’s can create enough stress to on the body to produce adrenal changes. So my first question would be, does your dog have any outward symptoms of Cushing’s such as excessive thirst, urination and hunger; hair loss on his haunches or sides; pot belly; excessive panting; loss of strength in his hind end; seeking out cool places; exercise intolerance, etc.? if the answer is yes, that makes Cushing’s a more likely possibility. If the answer is no, then the disease is less likely.

If you can tell us more about any health problems that your dog has had in the past, as well as any outward symptoms that you are seeing now, that will help us to give you better advice. And once again, welcome!

Marianne