Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My dog has had Cushings for over a year...high dosage...would love information!

Default Re: My dog has had Cushings for over a year...high dosage...would love information!

I will definitely go for a re-check in May (4 months).

Ok, got it....here are the results, hope it's ok to read:

1/6/21 STIM Test:

Zoasis - Cortisol Serial 2 ACTH
    Tube Labeled Pre
    Result Verified
    Tube Labeled Post
    Result Verified
    Cortisol Sample 1 HIGH1.0-5.0μg/dL Result Verified 6
    Cortisol Sample 2 8.0-17.0μg/dL Result Verified
    4.2 Result Verified
    THE TEST WAS RUN ON PRE AND POST SAMPLES AS LABELED BY THE HOSPITAL.
    HYPERADRENOCORTICISM (HAC): Post ACTH results greater than 20 ug/dL (dog) and greater than 15 ug/dL (cat) are consistent with HAC.

NOVEMBER 2020 BLOODWORK

Zoasis - Superchem, Complete Blood Count, Cortisol Serial 2 ACTH, Anion Gap, Bicarbonate, Total T4

Albumin - 4.5 (Range 2.7-4.4)
    **NOTE - Albumin may be falsely elevated due to a Hemolysis 3+, Lipemia 3+ and could be in
    the Normal Range.

Alk Phosphatase - 1188 HIGH (Range 5-131IU/L)
    **Really don't understand this one

Potassium - 5.7 HIGH (Range 3.6-5.5mEq/L)

Triglycerides - 668 HIGH (Range 29-291mg/dL)
    *This one is very high too

Eosinophils - 1 LOW (Range 2-10%)

Total T4 NORMAL 1.5 (Range 0.8-3.5mg/dL)
    *Thanks for having me specifically check for this one!

I know you all are not doctors, so I really appreciate you looking into this when you all have your own problems! I just was surprised nothing was mentioned to me on the really high callouts.

Best,
    Jennifer

Default Re: My dog has had Cushings for over a year...high dosage...would love information!

I found myself bringing my girl in, as I noticed times when "her meds were off."
    Meaning, sometimes I would go in within only a couple months, maybe shorter. And other times simply as recommended (every few)

The trade off would often be a lesser doseage, which would offset the price of the visit.
    (and sometimes vice-versa. Cushings was like a roller coaster for us, but it all balanced out. So it wasnt 'scary' as much as it was realizing/finding the changing, but overall balance, and accepting that there was one.)
    - I hope that made sense...!
    In Loving Memory - Gigi (2006-2018)
    - Had a great quality of life as a "Cushings Dog"
    - And passed non Cushings related...

I'm suppressing a little bit, as I am a good year or so removed from this being my "day to day thought."
    - But I remember that time/mindset, and thats why Im here.
    - Im here for support, to help. Im just a little slow sometimes.

I have kept every single document/test since Gigi was born, it just take me a little bit to go back over things, to get back into that frame of mind.
    In Loving Memory - Gigi (2006-2018)
    - Had a great quality of life as a "Cushings Dog"
    - And passed non Cushings related...

Thank you so much Jonathan for your kind words! I am sure you miss Gigi so much.

Hi again, guys. Jennifer, all of the lab abnormalities that you’ve noted are consistent with Cushing’s. I’m not paying any attention to the albumin since it was only a hair out out of range. But the other readings are ones that we typically see. Highly elevated Alk Phos is a hallmark. It is an enzyme that is associated with liver changes that are consistent with Cushing’s. This elevation does not typically herald damage to the actual functioning of the liver, and often reduces to some extent after cortisol comes under treatment control, but it may never totally return to a normal reading. We Cushparents just come to expect elevated ALKP readings on our Cushpups’ blood chemistry panels. High cholesterol or triglycerides, and low Eosinophils (type of white blood cell) are also commonly part of the Cushing’s profile. Lastly, Jet’s potassium is also only a hair out of range. That may be the result of the Vetoryl treatment. In addition to lowering cortisol, Vetoryl can also lower the level of another adrenal hormone, aldosterone. Aldosterone controls the balance of sodium and potassium in the body, and if aldosterone production is oversuppressed, potassium levels can climb abnormally high. This can be a serious situation, so that’s another reason why blood chemistries should be periodically monitored alongside cortisol levels in order to make sure that the potassium and sodium levels do not get too far out of “whack.”

So bottom line, Jet looks pretty much like a typical Cushpup in terms of these lab values, and hopefully you may see a return towards more normal levels as his treatment continues over time.

And Jonathan, again, it is so kind of you to take the time to share Gigi’s experiences with the rest of us. Your support is a genuine gift, and I believe that Gigi would be so proud of her dad. By helping others, you are honoring her memory and bravery, and you are blazing the trail forward for those who are following in Gigi’s paw prints. You’re doing good, and we’re grateful to have you here with us!

Marianne

Hi Jennifer,

I just wanted to quickly note that there are no side effects or prolonged use issues with Apoquel at all. I understand not wanting to drown your pet w/a ton of pills though. My dog is on Vetoryl and the only reason I don't have him on his Apoquel is because I can't afford it! Otherwise, that is one miracle drug I whole-heartedly believe in!

Thank you!

Talk to the vet about an allergy drug called CytoPoint. It is an injection and is not a steroid so it won't cause cush signs nor interfere with cush treatment. This drug was given to 2 of my babies and it was truly miraculous! Both needed less than 4 injections and their allergies never returned. Not all dogs have had this same reaction but it is not uncommon. So it would be worth having a conversation about it at least to see if it is affordable and if the vet recommends it for your sweet baby.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of spring!

Jet had his 4 month check up today with an ACTH Stim Test. Will report results as soon as I know them.

He also is having a Urine Test done again since the last one was inconclusive. Let's see how that comes back as well!

Best,
    Jennifer and Jet

Welcome back, Jennifer! So good to hear from you again, and we’re anxiously awaiting Jet’s test results right alongside you ;-). At this point, how is he doing in terms of symptom control?

Marianne