Thread: My Pepper

Default My Pepper

Hello all, I'm MikeD in Texas, I'm new here and wanted to ask a few questions. My Pepper was diagnosed adrenal cushing 2 weeks back and is currently on Vetoryl_30mg daily. She's gonna be 13 soon, is eating well, and is seemingly doing pretty good considering. Her belly swells at times and other times it's not__Comes and goes! She's drinking a lot of water but, less than she was. I'm waiting for her first test to come back, after starting treatment and will know more soon. The Vet said that I can put her back on her regular diet after having her on a liver diet<(different Vet) before being diagnosed at current vet. My original vet does not do testing and was guessing instead of giving me the correct information and treatment so, I moved on to a better vet!!! Kinna sad because they have been her Vet for 12 years and one would thing they'd be looking out for her best interests_NOT_$$$<that's about all. 1) Anyway, can anyone tell me where to get Vetoryl at the best price? I'm paying $52.00 a month for 30mg and was hoping someone may know where to get it for less? 2) How do I upload a picture to here_insert image says URL???<never seen that one before! 3) Any tips are welcomed_TYou for your input!

Default Re: My Pepper

Hello Mike, and welcome to you and Pepper! I have only a moment free to write this morning, but wanted to let you know that I’ve moved your thread from our Resources forum over here, to our main Questions and Discussion forum. This way, more of our members are likely to see your post and have the chance to reply ;-).

I’ll be back, myself, a bit later on. But I wanted to at least have the chance to quickly greet you both!
    Marianne

Hi Mike,

Welcome to you and Pepper!

To answer your questions about pics, I posted 2 links below that are found in our How To and Comments section found in the Index. I hope they provide the info you are looking for.

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...ure-to-my-post

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...e-next-to-name

Now about Pepper....can you tell us how much she weighs? Too often we have seen starting doses way to high so we like to verify the dog is off to a good start with the best starting dose...which for dogs under 60lbs is 1mg/lb for most pups, tho some will do better on a lower dose. I am VERY glad you found a vet better versed in Cushing's....one who is guessing and doesn't test is deadly to our cush pups so great move, Dad! When you get those test results, it would help us a great deal if you would share the results with us here. Did the vet do an ACTH or the newer test called the PVC?

Can you tell us what tests were done to diagnose the Cushing's in the first place and what prompted that testing? Were you seeing signs, if so what were you seeing? Also, does Pepper have any other health issues and is she on any other medications?

As for the best cost for Vetoryl....that seems to change so your best bet is to simply google online pharmacies and check their pricing. Some folk have had good luck using Costco too. Buying direct from the vet is rarely the most economical. The vet will have to provide a prescription to get it elsewhere and not all are willing to do that so check with her vet to make sure they are willing to help you do this.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to hearing more about your sweet girl soon!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi again, Mike! I’m sorry for the delay in getting back here, but thankfully Leslie has fully covered all the bases in the meantime ;-). As she says, it’ll be great if you can fill us in with more specifics about Pepper’s history and diagnosis, and then we can all go from there.

Marianne

Hi Mike,

On another Cushing's group I work with someone mentioned Walmart Pet RX as having good pricing for Vetoryl so check them out!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.