Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skylar - loving ten year old rescue (Skylar has now passed)

Default Re: Skylar - loving ten year old rescue

Hi!

Wanted to provide an update here. Skylar has been on his 15mg a day dose (10mg in the AM / 5 mg in the evening) for about 5 weeks. We just ran a fresh stim test yesterday, i'll update here later today when we have the results.

If he still is in the 6-7 range, we are going to try to increase to 15mg AM and 10mg in PM to see if that helps with the excessive thirst/urination we're still seeing. I feel comfortable with this, but would love thoughts! Glad we didnt do it at 2 weeks post dosage.

Update on his eye - he still has a corneal ulcer, we finally say an ophthalmologist. He's having a small procedure to remove some mineral deposits on his eye that's preventing it from healing! She thinks he's closer to 14 than 10 years old..... having this next Wednesday, and hope it will clear up his chronic eye! And he can live his life without a cone on again

Won't be increasing his Vetoryl dosage until post recovery, as he'll be given a sedative and likely pain meds for the procedure.

test results this afternoon!
    Lindsay and Skylar

I hope Skylar's procedure goes well tomorrow and the eye will heal with this behind him. I know he will be so very glad to be cone free!

I agree completely with waiting until after this procedure and plenty of recovery time before increasing the dose. In fact, I would want another ACTH before the increase just in case it has been the stress from the eye situation that has been keeping his cortisol a bit higher than optimal. Once his eye is healed and the cone is gone it is feasible that his cortisol will drop a bit just from those things no longer being an issue for him. So watch his signs as well as checking the numbers. Of course if you start seeing the cush signs coming back pretty strong after his eye has healed that is a fair indication the cortisol is rising due to Cushing's and not stress.

Please let us know about his test results and certainly how Skylar's procedure on his eye goes.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Leslie-

Thank you so much for the feedback!

His procedure is a week from today, I wish it was today! We had to get off a steroid eye drop for some time first so he wouldn't be pre-disposed to infection at time of procedure. I will update as to how it goes for sure.

His latest stim was 7.4, and my vet said the same thing - that the stress & introduction of a myriad of meds for the eye are likely making an impact here for now.

Will overcome this eye hurdle, and then re-assess clinical signs and maybe even do another ACTH before the increase.

Lindsay

How did Skylar's vet visit and procedure go?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

thanks for checking!! We are both so relieved the procedure is over with, but he was a champ. In a cone for 2-3 weeks until our check up and hopefully all clear. His eye seems to be healing well, his eyesight is already much improved. Looking forward to putting this chapter behind us and then seeing how his Cushing's symptoms are

This is great news! Thanks so much for the update :-).

Marianne

Oh good news! I hope he is fully healed very soon and up to antics in no time!
    Hugs,
    Leslie

Hi friends
    I wanted to post an update that my loving Skylar went over the rainbow bridge on September 29th. A few days before he woke up paralyzed on one side, from a suspected stroke.... his heart condition made everyone concerned about the risk of anesthesia and MRIs, so we hoped to see some improvement with NSAIDS and pain management but he was really suffering.

I miss him so much, but know I got to give him a fantastic last chapter of his life. I am so grateful to have found this blog and become an informed advocate for him through his cushing's diagnosis.

<3

Lindsay
    in loving memory of Skylar

Default Re: Skylar - loving ten year old rescue (Skylar has now passed)

Dear Lindsay,

I am so sorry for your loss, but so grateful that you’ve come back to let us know. What a gift you gave little Skylar by taking him in during his final days, and I know he fully returned that gift with his sweet love. I so wish that you two could have had yet more time together, but his body needed the same peace that you had already given to his heart and spirit. Although all our time together was short, we’re so glad that you’ve shared Skylar with us, and you’ll both always remain a part of our family here. Skylar has now joined our other Rainbow Bridge babies on our special memorial thread of honor:

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...Left-Us-(2020)

If you should ever wish to have a photo link added to his name there, you can email a picture at any time to k9cushing@gmail.com. We’ll take care of everything from there.

In the meantime, do take good care of yourself. We’ll welcome you back at any time should you wish to share more stories about Skylar, or to let us know how you’re doing. Once again, I’m so sorry for your loss and I send you my best wishes always.

Forever in loving memory of your sweet little boy,
    Marianne

Default Re: Skylar - loving ten year old rescue (Skylar has now passed)

Gosh, I'm so sorry, Lindsay...he sounded like a sweet little boy
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.