Thread: Skylar - loving ten year old rescue (Skylar has now passed)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Skylar - loving ten year old rescue (Skylar has now passed)

Hi new forum friends!

I am a relatively new Cushing's dog mom - I rescued an ~10 year old 16lb yorkie 9 weeks ago. When I got him, he'd been picked up from a shelter into a rescue, they'd done an initial senior blood panel and had some concerns about his heart. His kidney levels at that point I believe were slightly high. He was diagnosed first with mitral valve degeneration and we spent a few weeks getting his heart meds right.

As I got to know him, his excessive thirst stood out to me, and the corresponding need to pee! He'd pant frequently, and had a hard time with being very restless at night (and we'd have to go out to pee a few times). His temperament was sweet, but he was quite docile and lazy (wouldn't walk far at all). I kept up with the vet, and we agreed to test him for Cushings and he was diagnosed on June 24th.

For two weeks he was on 5mg of Vetoryl in the AM and PM. I saw no improvement in symptoms.... he went in for his first ACTH check, and they increased to 10mg in the morning, 5mg at night this past Friday (July 10th). They did say that the numbers looked great (though I dont have the results, will ask today) and that it was now more about symptom management. Well, his activity level since the 10mg morning dose change has skyrocketed! It's adorable, he runs and runs and runs. I didn't even know this was possible for him! It's pretty great to see such a happy go lucky dog. I did read on here not to change dosage that quickly, but I am hoping that these are good signs and we'll leave him on this for at least a month. We are getting re-checked 11 days from the increase in the meantime (July 20th). I will try to find the actual test results to share as a follow up (his initial and the ACTH follow up #1)

Was curious if anyone else gives the Vetoryl twice a day? a lot of the threads I was reading administered only in the morning? What time of day?

I have been doing 9am/9pm, and the full of beans activity starts as early as 6am! After I feel like we are on the right dosage for the long haul I may play with timing. Obviously still new 'results' but he's still up to pee during the night, so it's more the first thing in the morning change I am most noticing currently. I think he may be drinking less water during the day! But still drinks a lot of water when he's up to pee during the night.

My other pressing question for the group, however, is eye related! Since June 6th, we've had three eye issues. First, a corneal ulcer which I suspected at the time was from dust after a very windy day. He completed 10days of meds, was re-checked at day 5 and all signs pointed to clearing up. He was then fine for about a week.... then had a green gunky eye discharge. Back to vet, clear of ulcer but with an infection. Treated with different eye drop antibiotics, cleared up quickly.... completed the 10 day course treatment. Again, a week of all good. Now here we are with discharge/eye irritation (this time more white discharge). Waiting to call the vet this morning. Is this Cushing's related? Unrelated? He has some cataracts, and I think it's time to see an ophthalmologist, was just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I just feel bad for his gunky winky eye!

Look forward to being a part of this community, glad I found it
    Lindsay & Skylar
    Last edited by gvlinds; 07-13-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: additional questions