Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UTI + Overnight blindness + then sudden dementia like symptoms + Cushings dx

Default Re: UTI + Overnight blindness + then sudden dementia like symptoms + Cushings dx

I think interceptor and Sentinel are Essentially the same drug.

Default Re: UTI + Overnight blindness + then sudden dementia like symptoms + Cushings dx

PetSmart should have little caps. They have a little Velcro strap under the chin to hold it on. There’s a protective visor called Optivisor. Amazon carries them. Not really expensive maybe $30. I used them on my kids after cataract surgery because the cones were so big. They really didn’t seem to mind them. Don’t know about the sun glasses. I’ve never had any luck getting mine to wear them.

The first test for Cushing’s was dex test:

Cortisol sample time 1 9:15 am
    8.5 (High) ...(reference range: 1.0-5.0 ug/dL)

Cortisol sample time 2 1:15 PM
    2.4 (High) ...(reference range: 0.0-1.4 ug/dL)

Cortisol sample time 3 5:15 PM
    5.7 (High) ...(reference range: 0.0-1.4 ug/dL)

ACTH test:
    (she took 10 mg Vetoryl pill at 8:50 am on empty stomach as vet suggested. (I had to give her a small bit of food to make sure it didn’t stay stuck in her throat though)

Time 1 11:10 am
    Cortisol sample 1: result = 3.9 ...(reference range 1.0-5.0 ug/dL)

Time 2 12:10
    Cortisol sample 2: result = 7.4 (low) ...(reference range 8.0-17.0 ug/dL)

And then I have a new urinalysis

pH: 5.5 (previous, it was 8.5 last time)

Protein: 1+ High. (It was 2+ High last time)

Bacteria: COCCI and RODS 26-50 (High)

‘Note: want to make a population of bacteria is identified using right stain, organisms appearing as Cocci may be Cocco-bacilli (very short rides). Culture is a preferred test for verifying viable bacteriuria.’

(Previously, she had “Rods 100 (High).”)

Urine microalbumin canine reflex:

Microalbuminuria: 4.6 (High) ...(reference range < 2.5 mg/dL)

(Previously, “microalbumin 10.0”)

She Peed on herself other night which was one reason I asked for a culture.
    I was sad with myself. I set an alarm to get her out every 4-5 hours (this is a huge improvement considering it used to be every 45 mins-1 hour) so she can go, but I had fallen asleep and slept through alarm.

Nights before when I had forgotten, she actually woke up and came to get me <3

I have added in low dose cranberry the last couple weeks bc when we took her to the vet for UTI, they had forgotten to get a sample (she was going to have the needle test). I wasn’t able to get an appointment so had anxiety that the bacteria would destroy her kidneys so did what I could. The vet, calmed my fears by telling me most older dogs are incontinent so not to worry.

I thought they were doing a culture this time, but it was a free catch
    (considering she came out of the vets office looking sweaty, hot, and miserable, with no smile, I thought for sure they did).

She has always comes out of vets perky and happy even last time, bc she gets to sense other doggies.

So seeing her little face so sad and she felt so hot to the touch, made me feel bad she had a rough day.

I put her in the AC, had her emergency dinner and water (... she never has eaten or drunk water in the car before (too exciting for her)...
    but I pack it just in case.

she drank a big bowl of water and some kibble.
    I promised her a nice evening walk later on and we ‘sensed’ big dogs and she was overly filled with joy and the sweet smile came back after that.

I had been wondering if the optivizor actually worked! It looked heavy in pics. So I am glad to know it works! Thank you!

They’re not as heavy as they look. I found they run a bit large. I bought two and returned the one that was too big. I also,found they have a tendency to drop forward. That was easily resolved with a narrow strap i found with Velcro which I looped around my dogs harness and then around the neck band of the optivisor. That kept it where I wanted it. They also make a narrower Cone type protector. I used the optivisor twice with good results thru their cataract surgeries.

Also, the reason he ran the Cushings test was because of obvious physical symptoms, and she had a high ALK phos, ALT, and triglycerides despite running everyday and a chicken and rice diet that didn’t bring it down. (Denamarin normalized the triglycerides and had begun to lower Alk & alt a little:

(ALK: 700 to 623;
    ALT (SGPT) went from 421 to 122* (normal is below 118)

But we began to see changes in normal BUN and creatinine and then magnesium was elevated (mag was 3.1...normal is under 2.6), but he told me still not terrible, but it freaked me out bc it’s always been normal.

She will be put her on Hills kidney diet dog food when the current bag runs out (Currently I ordered hills liver care bc we didn’t know what I was treating before Cushings.
    I do add in a little fresh chicken breast meat, 1 tsp yogurt for calcium, steamed veggies and rice (her kidney values changed/slightly elevated when I had lowered protein... she is also active)
    I use dog food to help fill in nutritional gaps a home diet could miss.
    And I just started high quality fish oil, vit e, cranberry (I give 1/6th human dose), and probiotic (Culturelle).

I’ll take any suggestions on what else I could do or any immune boosting supplements.

I wanted to add in mushroom extract but then thought what if these kids get a fungi infection from it? I know it’s healthy but wasn’t sure?

Also, has anyone here given their dog quercetin?
    I did a search on Cushing’s disease, and found that so many people have dogs that also get sarcoma. sent my spiraling.

Quercetin is suppose to be anti-cancer/prevention, but I didn’t want to overdo anything.

Unrelated to Cushing's but we give our dog Quercitin. I didn't know it was an anti-Cancer/prevention, we give it to her for allergies.

Which one do you use?

Human supplements sound so much more clean then the dog versions and half the cost!

But my vet said human supplements can’t be trusted because you don’t know what’s in the actual product as companies can say anything is in it and lie.

A lot of the human ones have formulas and I don't trust those since I don't know all of the parts. We have been using Solaray Quercitin Non Citrus.

So her right leg hasn’t been right since the vet apt.
    It hasn’t done this before.

Does anyone know what leg they do bloodwork on?
    And also, what leg they take blood pressure from or is it all of them?
    Do they record which leg they use?

She had her ACTH test tues (19th) and Wednesday woke up with her leg and I think hip (?) doing something weird and it looks ‘out of place’... like when I look at her straight ahead, the left leg has it’s normal muscle bulge, but the right leg and looks out of place.
    They are not even anymore.

I feel so awful for asking them to do a blood pressure reading on her.
    I had no idea what it involved or that “the dog struggles” as he said afterward when he called me.

What do I say when I call the vet in morning? (I feel a bit intimidated by him).

She still demanded a walk and I did not want her on the leg but she also has daily temper tantrum like a 3 year old, so ‘no’ wasn’t an option.

I’m wondering if the upper leg/hip socket is out of place? Can that happen?