Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ginger-16 yo Poochon (Bichon Poodle mix)

Default Re: Ginger-16 yo Poochon (Bichon Poodle mix)

Hi all,
    Ok let me see if I can get all this in.

Leslie
    Thank you for the info about Melissa, the very simplified versions of what you went through with your furkids regarding adrenal sizes, and your personal experiences about thyroid related issues.

Claire
    Thank you for the insight on the Bichon and Poodle breeds.

I agree the most difficult part is not knowing how the feel or what they want and yet being required to make all of the decisions.

Lori
    Thank you for providing the quote you did. I haven't been convinced it is typical Cushing's and I know I am not a vet, but like I tell others "I know my dog best."

Marianne
    Thank you for the link to MSU. I did some more digging on their site. It seems a special mailer might be needed, but I do plan on asking about the specifics of the charges. They have a ton of info on that site and even though I don't understand a lot of it there were some things which just made sense. The special mailer is $136, which makes up most of the price. They quoted I think 270 for the MSU part and everything over is our vet charges. I also read they have to prepare the sample as it is not a "whole blood" sample they want for this test. It is a serum from being ran through a centrifuge and it is supposed to be frozen and can't have certain things happen to it of which I don't understand. I do think the premium panel is our best bet because of the part about non-thyroidal illness known to be present, we may not know for sure but there is a strong possibility.

Links below if you are interested
    https://vdl.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog/Catalog.exe instructions for the premium thyroid panel
    https://cvm.msu.edu/vdl/laboratory-s...nction-in-dogs has a section explaining the difference between the standard and premium panels

Joan
    Thank you for chiming in about Melissa and your own thyroid experiences.

I will keep everyone posted on the tests and results.
    Now for today. We went and gave her a bath since she has some crusty patches on her skin. She didn't like the bath too much, but she never does. She is comfortable and asleep right now. I would love to post more pictures (and more recent), but she seems to have a knack for knowing when a camera is around and doesn't stay put long enough. We use a natural anibacterial/antifungal for her shampoo it is by Banixx and we really like it.

Thank you all again,
    Angela

Ginger had a good weekend. We decided to have her thyroid tested at MSU. She goes in for her blood draw this afternoon. Thanks again for the MSU info Marianne. When I went to the Test Catalog and looked at the premium test the info was mostly over my head, but I did get there should be a special mailer to keep the sample as near frozen as possible and on the fees page the mailer is listed at $136. I am assuming since we are so far from Michigan that is why and I would rather have a higher expense and one blood draw than have to do it multiple times because the sample wasn't good enough.

I hope the test results are back soon so this question can be answered. Let us know when can what they say! I hope Ginger is continuing to have good days!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

We got the call from the vet today and her Thyroid panel from MSU came back perfectly normal. We don't know how to feel about that. I guess we do another LDDS to check the cortisol. It seems like her belly has become more "potted" so maybe it is Cushing's after all. I am just concerned the bladder tumor could be the cause of high Cortisol levels. We would hate to start treating and not need to, but we know there is no way to know, so we just don't know what to do.

Well, I’m proud of you for persisting in getting the thyroid panel performed. That’s very interesting that Ginger’s advanced testing turned out to be normal even though those earlier basic T4 readings appeared to be low. It just goes to show that a basic T4 can be misleading unless it’s evaluated in a broader context.

So at least we’ve got another piece of information, and we can eliminate low thyroid as the cause of any of Ginger’s problems. I know that doesn’t establish what *is* the cause, but at least it helps us to narrow down the possibilities. I sure wish the water wasn’t as muddy for you, though. If you do proceed with a LDDS, we’ll definitely be anxious to hear the results.

Marianne

I've been reading some other threads and doing a lot of thinking, mulling, and just plain wondering. We have been chasing the itching thing for so long and gone to 4 different vets who practice differently. There is another thing which may be coming in to play. I know in our case we have very muddy waters and I think they are even muddier with what I've realized.

Ginger also has white dog shaking syndrome which is tremors. She has had this since we got her in 2011 at age 7. We think although we can't prove she is having focal seizures. It has gotten worse if you move toward her she does this wierd thing where she kind of backs her head away from you in a stuttering fashion. We have also the vets about it and they don't seem to understand the question. It isn't all the time and it seems to happen more when she is startled.

We also had a very odd occurance in which we rushed to the emergency vet in the middle of the night. She was asleep next to us and woke up and stretched. Not out of the ordinary, but then her neck which was all stretched out as she was looking toward the ceiling and got stuck. When she was finally able to bring her head to normal her muzzle twisted. I know it sounds super strange, but that is the only way to describe it. We were concerned about a seizure.

Back to my point. After reading some other threads I am wondering if there is a tumor (pituitary or otherwise) or something else going on in her brain. We just don't know what to do. The scavenging is the worst. The hair loss is just physical. It is just so hard when they seem so hungry.

I wish there was a way to get imaging to see any issues in the skull which were realistic.
    Angela

Another thought. In our case I wonder what the possibility might be it is atypical. The vet who interpreted the ultra sound said it wasn't likely as does her primary vet.
    Last edited by LtlBtyRam; 06-15-2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added another thought.

Still plugging away. Still giving regular baths. This is being done with love. Still unsure as to pursuing more testing and possible treatment. Our biggest concern is the scavenging. We hate to think she is always feeling hungry. Just a little update.
    Angela

Sending huge loving hugs to you and Ginger!

Still doing the same things. She has fallen off the couch a few times in the last few days. Otherwise still doing the same.

Good to hear from you again and glad to know things are continuing along the same path more or less. Falling off the couch isn't a good thing - I know I've done it myself! I hope Ginger managed with less bruising that I did.

Please keep us updated as you can!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.